Death Watch - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Death Watch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x1)

Death Watch

Right I am aware there seems to be quite alot of this going around at the minute, but I've started a space marine Death Watch army.
    First of incase people throw out the usual "DeathWatch oporate in single Killteams so you cant have a full army" I am aware of this however I think it
    entirely possible that in rare and highly specific circumstances that several kill teams will come together to deal with a large xenos threat.

Now my reasoning to doing this is simple, I love conversions and painting, so I want to paint as many different space marine chapters as possible,
    So death watch allows me to do this (even if it is only the left arm of the chapters) while doing some cool conversions, and secondly I have started using codex space marines but I do plan to later on use the Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templar and Dark Angels, I would be able to use the same basic troops through out and just add in the army specific troops such as sangunary guard where needed.

Below is a link to my flickr where I have uploaded my first few models so far, none are completely finished but I only really have a few details left to do and the bases.
    Let me know what you think.

Flickr: Bdoydie's Photostream

SWAY likes this.
    If He is For me, Who shall stand against me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an awesome Kantor conversion mate (have some rep for that), as for deathwatch there are actual rules sets on the net for them, I know you can use them in games in tournaments, etc but they do give a good feel for an entire army.

Have you read the Index astartes? they have a really good article in it about deathwatch and grey knights (because apparently to the author they are kinda the same?) which will give you other ideas of how to compose the army. Basically addin Sanguinary guard and the like I don't see how that fits in it, you basically have a few things in a deathwatch army:
    Tactical marines, Assault marines, Chaplains, Librarians, and Apothecaries (Sources: Deathwatch RPG, Index astartes) as they basically cast aside their chapter differences for the good of ridding the world of Xeno threats so maybe taking from one codex and just painting and converting would be a better way to go, plus it takes out the flaws of using multiple codices and the burden of having to go through 3-4 books just to put a list together, I find Dark Angels would be good for this, their not as restricting as some other chapters and you have additional options that would flesh out a better deathwatch army

Just my opinions but others might have somethign to say that i've overlooked or something they wish to add

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x1)

Thanks for the rep btw,
    I think i should make myself clearer, I have a 2000pt list using codex space marines, I am later planning on writing a seperate 2K list using ONLY codex blood angels or ONLY codex space wolves etc, and I would just to save time/money/effort, if I had a deathwatch killteam in my codex space marines list and in my codex bllod angels list i would just use the same models to save me buying 2 squads and building/ painting them.

Yeh I had seen some of the deathwatch stuff online, mainly the deathwatch rpg stuff, thats what gave me the inspiration to do this,

And when it comes down to using andgunary guard or other chapter specific squads mainly its because I think I could do some cool conversions playing on the fact that deathwatch try to integrate alien technology into imperial designs, (eg c'tan phase sword for callidus assassins) ATM I am planning a predator annihilator conversion where I would swap all the lascannons for railguns from tau broadsides and hammerheads and just use the standard lascannon rule for game purposes.

No I havent read index astartes but I will when I get home tonight. I do know from reading some other fluff where any confusion over grey knight and death watch comes from, Grey Knight (ordo malleus) are a branch of the inquisition designed to combat deamons/deamon taint/corruption/etc where as deathwath (ordo xenos) are a branch of the inquistion designed to combat aliens/etc so they are both part of the inquistion although designed to do different things and grey knights dont recruit from other chapters they have their own gene seed whereas death watch recruit. although I like the idea of grey knights being drafted into the deathwatch as librarians due to their physchic abilities and i am using grey knight terminators as my deathwatch terminators as I love the models.

Sorry this post is kind of all over the place

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x1)

Just a quick update,
    As part of my army I have a 10 man assualt terminator squad with thunder hammer and storm shields.
    The Idea is they will be made up of 5 Black Templars and 5 Imperial/Crimson Fists (I havent decided which yet)

So to make them I am using grey knight terminators
    Then for the chapter shoulder pad I am using forge world terminator shoulder pads.
    For the black templars I am using Forgeworld BT Storm shields
    And for the remaining terminators storm shields I am using shields from scibor miniatures (shown below)

sf_shields_01.jpg

The plan is I can use the termies in one of two main ways
    1: a full 10 man squad with cantor so on the charge they get up 44 attacks, i think this is best used against elite armies / mech armies
    (terminators get 2 attacks basic, +1 for charging, +1 from cantors inspiring presence)
    or
    2: split into combat squads in order to make more versatile.
    I plan to use this against armies that have a large number of squads or shooty armies as i can tie two units in close combat this way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a cool idea particularly the deathwatch company (I'm not so keen on the deathwatch with other codices, but meh). Also your conversions up on the flickr are awesome.

An idea for the termies, you could include both crimson fist and imperial fists. Since they're related chapters i don't see why members wouldn't form a cohesive force. Maybe 3 imperial fists and 2 crimson, or 4 imp and 1 crimson, since the crimson fists are a understrength chapter that is rebuilding.

can't wait to see how they look and what other awesome conversions you come up with.

-SL
    New Crons 1000 points painted 6/2/10
    Empire WIP unpainted (Averheim black and yellow!)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x1)

Black templars are a successor chapter of the imperial fists too,
    so my entire army will be made up of Imperial fist and successor chapter deathwatch,

So my army consists of cantor leading
    2 units of sternguard all are crimson fists
    10 terminators - 5 imperial fists and 5 black templar
    2 units of scouts
    2 dreadnoughts - which arent having a chapter just making them deathwatch in general
    1 predator - same as dreadnoughts
    Master of the forge

and using the codexes was basically just so I could have 3 seperate army lists but using as few models as possible, a bit of a stretch I know but if it works would save me alot of cash.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x1)

Right a quick update, last night I did somemore work on my Deathwatch army, changed the colour of Kantors helmet and I think it works alot better,
    I have now almost finished my first Deathwatch Black Templar Terminator,
    Still need to do the bases on all my models, I always struggle with bases trying to get colours and ideas,
    So please if you have any ideas for bases or any ideas for how I could improve my models let me know.
    Heres the link to my Flickr photostream

Flickr: Bdoydie's Photostream

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x1)

Right I have made a WIP thread for this project and I have done a bit more which is in the new thread so if you are interested head on over there and take a look

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1919387 (WIP Deathwatch)

BSM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could run an ultramarines army with a large counts as sterngaurd death watch unit, could be themed in the 4th company from 'chapters due'
    "If I kill you, my soul is bound for hell. It is a price I shall gladly pay."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by BSM View Post
    You could run an ultramarines army with a large counts as sterngaurd death watch unit, could be themed in the 4th company from 'chapters due'
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Ive already started my Deathwatch Company, I like your idea though its just a little late, but I would appreciate it if you take a look at what I've done,
    its all up on my other thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast