Dark Eldar or Tau? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Eldar or Tau?

The other day I went to my local GW and saw a dark eldar army and fell in love. But I also want to start Taught. I figured I'd try tau cuz they're different from my usual play style, fast assaulty armies. Now I'm at a cross roads on which one to start. I was thinking about waiting with tau till they get redone, though sounds like that'll be a while, cuz of the release of tomb kings in may is gunna make me jump over to fantasy for awhile. Any advice or ideas to help push me along to an army will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it depends. It takes a lot more skill to play tau because they have such an old codex, so some units and equipment are completely redundant. Plus, you can't really customise their troop choices to do anything other than...little to nothing. fire warriors, a 1+ choice, have little more than a long-range bolter with +1 strength and a 4+ armour save. Combine this with a low BS, WS, toughness, strength, initiative, and LD, and you get a costly and lousy troop choice. A lot of tau stuff is really bad, and that's coming from a tau player. It takes a great deal of skill to play them, and even more to win with them. Having said that, they have, as far as I'm aware, the ONLY str10 ap1 gun in the game. If you want an easier army, do dark eldar. Since they have a new codex, none of their stuff is completely useless, so there are no bad choices to make. I don't know about DE a lot, since I don't play them, but I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you about them in-depth.

The main thing I can say to you about tau that not many other people will, is: Don't be fooled into making a static gunline. Their warriors aren't durable enough, and skimmers were made to move. They don't like combat though, so smart people will put up a close range firefight.
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I was going to make the Tau my next army, not because they are the best or most competitive, but because they are not a MEQ army and I like the look of the models. I know everyone chooses an army for different reasons and maybe you should ask yourself what your reason is. Right now, Dark Eldar are probably easier to win with. But Tau are due for a new codex relatively soon which could level the playing field so to speak. I had a buddy collect about 1700 points of DE only to turn around and sell it. He wasn't winning a lot with them so he bought a bunch of Space Wolves. His reason to collect an army was to be very competitive. If you want a shooty army, pick Tau. If you want a fast army with some shooting and some assaults, pick DE.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

If you want a balanced, competitive army today, go with Dark Eldar...if you want to start building models now to be ready to suck up some codex-creep largesse (and have little hobbying work to do to get a top-shelf army out quickly) when the next tau codex is released, go tau! You can be sure that most of what's in the codex is sticking around...fire warriors, pathfinders, battlesuits, skimmers...they'll still be around. If anything, you'll get new wargear options in addition to some new units. Maybe sniper drones will go away? I can't see anything else getting dropped, though.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread