Army?, Me = confused - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army?, Me = confused

hello all i am new to LO and i play a Tombking army. It seems no1 around my area plays fantasy very much and now i am looking to start a 40k army. I'm looking for an army that is hard to play with and requires good tactics to win. Playing with an overpowered or an army that is good everywhere doesnt really appeal to me, i like a hard challenge, i was leaning kinda towards eldar, but really i will play with any hard army lol

thanks in advance

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Hard army thats challenging to play... I dont think there are any challenging armies in 40K really, theyre all nucely buffed (the recent streamlining helps ). Think id have to hint at Chaos though, a single mark army maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chaos really? i thought they would of been one of th easiest they seem so stacked,and whats a single mark army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i read some articles and it seems to me that dark eldar are rarely played and are a tough army to use, so i might be swaying towards them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Dark Eldar are definately rarely used, and hard to learn with, but once you get the hang of it, they are pretty easy to win with. At least that's the impression I get with them.

If you want an army that's really challenging, maybe go for a Kroot Mercenary army. Or a radical Inquisition army (either daemonhunters or witchhunters) without Sisters of Battle or Grey Knights, or space marine allies for that matter. I would probably go with the inquisition army - Daemonhunters, with daemonhosts and a few allied groups of imperial guard. It'd be fun to build, fun to play and very colourful (and unusual).

Hmmm. What Phoenix meant by a single mark chaos army is an army where all elements are dedicated to one of the 4 chaos gods. These armies (except maybe nurgle) tend to be very good at one thing, not so good at other things and tend to have small numbers. They've been balanced out a bit better in the new codex, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would i use as core? stormtroopers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Ordo books, Yes. Either that or inducted Guard or Space Marines.

With 5th edition just over the horizon, tactics will be changing for each army.
    Though... if ya want a challange, do an Imperial Guard Infantry Assault Army. Theoretically it should work. Good tactics will be the make or break for that army. Plus it will look nice too.

--Jim
    Last edited by Kitsune75; June 30th, 2008 at 06:43. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

Yeah i'd say make a Close Combat Guard army... it's bound to be fun! And very hard to win with.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

136 (x3)

Well, I have a close combat Guard army, and it really isn't all that tough to use! Don't get me wrong, there's alot of trial and error involved, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty much plain sailing!

I wouldn't reccomend Dark Eldar - the codex is over 10 years old and they're being completely re-done next year, I believe. So if you really want a Dark Eldar army, I'd wait.

The Eldar can be quite a difficult army to play with, but again - eventually it'll get easier.

Someone already mentioned a radical Inquisition army, well I'm going to suggest a pure Grey Knight force! You will usually be horribly outnumbered and surviving the battle will rely alot on how much you can get out of your army. The fact that you will be playing different armies just makes it harder - while your men will totally out-class even other Space Marines man for man, every army will have at least one major advantage over you somewhere.

But I think it might be better to go with te Eldar or something first, if you're new to the game - because there's difficual and then there's get-down-on-your-knees-and-pray-that-you-last-longer-than-a-couple-of-turns the current points costs being what they are, pure Grey Knight forces are definately the latter!

And welcome to LO, by the way.

+ Reply to Thread