Best Infiltraiting CC Unit In The Game - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Best Infiltraiting CC Unit In The Game

By best, I mean really two things.

Most awesome at infiltraiting then reaking destruction.

Most awesome in the above, AND how it fits into it's army in terms of tactics, cost for what it does, integretation with the rest of the armys goals/force chart choices.

Striking Scorpions, SM Scouts, Chosen of Chaos, Nids (think they get 2 or 3 that can count here), etc all come in... Ork Kommandos, DE get a few of these, heck... think even the IG has Storm Troopers or some such that can count here don't they?

SO... no quiz... no vote war... just a flat out, post which one you think is best (or best in your opinion, which I expect no one to be humble about in anyway).

-
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

I like the IG Veteran squad - its just so darn versatile! They can be made to support your army style, whatever it may be. Outflank if you want, infiltrate if you want. (Or deepstrike with the right doctrine). They're fairly cheap too!

You can max 'em out for close combat (and they aint incredibly shoddy at it either) with 3 flamers, all close combat weapons and pistols, and a powerfist on a 3 wound 3 attacks sergeant.

You can max 'em out for shootin', with a lascannon, 3 plasmaguns and a plasmapistol. BS 4 too!

Close range anti armour? 3 BS 4 meltaguns will help. Deepstike 'em in. For ultra cheap too!

Not sure what their role is? Give 'em all shotguns and a mix of special weapons. Maybe a bunch of shotguns and grenade launchers for a really on the move unit.

Or you can mix a little of all the above into your unit if you want!

And with doctrines, they can be given 4+ armour saves. Or WS 4. Or +1 to their cover save. Or ignore negative modifiers in their Ld tests. The list goes on.

Possibly the most versatile unit in the game! (Although, admittedly, they aren't scoring units. But that can be a boon upon occasion anyway...)

So yeah, I like the IG vet squad. In my not so humble opinion! Still, might not be the best, but if it ain't, it's close!

P.S I run my 10 man vet squad with 2 meltas, 1 flamer, a powerfist, and shotguns for the rest. Scarily effective!

P.P.S I note that this thread is specifically about cc infiltrators. I was just feeling that part of what makes ig vets so good is their versatility! And cc is part of their versatility.
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; October 10th, 2008 at 01:41.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choice between two, and its only because of the unique characters.

Orks - Snikkrot Kommandoes. Here you'll use the infiltrate to get that super-outflank that snikkrot gives. 20 slugga boyz from any table edge is pretty darn good.

Space Marines - Shrike's ability to give infiltrate to whoever, so probably a group of assault termies in a land raider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Genestealers with Broodlord, hands down. So many attacks, and with their high weapon skill and feeder tendrils almost all of those will hit. They can take down ork mobs, terminators, and vehicles, so their versatility is unmatched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Side note: I hadn't been thinking of special character invoked rules when I thought of this, but technically they DO infiltrate and they ARE "In The Game"... just makes this a little more interesting.
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

A close combat oriented platoon. I know it just says one unit, but in guard terms my one "unit" is 5 ten men units with a flamer in 2 of them a melta in 3 and the command squad having 3 flamers

Then they mop up the rest in close combat.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

chaos chosen with mok and lightning claws.

on a side note: larkin, how the hell did you manage to kill a revenant with one shot?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Well Shrike really does make infiltrators into fantastic units. Considder this army...

HQ: Shrike
    Fast: he joins with 10 assault marines with a power fist.

Troops: 10 Space marine scouts with 9xBP/CCW and 1 PF & shotgun

Fast: 1 Land speeder with multimelta.

Comes in at just under 1500 points so a few flamers or plasma pistols for the assault squad. Everything but the land speeder can infiltrate and can fleet. All these units will get a first turn charge by infiltrating 18-19" away from the enemy, the scouts move their scout move 6" towards the enemy. On turn 1 they all move as far as they can and fleet a minimum of 1" so will be in 6" to assault. If the Raven Guard have the first turn then the enemy never get a shot to stop them. Tau and guard can whimper!
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    Well Shrike really does make infiltrators into fantastic units. Considder this army...

HQ: Shrike
    Fast: he joins with 10 assault marines with a power fist.

Fast: 1 Land speeder with multimelta.

Comes in at just under 1500 points so a few flamers or plasma pistols for the assault squad. Everything but the land speeder can infiltrate and can fleet. All these units will get a first turn charge by infiltrating 18-19" away from the enemy, the scouts move their scout move 6" towards the enemy. On turn 1 they all move as far as they can and fleet a minimum of 1" so will be in 6" to assault. If the Raven Guard have the first turn then the enemy never get a shot to stop them. Tau and guard can whimper!
    Bit of a gamble though -
    Just be careful if you ever actually decide to make an army like this - when deployment comes, you have to state which units are going to infiltrate and which are do other stuff, before it happens. Many guard armies (and many tau ones too) can also take infiltrating units, and a canny opponent would make you roll off to see who deploys their infiltrators first (I think. Don't have my 5th ed rulebook on me atm).

If you lose the roll off, your whole army will be pushed back a fair chunk, 'cos trust me, I'll be infiltrating my vets in the best spot possible. I might even put them spread out as much as possible in the middle of the board, so long as the landspeeder causes no trouble with this - with good views in front of and behind most terrain features, your entire army could be forced to deploy along the edges of the board and the rearmost section of your deployment zone. I've seen it happen before! And if you win, well, you still only get to deploy 1 unit before your opponent puts his down in the next best spot. And when this happens, your army is still going to be fairly bunched up.

Just something to keep in mind.

Regardless - you're very correct about Shrike creating awesome units!
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; November 13th, 2008 at 23:41.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Ignore this. I said something stupid.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast