Iyanden 2000 Points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what will eventually be my standard Iyanden list (I just started collecting them so I don't have nearly this much yet.) What do you guys think, especially in the context of 4th edition?

HQ:
    1 Farseer with Mind war and runes of witnessing.
    1 Avatar

Troops:
    3x 5 Wraithguard + Warlock w/ Conceal
    3x Wraithlord w/ Bright Lance

Elites:
    10 scorpions with exarch (scorpions claw and stealth)
    10 Banshees with exarch (executioner)

Fast Attack:
    Viper w/ Starcannon, Holo-fields, Spirit-Stones

Heavy Support:
    Falcon w/ Star Cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit-Stones

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I really like the layout of your troops choices, I would consider giving one of your wraithlords a starcannon or maybe a missle launcher to be able to serve a slightly more antiinfantry role if needed. If you are a creative modeller, you can easily setup an interchangeable mounting system for the weapons.

While the Holofield and spirit stones are VERY useful vehicle options, I would reccommend against giving them to the Vypers. The amount they increase their cost just makes them that much more of a tempting target, and even with glancing hits only for moving fast, a full squad of ranged bolter fire will bring them down too often, especially under the new cumulative damage rules in 4th edition (no more being saved by repetitive weapon destroyed rolls). At 65 points a piece with the starcannon, losing a vyper is not the end of the world, whereas at 100 points each it can start to sting. The Falcon with the spirit stones stones and the holofield on the other hand is a good choice, but keep in mind that it no longer blocks line of sight under the 4th ed rules, nor do the Vypers.

Against a fast decent-ranged army (vanilla Eldar, dark Eldar, cult of speed, transport heavy army) you may run into trouble with this list as it is rather slow moving and generally short-ranged. The Wriathlords can usually take care of most transports from range, especially if you decide to go with the brightlances.

The Banshees will make for a good unit to advance behind the main line to use as melee support when your opponents hit your lines, but running them out infront of the main body of troops is not going to be a great idea since they will probably be fast enough to get themselves exposed if you are not careful. The Scorpions with stealth just strike me as unnecessary somehow. Infiltrating them with stealth will again probably leave them isolated and too far away from help in the event that they are overwhelmed, A Wave serpent might help them out a bit, or just march them up with the main force since they won't be left behind for a change.

I feel that the Avatar might be a bit unnecessary in this list as all your troops choices are already fearless and slow, so there is no real need for the added melee monster. One Iyanden tactic I have heard of (in a "how to beat Eldar" article by an individual posting as Jackwraith, a VERY knowledgeable individual) which would let you keep your Avatar is fairly simple to implement with your list and maybe an addition if you have the points. Because your army is dominantly fearless, maybe add a squad of guardians (storm guardians or guardian defenders, it depends on your preference and your opponent's army.) and keep them within 12" of the Avatar. They are only 8 points a piece, and when within 12" of their molten idol they will be fearless in close combat (as will everything else within 12" of the Avatar), also ALL Eldar units within 12" get to add +1 to their combat resolution score in close combat, turning your army into a serious problem for any enemy to face in hand to hand, which may have been your plan all along. Just march them into the enemy with the Avatar relatvely in the center for those sweet bonuses, though you might want to position a wroithlord closer to the enemy on both sides of him so they can't pick him off as easily under the new rules. 20 guardians of either type will run you 160 points before any upgrades are selected, providing either ALOT of short-ranged punch before charging into h2h, or alot more attacks once they are in h2h. Personally I am a big fan of the defenders, especially under the 4th ed rules, and they are easier on the wallet as well.

Maybe something I suggested will be of some help, those are just my observations as an Eldar player. Best of luck, I hope to field an Iyanden army myself someday.
    Games Workshop is the Wal-Mart of hobby products, except for the low prices. The lack of respect and profit mongering is there in spades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Sigh, ok the main point, the one thing that sticks out above all others on this list is the vypers thing.

Vypers are fragile. it is concievable that you may give them CTM if you are gonna hve to cove to play hide and seek, but never ever ever waste points on spirit stones and holo fields. Ditch them, as a basic, use the points to upgrade the vypers shuriken catapults to shuriken cannon, that will give you an extra 3 shots at the same strength as the sar cannon and although it wont ignore armour, if the rumours are true, it may get rending with the new codex
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had one as well i used against necrons.

HQ:
    Farseer: Forturne, Witchblade

Troops:
    2x 5 Wraithguard: Warlock, Witchblade, Conceal
    5 Wraithguards: Warlock, Singing spear, Enhance. in serpant with Twin B.Lances
    2x Wraithlords: Starcannons
    Wraithlord: B.Lances

Heavy:
    3 D-Cannons: warlock, Conceal
    15 Guardians: Warlock, Conceal, Starcannon
    4 Reapers

And about 200 pts of other stuff i cant think of. I think i had a viper and scorpions, but not too sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you bosco, that was an amazingly useful post! I'll say of the vypers, my friend who plays ulthwe uses vypers in this configuration, and they are very difficult to bring down, although you're right that the points cost is an issue. As far as infiltrating scorpions, my thought was to force the enemy to split his advance. Some of his units would have to deal with the scorpions, the others would have to deal with the rest of my force. It might not be the best in every situation, but I think in alot of situations having infiltrators is a nice thing. As far as the Avatar goes, my plan was to have him marching forward with my wraithguard with the banshees behind, and go from there. Sadly the screening doesn't work, but I think I could get them into assault fairly easily.

If I drop the spirit stones and holofields on the vypers, that frees up 105 extra points. Any suggestions on where to put that (it only gets me 13 guardians)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13 guardian defenders = 26 strength 4, AP5 shots before charging in, outnumbering most enemies, and throw 26 initiative 4 attacks, assuming they all survive to reach their target.

13 storm guardians = at least 13 pistol shots before charging and throwing 39 initiative 4 attacks in the same round. Personally I don't like to field storm guardians w/o enhance, which there isn't really the points for unless you want a smaller squad. The defenders on the other hand, have more high strength attacks which are not going to be dependant on them being the fastest to get, and will ignore at least some armor saves, and they do not absolutely have to commit to a charge to still have a strong effect.

Given a choice between the two options, I would field the 13 defenders. They won't be so threatening to most players that they will be a prime target, yet are capable of enough damage that they can make a healthy difference. If you opponent does decide to target them instead of one of your more expensive wraithguard or close-combat squads, great, worst case you are out 104 points.

Alot of people have been complaining that the new rapid-fire rules have rendered the shuriken catapult useless, I couldn't disagree more. If anything, the new weapon rules and how they effect charging, have made the shuri-cat an even more appealing weapon for the Eldar as now you get to make use of a hail of inexpensive firepower before you charge (with full benefits) that same cheap unit into the remnants of a squad that almost certainly cost more, and with the added bonus that you got to "fleet" your way into a better position prior to that turn. If marines/guard/sisters/anyone-else-with-a-rapid-fire want to charge you thats just fine, but their standard troopers won't get the option to soften you up first. A full squad of marines (150 points base) might be able eventually beat over twice their number in guardians in a prolonged melee, but it should take them a good long time before they accomplish it. Whereas a squad of 20 guardians (160points) shooting, then assaulting that same squad should be able to gun down 3-4 of those marines in the initial salvo and then probably kill another 2-3 in the charge that follows. Personally, I like those odds.

Thats all a bit beyond your question as to whether or not 13 guardians are worth it or not, but hopefully it helps to illustrate their value. You could use 3 jetbikes for 105 points, but I think they would get killed long before they really earned their points back?
    Games Workshop is the Wal-Mart of hobby products, except for the low prices. The lack of respect and profit mongering is there in spades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Well nowerdays I mostly play Saim Hann, my Ulthwe resting, and I play them for fun, not to win, I would really say stay away from jetbikes as Bosco says.

The vyper thing, I cant believe John, that ou struggle to take out vypers in that config, remember they are open topped, all damage rolls are at +1, a squad of marines with bolters can easily wreck an entire squad of vypers (Saim hann can put 18 of them on the field and I can get close to this if I use my Ulthwe painted vypers)

I would agree with Bosco on the guardian front too, although rather than 13 stormies take a warlock with enhance and as many stormies as you can muster, this could be used to a degree to shield banshees although I would be tempted to try and get some points from elsewhere and get the banshees a serpent
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alrighty, thanks to everyone who's written, these have been some great suggestions. Taking them into account, I decided to go with the wave serpent idea rather than the guardians, and as such here's the revised list.

Farseer w/Mindwar

3xWraithguard with Warlock w/Conceal
    3xwraithlord with Brightlance

9 Banshees (exarch w/execution) in wave serpent w/Spirit Stones and Holo-field
    10 Scorpions (exarch w/scorpions claw and stealth)

3xVyper w/Star Cannons
    Falcon w/ Star Cannon, holo-field and spirit stones

Closed Thread