Librarium Online Forums banner

56th Ikoli Sentries

916 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Archaon 
#1 ·
500 point IG army list

Doctrines:
Heavy Weapon Platoons
Drop Troops (not sure I'll use it though...)
Close Order Drill

HQ

56th Ikoli company command
Led by Senior Officer Alexei Viorvol (w. Bolter)
+ 4 guardsmen

(56)

8th Iron Breaker Battalion (Anti Tank Squad)
- 3 missile launchers

(95)

Troops

Blue Platoon
Command Section
Led by Junior Officer Piotr Aminitz (w. Bolter)
+4 guardsmen

(41)

Prokhopelov’s squad
Led by Sergeant Sergei Prokhopelov (w. Laspistol and CCW)
+9 guardsmen (1 w. Grenade Launcher)

(68)

Desiir’s squad
Led by Sergeant Javier Desiir (w. Laspistol and CCW)
+9 guardsmen (1 w. Grenade Launcher)

(68)

Green Platoon
Command Section
Led by Junior Officer Dimitri Zirinovski
+4 Guardsmen

(40)

Tereklov’s squad
Led by Sergeant Artarine Tereklov (w. Shotgun)
+9 guardsmen (1 w. Flamer)

(66)

Uljanovitz’s squad
Led by Sergeant Vladimir Uljanovitz (w. Shotgun)
+9 Guardsmen (1 w. Flamer)

(66)

Total Cost: 500 (oh yes...smoooooth. :D )

I'm planning to square off against Tau.
The plan is:
Infantry platoons advance down the board hugging any and all cover, even going through it if neccessary.
Anti tank squad lays down some fire into any battlesuits that are around and the Command HQ sticks back and protects the Anti Tank fellows...just in case.
The Flamer squads will go FW roasting and then eventually go into CC with the FW's while the Grenade launchers will hopefully be tackling FW's as well...but in case something goes horribly wrong I plan to send them towards the Battlesuits.
The command sections follow their squads.

Constructive comments are welcome and HIGHLY desired (Since I'm trying to get the hang of the new IG codex).

A note: This heavy reliance on infantry is part of my army theme. If you plan to suggest any vehicles then...well...I'm very reluctant to use 'em (unless it's sentinels...)

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only potential problem I see is that the tau could be able to avoid the anti-tank squad very easily while tearing the infantry squads apart with impunity since they don't have anything that would worry a crisis suit. I'd also be wary of advancing into the pulse rifles of the firewarriors. If you get the cance to deep strike it might negate this problem. I guess what I'm saying is you may want to consider disbanding the anti-tank squad and putting the missiles in infantry squads. A few plasma guns in the squads that will be advancing will also be very handy for popping suits. As a last note, be careful of stealth suits.

#3 ·
IG lists seem to plummet like a REALLY big stone on the list forum but I'm sure some people will answer.

At 12" a shotgun is basically the same as a lasgun, you won't really just fire yuor shotgun for the extra 2 shots before combat will you. But since its free anyway.......Although given the choice of firing 10 lasguns 24" or 9 I wouldn't really care.
Your choice really, that paragraph was rather pointless.

A bolter on your officers seems rather pointless too. But one point. what the hay.

Problem with making an all infantry list with IG is that it is 360 minimum for just a basic no frills at all set of squads, so not much variation can be achieved.
The Missile launchers will do fine and can be adapted to frag to squish fire warriors.

The only thing I worry about with this list is that you are walking into Pulse rifles which I am sure will cut through your gaurdsmen like soft butter. After 4 turns of moving into them for assault, I'm not sure that much will be left. Cover hugging like you say is a viable option.
I can only say Armoured fist but you don't want to use that. Drop troops for one platoon sounds very good to tie up squads in combat.

Seems a very solid list to me although I had no real comments. Good luck killing some Xenos

*Edit; Spelling

#4 ·
IG Infantry Squads should always have a heavy weapon. Your Command sqauds should also have heavy weapons. The best apporach is to give your Infantry Squads the most expensive heavv weapons (lascannon/missile launcher) so they are difficult for your opponent to neutralise.

I advise you to drop some points and find the heavy weapons. The abundance of heavy weapons is a major strength (along with access to tanks and massed infantry) of the IG and needs to be explioted every chance you get if you like to win. :ph34r:

:rofl:

#5 · (Edited)
Alright.
Working from your comments I've revised the list.

