Building 4 armies for noobs. Which ones? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building 4 armies for noobs. Which ones?

Hey, all.

I volunteer with a local youth group, and some of the guys are big into sci-fi and video games. So I figured I would build some small armies to get them interested in 40K without them having to spend all the scratch involved. I posted a similar thread in the IG sub-forum a while back, but I figured I'd open it up to the 40K group at large and get some opinions.

My question is, which four armies should I use? I was planning to go with four armies, with a "Humans vs Xenos" kind of thing going on. I've already got a bunch of Guard minis, so they're in, and the Marines are iconic, so they're in. So basically my question is, which two Xenos armies should I be starting with?

I was thinking of doing Tau and Eldar, but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, does anyone have the pdf files for "Combat Patrols" (aka "40K in 40 Minutes) that they could send me, or the direct link to download the files? They used to be on the GW website, but I haven't been able to find them since the site update.

Emperor Protect ... my pants!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

For xeno's armies I would go with the Orks as they are a fairly easy army to play and very cool so the younger less experienced players would have reasons to use them, also if you're getting marines and orks you can save some money with AoBR The Tau or the Necrons would probobly be the best other army, as with Tau all you have to learn to be half decent is target priority and you can use the long range of pulse rifles to devastating effect. A downside to tau can be that the game isn't always as fun as it can be Player A runs at gunline and either gets shot up too much and loses or makes it to combat and completely destroys gunline. The Necrons are very tough and forgiving of a new players mistakes, also just about any unit can damage vehicles, but if the players are assembling their own armies then all the metal models can discourage them before they've even played a game, and the Necrons lack customiblity.

Also what age are the kids youvolinteer with as I wouldn't teach them 40k if they were under 12 because the rules are fairly complex and young kids will keep getting mixed up and would rather play than read the rulebook.

I'll private message the combat patol rules to you but i'm sorry the web page was shut down ever since GW changed sites and my scanner wasn't working so i can't send you the PDF version i have printed.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, all the kids involved are older, in the 15 to 18 range.

And thanks for the CP rules.
    Emperor Protect ... my pants!

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

do orks and necrons, orks are fun and easy to play as

necrons seem to be the strongest army in 40k(at least to me)

give a newbie a necron army, and even a veteran has difficulty against it!(I speak from expierence, guard vs necron, necron was a 4 time player........I only won because of objective, there was no way in hell that I was going to phase him out!

just remind your necron player to take a lord with a ressurection orb, and add it to the necron warrior squad, and keep a tomb spider or 2 near the other squads so that they can rebuild too.
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vorocano View Post
    And thanks for the CP rules.
    Your welcome
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Necrons are too similar to Marines in the way they operate, especially at the Combat Patrol level where the rules and available points restrict unit types and army sizes. I would go Orks and Tyranids for more play-style diversity.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; January 3rd, 2009 at 15:48.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Orks and Nids maybe. Or else Orks and Chaos. I say Orks because they will be relativley easy to use and Nids to keep the whole Xenos thing going.

My second suggestion is for something easy to learn with-Chaos (like Marines obviously) are forgiving enough. That and Choas have better armour saves so can last longer. It might be a bit of a downer starting out facing Marines or super-shooty IG when your armour is 5+/6+.

(I know Nids can be customise to have better saves but starting out best stay away from complicating things with wargear/upgrades)
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I'd say go with eldar and orks. Orks are fairly forgiving and easy to learn the basics with, and eldar are a glass cannon no matter what point level you play, which is completely different from the rest of the armies listed ( also would let people play with a farseer for psyker powers ). Barring the eldar I say Nids to show the xenos part ( tau don't really look inhuman unless you model them without helmets ).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

I would suggest Orks and Tau. It gives you a wide variety of play styles and of armor saves. Eldar rely on speed and at low points values it is hard to get speed and power into an eldar list, especially given our lack luster troops. Dark Eldar would be an option, but given their difficulty in being purchased I'd hesitate to turn new comers onto them unless they really wanted something fast, hard hitting, and fragile.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little suggestion, I wouldn't suggest giving CSM to the kids. An army of dark god worshipping psychopaths isn't the best thing to bring to a youth group

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast