2nd 40k Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which army?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eldar (Biel-Tan)

3 25.00%
  • Tyranids

6 50.00%
  • Orks

3 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd 40k Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd 40k Army

As the title suggests, I am looking to start my second 40k army. My first is Dark Angels, and in my (rather) backwards logic I'm thinking that if I have two armies I won't get bored of painting Dark Angels Green over and over so I'll eventually get it finshed quicker.

After looking through the other armies, I have narrowed it down to three:

Eldar: My plan is to have dire avengers and guardians along with lots of aspect warriors (Biel-Tan then). Pros: Not as many models to paint which will help my slow painting, good fluff and good models. Cons: Lots of metal models, hard playing style.

Tyranids: I love the Warrior models so plan is to have a big brood along with genestealers and other nasties. Pros: Not much armour to paint, like the fluff and with new washes I can paint them quickly. Cons: Still lots of models to paint, hard to play effectively.

Orks: Plan is lots and lots of boys. Pros: Love orky fluff, lots of plastic models and fun to play. Cons: Again, lots of models, don't know which tribe.

So, what will it be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go with orks mainly because of the new starter box and all the great models and conversion opportunities they have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's for something different to paint, then go for the Eldar. That way even in the Eldar Army you'll be changing colors schemes per unit.

--Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies.

@Egorredcloak: I am going to get the new starter box with my brother but he is going to get the ork models. I'm also not that good at converting but even then there'll still be loads of bitz swapping.

@Kitsune75: That's also one of the reasons why I might get Eldar. If I find the playing style too hard I'll still have a nicely painted army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

Tyranids are easy to paint, and it isnt too tough to make them looks good, I got tabletop quality (in my opinion, but my friends all insist I am the best painter out of our circle... maybe its the 'nids?) pretty easily on my first try. If you are an experienced painter (which it seems like you are) it will be cake to make them look good, and Warriors and Genestealers are so simple and fast you could finish a whole army in no time at all.

Of course they are the only ones I have experience in painting, but I have painted a few marines of my brother's Chaos army, and I found it a tad harder (not enough colors...).

Play wise you could have a lot of fun with a Warrior / Genestealer based army, since you could have a grand total of 8 Warrior broods in an army if you really want to use them(2 HQ, 3 Elite, and 3 Winged for Fast Attack), and Warriors are so versatile on what they can do (pretty darn good in both CC and range) you won't feel starved in either aspect.

Hope I helped!
    Last edited by Tarnag; June 29th, 2008 at 17:30.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

I wouldn't go for the Biel-Tan eldar. (Speaking of experience)
    I too have a DA army and wanted to start an eldar army. Fell in love with the green/white colours of Biel-Tan, but got bored, since the green was more or less the same that I had already painted tons of... (Now i have a small Ulthwé force instead)

So, if you want eldar, consider choosing another colour.
    On the other hand, I also have a tyranid force... (Easy to paint in quanity, mine are grey/pink)
    Last edited by The Watcher; June 29th, 2008 at 23:29.
    Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course ya can make your own craftworld.
    Craftworld Tsunami is one I made up, and I have enough models to run it in any form I wish (except Iyanden style... need more wraithguard). The base colors for my army are a bright turquois and black with bone colored weaponry. However all my aspect warriors are painted up in classic Aspect colors, therefore breaking up the monotany of the blue and black.

... Of course I liked the Turquois colous scheme that I transferred it to a Space Marine chapter I started. Lost the black but kept the bone colored weapony... and added the shiniest mithril I could use. Army looks striking ... even for a pastel.

--Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your help, I'm still stuck between Tyranids and Eldar.

@The Watcher: I know I said I was going to do Biel-Tan, I think that as I'll be using lots of aspects (dire avengers as troops) only a few models will be in the green-white scheme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh!

One thing I should bring up. Organic vs mechanical armies. That's not describing thier fluff or playstyle, but painting. Organics involves a lot of drybrushing and ink/wash use, whereas mechanical uses more of a graduated shading/highlighting technique. Tyrinids fall in the organic category, and Eldar, even though they are an "organic race" in the fluff actually lends better to the mechanical style of painting.

Most painters are good at one type, while a few are good at both. Though I'm sure that you will know where your niche is.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind.

--Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

Drybrushing for Tyranids is decently easy I have found, if you only have a bit of paint on the brush with it and move it from top to bottom carapace it is easy to achieve the color at the tips of the carapace look that GW has, but the crevices do need some ink to pull off.

If you are a really good painter, Eldar seems to be one of the best armies to let your creativity go because all of the uniqueness of the figures and the open space of the vehicles. An Eldar army on display at my local game store is simply amazing and has won Golden Daemon 1st Place twice and 2nd place twice with the army, and I don't think he could pull off the creativity that he did with any other army. The only thing you have to deal with is the dificulty to play, but I have only heard this, I haven't played Eldar at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast