700 Pt. Daemonhunter Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I'm a new 40k player. I know the Daemonhunters are considered hard to play effectively with, but I loved the models so much that I HAD to start with them. My friend (Who's starting with Dark Angels) and I decided that our first few games should be with a small amount of models so we could paint as we played. Therefore, we set the points cap at 700 points. This is my first list, so don't be too harsh... : ) It's geared towards close combat with a squad of IST's for fire support. (I think) By the way, I'm using the special weapons that come in the boxed sets to save money for now. Later, I'll mix in your suggestions.

HQ:

Inquisitor Lord-CCW, Bolt Pistol, Icon of the Just, Psycannon bolts
    Heirophant, Sage, Mystic
    -106 points

Elites:
    Eversor Assassin
    -95 points

Troops:
    1st Grey Knights Squad-1 Justicar w/ Meltabombs, 1 GK w/ Incinerator, 3 GK's
    -165 points
    2nd Grey Knights Squad-1 Justicar w/ Meltabombs 1 GK w/ Incinerator, 3 GK's
    -165 points
    IST Squad-8 IST's 1 IST w/ Flamer 1 IST w/ Grenade Launcher
    Rhino
    -165 points

Total: 696 points

Once I get these guys painted and fighting, I think I'll get another IST squad, lose the flamer, move the GK's to fast-attack to teleport in, add a squad of termies, get a Dread, etc. This list is just for the time being. Please tell me what you all think!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

If you guys are new, you might want to try suspending the WYSIWYG rule for the time being, until you both manage to buy all that you need. This will let you experiment more without wasting money!

Inquisitor Lord-CCW, Bolt Pistol, Icon of the Just, Psycannon bolts
    Heirophant, Sage, Mystic
    -106 points
    This guy doesn't do much, the way he is. Out of everything you have, this is probably the most in need of some help. If you look around this board, you'll see two basic Inquisitor builds: the CC beast, and the Shooty guy. Both work equally well, and at this point, either one would be a good addition to your army. For a CC Inquisitor, give him a Thunder/Daemon hammer, bolt pistol, armor, and combat servitors. For a shooty one, try a psycannon, a plasma cannon servitor, and two heavy bolter servitors. Add on any equiptment or henchmen that you'd like.

If you and your friend suspend the WYSIWYG rule, I'd suggest giving your Inquisitor Lord a combi-plasmagun, and 2-3 henchmen with plasmaguns. It'll give you a nice firepower boost to help out the GK, and you can modify it however you like when you actually buy the models.

Elites:
    Eversor Assassin
    -95 points
    This guy is a great CC assassin. He'll mow through enemy troops, but might faulter against enemy HQ's. Support him with your Inquisitor's firepower and GK's might.

1st Grey Knights Squad-1 Justicar w/ Meltabombs, 1 GK w/ Incinerator, 3 GK's
    -165 points
    2nd Grey Knights Squad-1 Justicar w/ Meltabombs 1 GK w/ Incinerator, 3 GK's
    -165 points
    IST Squad-8 IST's 1 IST w/ Flamer 1 IST w/ Grenade Launcher
    Rhino
    -165 points
    Good base to work from. Unless you know your enemy has vehicles at this points value, you might not want meltabombs (10 points saved from that will buy you another guardsman, or another special weapon&#33 In the future, the IST squad should be given plasma or melta weapons, since the GK lack tank-stopping power. And the GK squads should be maxed out, but I'm sure you know that

I like this list for 700pts. Play around with the Inquisitor, he can be terrifying to your opponent when equiped right. When you get the money to buy more, first add numbers to those GK squads.

Good luck, and welcome to the game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help! Two questions:

1) I'm planning to add a squad of Termies later. Should I make the Inquisitor an Elites choice or should I make the Termies the elites choice (instead of making the BC/GM my HQ choice)? Does it matter?

2) How would you (anyone...) expand the army in general?

Thanks a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Well, if you add GK termies, you'll most likely want to take a Grand Master. A GM *has* to be an HQ choice, so him and his retinue'll be one slot. An Inquisitor Lord's only benefit over an Inquisitor is a higher max number of henchmen, one more wound, and one more attack. Unless you're tooling him up for close combat, take the cheaper Elite one (shooting Inq: 3 warriors, 2 sages, 1 mystic, so the henchmen max doesn't help you out anyways).

Expanding the army gives you a ton of choices. if you stop on over at the Daemonhunters section of this board and do a search, you'll find all the options. I'm not going to get too in depth here because it's all been said before, but these are the two basic choices:

Puritan Daemonhunters: Uses a lot of Grey Knights and GK Termies. GM & retinue as an HQ, maybe a squad of Elite termies, and 2-3 Fast Attack GK squads. For troops, you can use GK with psycannons, or the cheaper IST's in a transport. GK Dreadnoughts or shooty Inquisitors provide heavy support. (my personal favorite)

Radical Daemonhunters: Inquisitor Lord as your HQ, either CC or shooty. Induct either SM or IG for allies, and 2-3 Daemonhosts as your Elites. IST's form the troop core, and heavy support comes from the inducted armies.

Seeing as you have GK already, I'd say stick Puritan and add 20 or so GK, a Grand Master & retinue of 5-8, maybe a Dread or two and a Land Raider down the line.

Closed Thread