Well it may only be June but, as I mentioned the other day, I’ve met one of my New Year targets by having more than 200 followers. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this blog. It’s especially impressive when you consider how wordy my posts normally are! Anyway, realising I’d hit that target half way through the year got me thinking about how my other resolutions were coming along. Attend More Tournaments Well so far I’m not doing all too well on this front. We may have been to the GW Doubles in January (and won it) but the only other tournament I’ve played in this year was Blog Wars 5. Obviously there’ll be Blog Wars 6 and the Doubles again in September but it’d be good to get to a few more tournaments in the next six months. I’ve been looking in various places across the interweb and I’ve struggled to find events that really appeal to me. Matt and I will, however, be attending a small doubles event at the Outpost in Sheffield on July 13th. There are still plenty of places left if anyone is interested by the way
Hi everyone, This post was a bit unexpected.
It’s the evening of Tuesday 18 June 2013. I have three days to go before Blog Wars 5 and there’s a lot to do before the army is ready! The picture above was taken on the 1st! This post is going to be a brief summary of my progress to date, some of the techniques and materials I have used to prepare the army and my thoughts about what’s worked and what hasn’t worked. Pulling it together: The first thing to do is to get everything stuck together. For the new kits this is a lot of fun, but for the older kits some of the mold lines are pretty substantial. I took a production line approach wherever possible for this project, assembling everything in batches, tanks, piranhas, broadsides, riptides, drones, and finally the infantry models. Working on things in groups allowed me to mix and match between the sprues, taking heads from the pathfinder sprue and arms from the tank sprue for example. The firewarrior kit has really aged and after about twenty of these guys I became convinced that an updated kit would have been fantastic. Especially if it had been made to the same quality as the pathfinder kit which is an excellent example of what Games Workshop are capable of these days. This next picture shows where I got to at the end of my plastic gluing session on the 8th June. Out of shot the piranhas are mostly done and the devilfish and hammerhead tanks are drying
Hi everyone, As promised, I have continued working on the detailing of the rhinos.
My first two thousand points of fimir are now within sight, which gives me enough to field a playable army. It’s taken almost three years from the start of the project to get to this stage. I’ve not been working on them constantly throughout that period, but pretty consistently all the same. I am not a quick painter. I can only gaze in baleful admiration at those people like Ben Johnson and the Rodge from Pointhammer who can turn out beautiful armies in a few months. But, despite that, soon (the end of September) I will be left with a momentous decision. With the fimir at playable level, I can now look to new horizons. I do still want to add more units to the fimir army, but I have two other projects (at least) that I am eager to get into. And you, dear reader, will decide which way I jump.
Hi everyone, The Daedalus project is nearly finished now.
Good news! On Tuesday I made major strides with the scratchbuilt titan. I was having trouble cutting the pvc since I don’t have a mitre. I bought one, but the saw I was using wasn’t good enough. I was getting discouraged and decided to wait till I could get a jigsaw from my parents (yeah, I know I should own one already, but I haven’t really filled out a propper tool box yet), when I had a thought. I needed to get my dremel out for another project (more on that later, I’ve been converting a Plano gun case into a mini carrying case!), why not use it to cut and sand the pvc sections so they are the right size. As you can see, this was successful! I have assembled the entire body. I even added the pistons I was missing, although there are 8 more that are supposed to be connecting the waist to the leggs I haven’t done yet. I also want to add some design to the caps on the pvc, so it looks a little less scratchbuilt. I also need to get a fine grit sandpaper to start working on cleaning up my liquid greenstuff work.
I had been discussing with Bryan of
Oops completely forgot the 2nd Dunn Deadline for 'The Tale of X Gamers' or the Horus Heresy 30k project being run by New Zealand gamers.
I like working with my hands, its one of my favourite things about 40k. I get to be nerdy while also having something “unplugged” I can work on. As a hobby veteran (I think I can call myself that at this point, I have enough armies under my belt). There is only one aspect of 40k I haven’t ever really experienced, and that is Apocalypse. But, I live near a decent game store and want to be able to throw down with their next apoc game. My Malestrom Warders (Astral Claws, Tyrant’s Legion, Lamenters) are going to be a combined force, but they lack a certain punch right now that I think could be made up for with a simple, singular centerpiece, a model that brings the army together. Of course, the only thing better than one centerpiece is two. I am planning to buy a Baneblade in the near future, which will serve as part of my Tyrant’s Legion, but I wanted something…beefier. Ah, that’s more like it The thing is…I don’t have the $500 it takes to buy one of these bad boys, so I’ve always just sighed and went about my business.