Which is the best battleforce to start an army with? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Battleforce Set?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chaos Space Marines

1 4.76%
  • Dark Eldar

4 19.05%
  • Grey Knights

0 0%
  • Necrons

10 47.62%
  • Tau

6 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Which is the best battleforce to start an army with?

Hey all,

I'm trying to slowly draw some of my friends into Warhammer, and I'm thinking of introducing the game with some combat patrol battles. I currently have enough models of eldar, blood angels, and orks to make up at least 2 combat patrol armies from each race. For a bit more variety, I want to add one more army to the mix, and I'd like to do so by buying a battleforce and at maximum one additional squad/character. I've narrowed the armies I'd like to pick from to the choices in the poll, which one do you think would yield the best results?

Thanks for your help!

Army: W/L/D -- Eldar 6/2/2; Orks 1/3/0; BA 1/1/0

The Tale of Two Gamers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I chose necrons, but I would also include DE as well. They are both good deals for their battle forces (ie: you'll use all the models in them), and play different enough from the models you own to warrant a different playstyle to test.

One reason I do recommend the necrons is that they are further away thematically from eldar than deldar (both being elves and such). The big selling point is that after the battleforce, you can buy a command barge box and get an hq and heavy model and have a completely legal (if low point) force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Klajorne View Post
    One reason I do recommend the necrons is that they are further away thematically from eldar than deldar (both being elves and such). The big selling point is that after the battleforce, you can buy a command barge box and get an hq and heavy model and have a completely legal (if low point) force.
    I agree 100% about getting away from the elvish theme with necrons, one thing I was worried about was that I've heard their army is pretty 1-dimensional. However, maybe that changed with the new codex?

A little clarification point, when you say that I can buys the command barge and get an hq and heavy model to have a complete force, do you mean that the command barge is an hq and heavy model or that I need a command barge, an HQ and a heavy model to have a complete force?

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cheart View Post
    A little clarification point, when you say that I can buys the command barge and get an hq and heavy model to have a complete force, do you mean that the command barge is an hq and heavy model or that I need a command barge, an HQ and a heavy model to have a complete force?
    The model can be used as a command barge or an annihilation barge, and is designed so that you can switch between the two different shapes as required.

It's supplied with a lord & base who can be fielded separately while you are using it as an annihilation barge.

It's not implausible that you might end up wanting to field 5 of the things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    The model can be used as a command barge or an annihilation barge, and is designed so that you can switch between the two different shapes as required.
    So wait... its designed so you can use it as both (ie command barge one game the annihilation barge the next), or do you have to build it as one or the other?

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

So wait... its designed so you can use it as both (ie command barge one game the annihilation barge the next), or do you have to build it as one or the other?
    You can switch them as you need them - the instructions actually tell you not to glue certain pieces in place.

A moot point if you want to play AV13 spam, but great for starting out.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I agree 100% about getting away from the elvish theme with necrons, one thing I was worried about was that I've heard their army is pretty 1-dimensional. However, maybe that changed with the new codex?

AT got most of the points on the barge model.

As for being 1 dimensional... oh my, not anymore. Whoever told you that has a fairly dated knowledge of them. The necrons just received a new codex recently. They now have as much versatility and list options as any other 5th ed codex. They're not crazy-powerful like GK or anything, but they definitely have some good builds. Powerlevel-wise, I'd put them about on par with dark eldar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    You can switch them as you need them - the instructions actually tell you not to glue certain pieces in place.

A moot point if you want to play AV13 spam, but great for starting out.
    Awesome, this must be a first for GW, next they'll be including magnetized weapons in tank kits =p.

That's perfect if it's good for starting out, as my master plan (insert evil laugh here) is to have a bunch of small armies to battle with my friends and then have my friends buy their favorite army off me and take it wherever they want to.

The 1-D comment yes was based on the older edition, as I've actually been away from the game for about a year now.

Any comments on the other armies' battleforces listed in the poll?

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Well, Grey Knights don't have a battleforce, so no need to worry there. The Chaos Space Marines Battleforce would be really good if it didn't have possessed, which are awful. The Tau Battleforce doesn't seem too bad, though I think people are in the air about Stealth Suits.

The best one, however, is Necrons without a doubt. There isn't a single model you probably won't use and Dark Eldar are close behind.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What no love for Imperial Guard? That would be my vote but if you don't want to go with that then I too would say to go with Necrons. Battleforce is great place to start and easy to expand upon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast