First Army: Salamanders, Black Templar, CSM, or Ork - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Army: Salamanders, Black Templar, CSM, or Ork

Trying to decide on the entitled armies for my first go at 40k. I really like the Ork Kultur but not a big fan of horde armies. I have a family and my game time is limited I don't need to add that by moving units of 30 boyz here and there. I am not a big fan of tanks/transports, I'd rather footslog it. Salamanders look cool, love the green look the scales coming off of them everything, I love the idea of flame throwers too. BT look awesome, I like the lore. CSM love the plague marines the Forgeworld Death Guard accessories and the Daemon Prince is just a beast. I have AoBR and both the SM and Ork Codex already but I don't want something too pricey, already dropping a lot on my Fantasy Ogres, I realize this is not a cheap army but would love to get a 1,500+ pt army going for like $300 if possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Replace 'Black Templar' with 'Eldar', and you have (in my opinion) the 4 best races to start with.

The problem is, footslogging it is very tricky these days, because of how easily the Imperial Guard can wipe out units (even marines) that are on foot. If you don't like large groups of Orks, then what about Ork bikers? Ork units need to either be 20+ in size or in a transport, preferably both (20 boyz in a battlewagon).

Based on what you've posted, I'd say the best choices are either a Chaos Marine army (no regular Chaos Marines, only the god specific troops) as they work alright on foot, or an Ork biker list. Both would also be affordable, as long as you used regular plastic marines (check ebay) and did some conversion, rather than buy the pewter chaos troops.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip. What is a good way to start a CSM army? I have the AoBR box set with mostly unpainted models. I could strip the paint and add some green stuff and zombie heads and GS their army to make some plague marines. I do love the deamon prince and think he is probably my favorite HQ and I hear he is a beast. Kind of torn between Nurgle and Thousand Sons, maybe run both dunno so many choices with CSM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salamander marines can't take 2x flamers or meltaguns so are a little gimped compared to 3rd edition. Also armies that excel at close firefights tend to die to assault... I love salamander theme but they seem a bit weak

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Starting Chaos is very easy. Just decide which god, or in some extreme cases, all the Gods. Then buy some basic Chaos Marines, a Daemon Prince, and some Rhino's. From there add some Cult troops, and some Vindicators/Defilers/Obliterators. Finally, Terminators and possibly a Land Raider.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

+ Reply to Thread