1,500 Imperial Guard Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was trying to remember what made the army I played with in a tournament that I borrowed from someone to compete in ( I had a few models but not nearly enough for 1,000 points). So I took the basics from that list (scratched on the back of some advertisement in my army box) and made this one. It has some differences and it's been suped-up because it's a 1,500 point list.

Doctrines: Close Order Drill, Drop Troops, Special Weapon Squads, Ratlings, Conscripts (All are point-free so they are attached everywhere appropriate)

HQ 1: Command Squad
    HSO w/ laspistol + CCW
    1 Veteran Standard Bearer
    Mortar Squad + 1 other Lasgun
    Total: 97 Points

Anti-Tank Squad 1: 3 Lascannons, 3 lasgunners
    Total: 110 Points

Anti-Tank Squad 2: 3 Lascannons, 3 lasgunners
    Total: 110 Points

Fire Support Squad 1: 3 Autocannons, 3 lasgunners
    Total: 95 Points

Fire Support Squad 2: 3 Heavy Bolters, 3 Lasgunners
    Total: 80 Points

Special Weapons Team: Demolition Charge, 2 Meltaguns, 3 Lasguns
    Total: 75 Points

Troop 1: Infantry Platoon
    Command Squad: JO w/ Plasma Pistol, 2 Meltaguns
    Squad 1: Missle Launcher, Plasma Gun, 8 Lasguns
    Squad 2: Heavy bolter, Plasma Gun, 8 Lasguns
    Total: 235 Points

Troop 2: 20 Conscripts w/ Lasguns
    Attached: HQ 2: Ibram Gaunt
    Total: 155 Points

Elites 1: 10 Ratlings @ 110 Points

Elites 2: Grey Knight Terminators Squad
    Holocaust Psychic Power
    4 Nemesis Force Weapons + Storm Bolter, 1 NFW + Incenerator
    Total: 280 Points

Heavy Support 1: Leman Russ w/ HHB + SpHB
    Total: 158 Points

GRAND TOTAL: 1500 Points

This list is meant to be an all-around marine killer but I've also made arrangements to take care of swarms of guard or tyranids (heavy bolters) or vehicle-heavy armies (lascannons) or monstrous creatures (ratlings). My two CC units are the conscripts who will hopefully provide a buffer between my units that shoot and the enemy. Gaunt keeps the conscripts from ever running away and provides enough CC muscle to whittle down units on his own. The GK terminators are more of a mop-up squad. Depending on whether or not I'm going to get swarmed (they will be deployed normally) or whether the army is shooty (they will deep strike).

I know the anti-tank squads are my most vulnerable point, but with two of them I don't think even the most unlucky circumstances will prevent at least 3 lascannon shots for a few turns. You can bet they'll be in cover! The Fire Support squads are meant to be aimed at any infantry that is on the field, or the autocannons can even fire at transports to get rid of them. The Special Weapons squad deep-strikes and wipes out a unit before it is consumed by an angry opponent, as does the JO in the command squad of the infantry platoon. They are meant to be a vehicle killer, with 2 shots that at least glance 13 armor, and 2 weapons that will likely penetrate anything within 6" of their landing area.

My infantry platoon is meant to shoot, then shoot, then when they're tired of shooting, shoot some more. I went with hull heavy bolter on the leman russ because I'd rather have 3 shots that hit half the time rather than 1 when if I'm going for power I'm just going to use the battlecannon anyway. If I lose the battle cannon it's suddenly a troop killer as well, or if I move it and don't want my ordinance shot going way the heck away I can use it as that too

Last but not least my Command platoon is meant to stay within a foot of the infantry squads and heavy weapon squads, stay out of LOS and fire that mortar to see if I can't play the numbers game and make someone take more saves than they can make ^_^

Let me know what you think!

Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by greymeister@Dec 3 2004, 06:20
    SELECTIVE QUOTE
    Elites 2: Grey Knight Terminators Squad
    Holocaust Psychic Power
    4 Nemesis Force Weapons + Storm Bolter, 1 NFW + Incenerator
    Total: 280 Points
    [snapback]264016[/snapback]
    hi there greymeister,

it's a nice list u have there but i have one question
    r grey knight terminators allowed in a IG army??
    i'm playing IG aswell and it doesnt say that in my codex
    or am i missing something here?

because when they r allowed, i'm gonna buy them TODAY
    thnx in advance

Cypher

PS could u pls tell me where i can find it in the codex or were ever so i can show it to my opponent aswell, or else they wont believe me i guess
    thnx allot

EDIT: i might have the old codex, but in my IG codex an anti-tank squad with 3 lascannons is 125 points, not 110 points, as u stated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the Daemonhunters codex, that lets you bring along the grey knights. The reason I did was because I was complaining to some people who are more experienced in 40k than I am about how much the Ogryn models freaking cost and how they weren't even that great (I mean they don't get saves against bolters even). One guy said "Well just get Grey Knight Terminators" and after reading about them, to me they're like 100% better than Ogryns ever could be.

About the anti-tank squad, it's 110 points (35+75) according to my codex.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by greymeister@Dec 3 2004, 15:10
    Get the Daemonhunters codex, that lets you bring along the grey knights. The reason I did was because I was complaining to some people who are more experienced in 40k than I am about how much the Ogryn models freaking cost and how they weren't even that great (I mean they don't get saves against bolters even). One guy said "Well just get Grey Knight Terminators" and after reading about them, to me they're like 100% better than Ogryns ever could be.

[snapback]264251[/snapback]
    i see thnx allot

but in my codex the anti-tank squads cost 35+30+30+30=125 points :hmm:
    when did u buy ur codex, i might have the old one

Cypher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In september. Lascannons do not cost 30 points (unless you're a last chancer of course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only one tank?
    IG since '95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Reavered@Dec 4 2004, 05:51
    Only one tank?
    [snapback]265036[/snapback]
    'Tis a shame is it not I really dont know what I'd drop to add another tank. Originally I had 2 but depending on how things go tonight when I use this list I may add more tanks.

However, just as a side note, in my previous games I've lost ALOT of tanks by one lucky dreadnought side shot or some stupid twin-linked lascannon rolling 6's on penetration rolls. 160+ points seems alot to be tied up to a tank and they are the most visible targets. I like what they can do but it seems like against the armies I'm playing I needed more than one shot out of my heavy support (hence the AT squads). I haven't played against too many armies where I can pie plate them to death, as the only mass armies I've played like Eldar and Tyranids the damage doesn't come from the masses (heavy bolters take care of them) but the stupid huge 8 toughness *****s. That's why I have opted to take the Ratlings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by greymeister@Dec 3 2004, 07:10

[snapback]264251[/snapback]
    We still have to pay a crapload for any CC ability whatsoever.

I would prefer a Basilisk over the Leman Russ in a game with one tank, but that's just me. Its nice to see a list with Special Characters.
    Armies:

40k: Dark Eldar, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Space Marines
    Fantasy: Lizardmen, Skaven, Vampire Counts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note, after tonight's game where I pretty much decimated a space marine army by turn 5 the conscript + Gaunt (or conscripts + Yarrick in 2000 points) works great but especially with Gaunt keep him in the back when you're getting into assault range. Let your opponent take all their attacks on the first wave and then after you don't get wiped out have Gaunt press up into Base to base and get his attacks. Try to minimize the # of models he's touching and leave it to where the player can still choose to attack the conscripts (which they are likely to do). Gaunt is much harder to hit and he wounds space marines on 4's with his power weapon. I wiped out 2 5 man tactical squads, both with power fists, and only took one wound on Gaunt and had 5 conscripts left. The enemy gets tied up for so long with those guys that they don't kill anything else and you're infantry platoons get to shoot at everyone else while that squad is tied up for so long.

Just a few hints after tonight's battle. Also, at least in my list, the ratlings don't usually get shot at until the lascannons do which is actually better. Those lascannons are only useful for huge units or vehicles, so they should take those out really quick or else you've messed up, leaving the ratlings to force your opponent to take on average 4-5 saves a turn which even marines fail 1/3 of the time. Also about the basilisk, I've gotten to where I deploy my Russ behind cover like you would a basilisk. I find my tanks are 100x more useful later in the game rather than sticking them out in the beginning. My opponents are like "you know you can't shoot that tank" and I said "no, I know you can't shoot that tank". Save em for the final push when you're cleaning up (Y)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't say i am a fan of grey knights, i would take'm out
    "That is the sound of inevitability"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast