525 Pt Tyranid Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my very first Warhammer 40k army. It's only 525 pts, but I put it all together on Sat so I could play with the group I've been watching lately. Played a Blood Angels Army w/Death Company(?) Squad. I love Rending Claws, but the Death Company squad didn't. I'm also looking at how to expand this particular army to 1000 and 1500 pts. Advice appreciated. Here's the list.

( Horma (Sort of) Gaunts - Leaping, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, Extended Carapace + 1 Hive Node for the Brood - 98pts

( Terma (Again sort of) Gaunts - Enhanced senses, Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace, Devourer, + 1 Hive Node for the Brood - 106 pts

(12) Genestealers (Stock) - 192 pts

(3) Warriors - Extended Carapace and Implant Attack
    1 w/Spinefist and Devourer (I'm changing this. He was completely useless.) - 41 pts
    1 w/Venom Cannon and Scything Talons - 49 pts
    1 w/Deathspitter and Scything Talons - 39 pts

I also already have the following models still on sprues. I'm just throwing this out there so I can figure out when I'm going to need to stock up again.

12 Genestealers
    8 and 8 Terma and Horma gaunts
    1 Hive Tyrant
    and more ripper swarms than you can shake a stick at.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id suggest switch the termies with spinegaunts

double or triple the broods size then itll be ready

hormies no gaunt should have ext car it wont hardly help at all
    dont make them cost more then 11 or 12 points max
    hardly earn their points on a big table

Id make the warriors CC with ren clws too

much more effective
    wouldnt use the rippers unlees you have 10 and are facing an army with a daemon prince for example

HT 4x st warp blast and wings
    W/D/L

Hivefleet Omalancho 1/0/0 my current army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Originally posted by Doublefine@Aug 29 2004, 202
    ( Horma (Sort of) Gaunts - Leaping, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, Extended Carapace + 1 Hive Node for the Brood - 98pts
    --- As You noted, "sorta"... So come up with a name of Your own.

But please, don't waste points on ExtCar. Why?

Simple: ExtCar is absolutely useless against the majority of ranged weapons. Bolters, for example, will still blast Your ExtCar Gaunts to pieces as easily as before.

Once You get into CC Your save is marginally better... However, since You've spent unecessary points on Gaunts, You have fielded less Gaunts than You could, and thus the casualties You suffered in the shooting phase will render the Gaunts less capable in the following CC.

So when it comes to EC on Gaunts (and 'Stealers, for that matter), just say no.

Otherwise, Deathgaunts (Codex specification for Leaping, ToxSac, ScyTal Gaunt) can be pretty good, especially against SM, Orks and Necron.

( Terma (Again sort of) Gaunts - Enhanced senses, Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace, Devourer, + 1 Hive Node for the Brood - 106 pts
    --- To expensive for a shooty Gaunt... Most Tyranid shooting is not too effective, and this applies especially for Gaunts. Crud range, crud strength, crud accuracy.

The only type of commonly encountered ranged Gaunt is the Spinegaunt (Gaunt + SFist), and that's nothing to do with its ranged capability... It's simply too cheap to pass, and as such used as mass fodder.

Since Gaunt shooting sucks, I (and most other Tyranids) prefer the cheapest sucker.

(12) Genestealers (Stock) - 192 pts
    --- Ok, but You will need to use terrain to utmost effect... And in small point games I'd stick to 8-10 'Stealers.

I also recommend having two broods of Leaping Gaunts of 14+ models each before taking any 'Stealers... The Gaunts engage the enemy in CC, thus blocking LOS and ensuring that the 'Stealers reach CC with less casualties.

(3) Warriors - Extended Carapace and Implant Attack
    1 w/Spinefist and Devourer (I'm changing this. He was completely useless.) - 41 pts
    1 w/Venom Cannon and Scything Talons - 49 pts
    1 w/Deathspitter and Scything Talons - 39 pts
    --- Nice call on the SFist + Devourer one!

ExtCar: Essential.

ImpAtt: These are shooty Warriors, and as such I wouldn't bother giving them a CC Biomorph. Especially in small points, where You won't be facing many multiwounders anyway... They have absolutely zero effect on single-wound models, since the extra wound is applied to the model, not the unit.

And I prefer my Warriors either purely shooty or purely CC...

