ig or tyranids? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ig or tyranids?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

ig or tyranids?

I'm not sure if this is where i should be posting this, but i'll redirect if i can find a more suitable place for it.
    i have a chaos army right now, my brother has orks. both roughly around 1000 points each. and i want to expand to another race.
    im interested in imperial guard, because i find something fascinating about how... army-like they are, and the tanks...
    on the other hand i used to play starcraft and i've always had a thing for zerg. so tyranids seem like a pretty cool way to go, and i can build a massive army with many different uses.
    I'm just wondering what anyone thinks i should go, and if anyone can tell me what models i should be going for first? i have the tyranids codex.
    ill check the gamesworkshop site and see their army lists, but any help/hints/whatever would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

IG = firepower
    Nids = close-combat
    It's up to which you prefer more.

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fifth_horseman View Post
    IG = firepower
    Nids = close-combat
    It's up to which you prefer more.
    oh contrare amigo.

IG are built for shooting, whether it's it's mobile and mech or just a play gun line, it's all about shooting.

Nids on they other hand can be shooty or close combatty. they can have a nidzilla (8 monstrous creatures, likes to shoot alot). pacing forth, blasting giant guns and making whiners cry cheese (seriously.....) or they can be a genestealer cult army, chock full of rending goodness. then swarm shooty list, with devourers (the most shooty nid gun on fex's and tyrants) and tons of little gribblys shooting like they just don't care

and did I mention 8 monstrous creatures? 9 monstrous creatuers of your opponent lets you use the red terror!

so basically:

IG= shooty, likes large numbers and heavy weapons and TANKS!

nids= close combat, shooty, swarm, nidzilla, elite not so big swarm, just plain elite and balanced
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

i had a giant post and IE decided that it would rather not send it
    anyway as i was saying
    when i play dawn of war and i get IG i like the idea of just massing gaurdsmen (people call it lame, but they dont HAVE any other units to go) and using plain numbers to overwhelm the enemy.
    the default lasguns gaurdsmen start off with are almost completely useless unless your outnumbering the enemy 4:1 and even then, some of the slightly stronger units will pose a large threat to your entire army
    i choose to go a few supports, and sentinels for anti tank with hordes of gaurdsmen
    would this work on table top or am i just dreaming?
    i also like the nids for the fact that i prefer to assault simply because you get more chances to hit/wound/kill when you have 3 attacks instead of just the one or two
    so thats what im resting on
    to be honest i would probably prefer gaurd, but only if their lazguns arnt too useless vs other basic units.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

Go 'nids man, then you can scream things like
    "Humans go squish now!"
    &
    "meh, space marines taste just like tinned spam to me!"

'Nids rule, i have never regetted starting them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by omgitsduane View Post
    i had a giant post and IE decided that it would rather not send it
    anyway as i was saying
    when i play dawn of war and i get IG i like the idea of just massing gaurdsmen (people call it lame, but they dont HAVE any other units to go) and using plain numbers to overwhelm the enemy.
    the default lasguns gaurdsmen start off with are almost completely useless unless your outnumbering the enemy 4:1 and even then, some of the slightly stronger units will pose a large threat to your entire army
    i choose to go a few supports, and sentinels for anti tank with hordes of gaurdsmen
    would this work on table top or am i just dreaming?
    i also like the nids for the fact that i prefer to assault simply because you get more chances to hit/wound/kill when you have 3 attacks instead of just the one or two
    so thats what im resting on
    to be honest i would probably prefer gaurd, but only if their lazguns arnt too useless vs other basic units.

It could work. Just get a bunch of Heavy Weapon Teams for your Heavy Support. ;Y
    You'll have to bring a bucket to keep your shooting dice in, though.

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Do you want yourself to sit back and shoot your but off just to make a wrong mistake and have something big come and devourer you. However, as a tyranid player. you dont really have to worry about any huge mistakes. Just run. It still depends on what you want.
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Yeah, Nids are probably the very best CC army out there. However, some Choas lists, or perhaps even Eldar ones might be close second... IG is, like you said, "line up, aim and shoot army", but they have such a cool hardware that a lot of people use them to field their tanks and even flyers... I myself have about 500pts of IG for my WH army and am happy with their look/role. Nids though - love th ebigger bugs, no the monster bugs, but the "middle bugs" a lot. The biggest problem I see with Nids is their relative lack of good armor save values. That's what bugs me about them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I am also primarily a chaos player.

I chose nids as my second army, and haven't regretted a second of it.

They're brilliant in that they're so different from Chaos yet equally satisfying.

IG are cool.. but i dunno.. i get the idea that they're much harder to make work if you know what i mean.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Either way - be prepared to paint A LOT of models

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast