Most powerful Unit and IC. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Most powerful Unit and IC.

My local GW is holding a mini tournie where you can have any units from any codex in your army as long as it follows force organisation charts. I wish to know the most powerful IC and unit from any codex so I can put Eldrad Ulthran in with them. So give me your opinions as to who kicks ass the hardest in 40k.

"Reached under the bed and pulled out a Converse and a beer, I appear to of developed the miraculous power to turn shoes into beer!.... or beer into shoes." - Fallen Autarch after St. Patricks day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

As for Daemons, this question is a bit muddy when it comes to IC's. The best HQ's are not IC's and there are only three IC's to choose from (the Masque is not an IC). So I would say Skulltaker on a chariot is the best Daemonic IC, but as far as other IC's, he's not that strong. The best unit can mean a lot of things, best troop, elite, fast attack etc or just the best thing we have. I'm not sure what you want so I'll go this way: (IMO) HQ- Fateweaver, Elite - Bloodcrushers, Troops - (tough choice) Pink Horrors w/ Changling, Fast Attack - Screamers (vs mech), Flesh Hounds (vs infantry), Heavy - Tzeentch Daemon Prince.
    I'll try Chaos Space Marines too, again IMO only: IC - Abaddon, HQ - Ahriman (or a tricked out Lash Prince), Elite - Tzeentch Terminators, Troops - Khorne Berserkers (vs assaults) CSM (vs all others), Fast Attack - all suck, but Raptors if tricked out ok, Heavy - Obliterators x 3.
    Best Overall Daemon = Fateweaver, Best Overall CSM = Abaddon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

The most powerful straight-up IC is Abaddon (CSM), even with the chance of hurting himself, although Draigo (GK) will munch through virtually every other IC around, and provides a few army-wide bonuses. The most powerful unit would be Paladins (GK), but they go through points like a guy in the Sahara goes through water, on something of the order of 655pt for a 10-man unit.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

strongest- Swarmlord^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Hmmm, well to make the question clearer mabey If I asked in a points to effectiveness ratio which squads would be most utilitarian. I.e they can destroy tanks via shooting or assault and still kick infantry ass. They point limit is 1k so I'm thinking of taking Cortez and a few 3 man squads to stick in a dedicated's as my troops. After that its a question What can I buy that will Do allot of damage and can be well complimented by other armies models.
    For instance I could take all the assualtie orks in the world and then back them up with Tau shooting or some other race for example. So mabey a really nice squad with fortune/doom seer in it. Re-rollable saves with Daemons may be nice or assault termies with Storm shields. So any Ideas you guys have as to whats the most effective IC's and squads would be nice in context to what I've mentioned. Abbadon might be a good choice as already mentioned as well.
    "Reached under the bed and pulled out a Converse and a beer, I appear to of developed the miraculous power to turn shoes into beer!.... or beer into shoes." - Fallen Autarch after St. Patricks day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I would reccomend you look at nabbing yourself a unit or two of Black Templar Terminators as they are the only Terminators (non GK that is) that have access to two heavy weapons in a 5 man squad. In addition they are allowed one of three USR's for a relative cheap cost. For example you could take:

5 Terminators Tank Hunters 2 Assault Cannons 255pts

This squad pops out the equivalent of 6 strength 5 shots and 8 strength 7 Rending shots againsty any armour value while still boasting 5 Power Fists (strength 9 against anything with an Armour Value) and a 2+ 5++ save. Alternatively you cvould swap out the Assault Cannons for Cyclone Missile Launchers, in this case your Terminators would maintain use of their Storm Bolters and gain 4 Frag or Krak Missiles per turn, remembering that those Missiles are resolved at Strength 9 against armour.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

At 1k points I'd just be tempted to go IG Veterans in Chimeras for troop choices, 2 Exorcists, and some Fireknife Crisis suits for elites, with a bargain-bin inquisitor from the GK dex for HQ. The best shooting from 3 different codecies and the cheapest HQ I can think of.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    421 (x8)

Lysander with thunder hammer stormshield termies or sternguard?
    One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Hmm Lysander would be nice actually, I might look into the Imperial guard vets as well. Thanks lads keep the Ideas coming please. At this rate I will be able to table an army that can smack anybody about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

Just remember: If you try to do everything, you will do nothing well. The units that can both assault and shoot well pay through the nose for it, which can leave your model count critically low in smaller games. It's all about list synergy - your units need to be able support each other. A lone unit is a dead unit, no matter how good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast