Is a non-vehicle list possible? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Is a non-vehicle list possible?

Good morning,

Today I'm looking for help from 40k players in general.

With the current 40k rulebook, the overwhelming opinion is that transports are "king". Now I'm not a big transport fan, but I like bowling over opposing squads anywhere I can.

Now, is there a race out there which would give me the force I want? I was looking into Tyranids and Orks for their ability to "swarm" over everything, a Tau force with just 1 fire warrior team for the min, maybe a "Marine" force can get away with standard troops and tanks, or a Necron force to march through everything?

Any and all opinions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SheBeast76; September 22nd, 2010 at 14:07. Reason: typos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

It's not so much that transports are king, it's more ALL vehicles have an advantage. You can get around this, as long as you have the maneuverability to cope - Blood Angels, Tyranids and Daemons can all cope with an opposing mech list. The trick is to make sure 1) you have enough anti-tank weaponry 2) you're fast enough that the opponent can't run rings around you and 3) you can survive a turn or two of being pounded by tank weaponry

Tau need vehicles like fish need water
    Orks really need vehicles to get into combat quickly enough (I don't think even a horde swarm of them would make it across the table without taking massive casualties)
    Daemons with their DS deployment and flying (or jetbike) units do quite well against transport lists
    Blood Angels do both mech and jump lists very well
    Necrons are just generally weak at the moment, they're not unwinnable but it is harder thanks to Phase Out but have lots of jetbike style units
    Nids can be quick, sneaky or DS so as long as you've got plenty of tank killers you can do well
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LeapingLizard76 View Post
    Now I'm not a big transport fan, but I like bowling over opposing squads anywhere I can.
    Aside from the obvious daemons and nids options and jump-pack angels, there are a number of bike-heavy builds - ork nobs, eldar seer council, marine bikes/ravenwing.

Radical/zealot witch hunters are awful from a competitive standpoint but can certainly bowl things over on contact (or get annihilated themselves, no half measures).

Wolves and templars can field quite a strong non-mechanized component but benefit from mixing it in, as do orks, though things like kan-walls, longfang/thunderwolves, big crusader squads, etc can occupy a fair chunk of your list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

The above posters are correct, but I want to stress: you can deal with transports, but not without speed. The only lists that work without transports are the ones that are very fast without them (bike/jump/nids lists), or can outflank/deepstrike. Maneuvering in response to your enemy's movements is vital, and something an entirely foot based army can't do well.

The only possible exception are Ork walker lists, with 9 killa kans, 1-2 deff dreads, 1-2 KFF's to give them all a 4+ obscurement save, and a ton of boyz marching behind them. The main problem with that list, however, is that in dawn of war missions you're going to be at a disadvantage, since all your killa kans will be 12in further back than normal, and not in the front lines, where you want them.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Well, I have to chime in about a Daemon army. They Deep Strike around the board just about anywhere they want and have only one Vehicle and that's good ole Soul Grinder, which is on of the best Walkers in the game in my view. This army starts half of it's units in reserve and all units Deep Strike in. There is a catch of course; Daemons follow the four Gods of Chaos and each have units with their own strengths and weaknesses. It is important to field a balanced Daemon army if you are to win. I find the Daemons stack up well against most armies.

+ Reply to Thread