Shooty Warriors, Mutable:
    EnhSen
    ToxSac
    ExtCar
    DSpitter + ScyTal, 1 in brood ScyTal + VCannon

12 Genestealers
    --- Ok, though You will need more points in Gaunts... Cheap massed troops with some big nasty monsters is where Tyranids are best at the moment, so it won't pay spending too much on 'Stealers unless playing a Seeding Swarm army.

8 and 8 Terma and Horma gaunts
    --- These You will need to get more of.

I'd suggest making the walking Gaunts ("Terma") into Spinegaunts, and the Leaping Gaunts into whatever variety You choose. Please note that with Leaping Gaunts, a very good base is Gaunt + Leaping + ScyTal + 1 additional Biomorph (usually either AdrG WS, AdrG I or ToxSac), since this doesn't make them too costly which is the etire point of the fragile but quick Gaunt troops.

1 Hive Tyrant
    --- Any plans for this?

My common Tyrant is:

Wings or Walking

AdrG WS
    EnhSen
    ToxSac
    AdrG I
    ExtCar
    ImpAtt

If walking, FlsHks

Bioweapons:
    2x ScyTal, WBlast (usually Winged, but have fielded walkers with good results)

or

ScyTal + VCannon (always walking)

If walking Tyrant in a game of 1500pts or more, add Guard. I often even add Guard to a Winged Tyrant, then leave them and let the Carnifex join the Guards instead. If Guard with a walking Tyrant, Guards also get FlsHks.

and more ripper swarms than you can shake a stick at.
    --- I rather dislike Rippers, and as such wouldn't bother with them... But I'm biased. Some people have used them with relatively good efficiency, but they just don't seem to match my tactics.

I'd much rather spend the points on more Leaping Gaunts!
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are spending a bit too much points on your troops. Try to change the termies into spinegaunts as everyone else has said already. Hive tyrants are amazing in 800+ point games. You have way too many stealers in your army, try fielding them in 1000+ point games, they seem more effective for me. Also your hormagaunts don't need extended caraspace as uzi said already. Great choice in starting nids
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okie, here's a revised list.

(10) Deathgaunts w/1 hivenode - 120pts

( Spinegaunts w/1 hivenode -50pts

(12) Genestealers - 192pts

(3) Warriors w/ Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, and Extended Carapace
    2 w/ Deathspitter and Scy Talons - 68pts
    1 w/Venom cannon and Scy Talons - 56pts

(2) Ripper Swarms - 20pts

Grand Total 506pts

Let me know what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Uzi-99@Aug 30 2004, 03:16
    --- Any plans for this?
    [snapback]204778[/snapback]
    Actually I was thinking:

Hive Tyrant
    Winged
    Warp Blast
    2x Scything Talons
    Adrenal Gland WS and Init
    Toxin Sacs
    and Extended Carapace

Grand total: 186pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O...K...this is the second time in twelve hours I've revised this list...I think this one will be the final time for a while...let me know what you think.

(11) Deathgaunts w/1 hivenode - 131pts

( Spinegaunts w/1 hivenode -50pts

(12) Genestealers - 192pts

(3) Warriors w/ Adrenal Gland(Init), Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, and Extended Carapace
    2 w/ Deathspitter and Scy Talons - 70pts
    1 w/Venom cannon and Scy Talons - 57pts

That's an even 500pts.

Here's my thoughts on a 1000pt army.

(16) Deathgaunts w/1 hivenode - 186pts

(16) Spinegaunts w/1 hivenode -90pts

(24) Genestealers - 384pts

(3) Warriors w/Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, and Extended Carapace
    2 w/ Deathspitter and Scy Talons - 68pts
    1 w/Venom cannon and Scy Talons - 56pts

(1) Hive Tyrant w/Winged, Warp Blast, 2x Scything Talons, Adrenal Gland WS and Init, Toxin Sacs, and Extended Carapace - 186pts

(3) Ripper Swarms - 30pts

and that's 1000pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Seems pretty ok... Though I really do suggest getting EnhSen for the Tyrant! It can be the most accurate shot in the swarm, so I for one would not waste the capability. With Wings, You'll be getting 1-2 shots off with WBlast... Wouldn't You rather hit with it?

Odds are You'll be doing well worth the 28pts (WBlst + EnhS) worth of damage with it!

Points? Easy... Drop the Rippers! :rolleyes:
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against Space marine armies take out a couple Genstealers and ad in like 2 Zoanthropes.(warp blast)

FOR FREEDOM, FOR HONOUR, FOR BLOOD

Closed Thread