Brother Marius
That is a good point. Instead of having the "heavy anchor" in the form of the ML squad I've kitted out all the squads with special weapons (3 Plasma Guns + 1 Meltagun...'ya always know you are going to need one somewhere :p )
Also. Working from this splendid new doctrines list I added a very characterful doctrine. With Light Infantry I'll move faster through any terrain that's around and I plan to use Drop Troops if possible. If not, I Infiltrate (as per Light Inf).

Archaon
Yepp. A Bolter is pretty pointless, but anything for a gun with a slightly stronger punch eh? Plus I have nothing to do with 3 points...(so Bolter x 2 + Bolt pistol). And yeah...you reaffirmed my choice of taking the Light Infantry upgrade.
About the Shotgun...I just loved the idea...I'll leave it up to the actual game to decide. But yeah...9 Lasguns could be better...*thinks*

Reavered
If this were any other IG list I might agree...But I don't want to hang back and try to outshoot the Tau player...nono...I want to go to him and bludgeon him into submission...sortof.
Essentially I don't want this to be a "oooh, look at MY artillery!"
I'll do that later perhaps.

Here is the new list...

500 Points IG list (revised)

Doctrines:
Light Infantry (Already applied to all squads)
Drop Troops
Close Order Drill

HQ

56th Ikoli company command
Led by Senior Officer Alexei Viorvol (w. Bolt Pistol and CCW)
+ 4 guardsmen (2 w. Flamers)

( 78 )

Troops

Blue Platoon
Command Section
Led by Junior Officer Piotr Aminitz (w. Bolter)
+4 guardsmen

(51)

Prokhopelov’s squad
Led by Sergeant Sergei Prokhopelov (w. Laspistol and CCW)
+9 guardsmen (1 w. Meltagun)

(80)

Desiir’s squad
Led by Sergeant Javier Desiir (w. Laspistol and CCW)
+9 guardsmen (1 w. Plasma Gun)

(80)

Green Platoon
Command Section
Led by Junior Officer Dimitri Zirinovski (w. Bolter)
+4 Guardsmen

(51)

Tereklov’s squad
Led by Sergeant Artarine Tereklov (w. Shotgun)
+9 guardsmen (1 w. Plasma Gun)

(80)

Ujanovitz’s squad
Led by Sergeant Vladimir Uljanovitz (w. Shotgun)
+9 Guardsmen (1 w. Plasma Gun)

(80)

#7 ·
Oh my your regressing, now you do not have any heavy weapons!

To me, the problem with trying to assault the Tau is that the IG are not much more effective at it. Essentially you are giving up on the major IG strengths (tanks/massed heavy wepaons) in an attempt to capitalise on a single Tau weakness.

I just do not see how it will work, im sorry. At best, only 1.5 plasma guns will hit on average per turn assuming they can all shoot and he is not going to stand his ground facing flamers. :(

The Tau player is going to shoot your Guardsmen into tiny bits and hand to hand will be your only ray of hope, something that the IG are not good at. If you want to advance on a Tau player with basically no guns play Orks!

Anyway, if i was asked about the trick to the 'new' codex i would say is that is it just like the second and third edition Codex. Guardsmen are only a means to access heavy weapons and tanks still rule the tabletop. This is because Infantry Sqauds are not good at anything but shooting their heavy weapon and dying, and maybe taking objectives. :)

I guess all i can say is good luck with it PrOtOcoN, as i have never never heard of a successful IG list that relied upon massed Guardsmen without heavy weapons or tanks, regardless of their opponent. If this is a direction you feel appeals to you i advise any kind of Doctrine that lets you get close (light infanrty, drop troops, jungle fighters) so you do not have to wade through your own casualties for as many turns. :lol:

#8 ·
Perhaps it is worth noting that the Tau players force consists of around 21 FW's and 3 battle suits?

I do not expect to face significantly more than that. (plus the guy hasn't fought IG before, he expects heavy weaponry + ranged firefights AND he's relatively new having only fought 'nids before (which troubles me seeing as they rely on massed numbers as well :hmm: )

So...

24 units vs. 55

Just a tad more than 2:1

But yes.
There is a first for everything. Realistically this should work (looking at the amount of...erm...stuff) ...but if not...aye...glorious defeat indeed.

But yes...just making this list has felt almost wrong. The utter lack of armor coupled with the lack of heavy weaponry pulls alot of teeth. But what I want to explore with this list is if indeed it is impossible to win with a all infantry list. I'm so tired of seeing one Leman Russ after another...one massed lascannon squad after another... bah... No one appreciates a steady hand and a sharp blade in the Imperial Guard anymore...

'Tis time to change it...

But if this doesn't work I'm slapping a Lascannon/Leman Russ/Autocannons around here and there...but slowly...Maybe I just have some repressed urges...something about just a mass of infantry strolling across the board...

But yeah...any improvements are still desired.
Don't give up hope just yet ^_^

Come on...are there NO infantry commanders out there? Get out of your tanks for awhile and inhale some dust!

Oh and Reavered. Note the doctrines chosen. Depending on the mission I can deep strike...or if not that perhaps Infiltrate...the gap closes...oh yes...it closes!
Plus I don't plan to capitalize simply on the fact that Tau are weak in hand-to-hand. I plan to snap of any and all Lasgun shots that I can...But moving in his direction will make him nervous...55 troops coming at you is always daunting. And if things go slightly to my advantage then he will be too busy killing random guardsmen to notice the double flamer HQ stomping towards him.

Aye...

#9 ·
SWEET! I would really like to shake your hand, but I can't so there..... :(
A Combat guard army, 1st I've seen.
Doctrines:
Drop troops,
Hardened fighters

Tau hit on 5's in Combat, and you can Deep strike near them.
Flamers and lots of them will help when you get close.
Have the platoon command squads equipped with melta gun/flamer for toasting battle suits.

Take a sentinel or two, Mars, Catachan, or Cadian, not armageddon because the Lascannon will miss a lot.

Iron Discipline

Tau fire power is nasty, this doctrine discounts the -1 for being under 1/2 strength when using officers LD.

Close Order Drill.
Because it costs nothing and can come in useful

HQ - 156
Hardened fighters included
Command squad - 88
Senior officer
Bolt pistol, chainswird, Iron Discipline
2 flamers

Deep striking

TROOPS

1st platoon - 233
Hardened fighters included
CS - 71
Junior Officer
Iron Discipline, Bolter
meltagun

squad one - 81
flamer

squad two - 81
flamer

Deep striking

platoon two - 196
no Hardened fighters.
CS - 46
junior officer
iron discipline, bolter

squad one - 68
Grenade Launcher

squad two - 68
Grenade Launcher

503 points, I think... You might no like it, And you're Stumped if their's no DSing, But I haven't tried anything like this so. It's your Descision

How much is the light infantry doctrine, Because I thought it was 15 and I've lost my codex

#10 ·
:)

Like i said, good luck. :)

Ill just re-state that infantry armies always have heavy weapons for the record. :)

If he is a 'newbie' you might just be able to scare him into shooting up the wrong squads by screaming 'charge!' at him as you move, but i do not imagine this list beating an experienced Tau player.

Hope it goes well for you :)

#11 ·
Aye thanks for the good luck wish.

admiralk
I couldn't tell since it is a breach of copyright. Please do not ask for points cost of items, upgrades, units or specific rules.

And as to the comment that all infantry armies have heavy weaponry.

Hmm...well...that might be true in most cases. But not in the case of one which has lost almost all of it's heavy weaponry (including tanks) and most of it's upper command echelon during a surprise attack by a chaos vanguard fleet [Night Lord] while they were at high orbital anchor.

Indeed...most forces don't go through that.

Stay tuned for the Fluff for the 56th Ikoli sentries.

[As a note: The prize for the battle will be a communications array. Maybe if I win I'll be able to contact more of my forces scattered over the planet and see if any armor was loaded into the emergency launches...We'll see.]

Later.

#12 ·
So your going to either deepstrike or infiltrate a unit for more CC goodness aye.

One thought I had whilst in a histpry lesson was why not use some rough riders?
True in the First World War it was disasterous but this is abit later.

Try dropping one platoon for a conscript squad.

This will free up alot of points to go into a rough rider squad. Although they are just as fragile they are very fast and can catch up with your deep striked or infiltrating troops quickly.

Like this you should even gain more numbers of troops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.