Necron Beginner (1000) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you be shocked to hear I actually have valid reasons for starting with Necrons?
    Nah who would believe me anyway ;)
    Below we have the collection of models I have amassed so for, we ran a small 500pt tournament a while back and I figured I'd try 40k out with some necrons. I got hammered, with one lord and two compulsory units of warriors coming in at 460 my options remained extremely limited. Since I had the core i started adding bits on, the second wraith seemed obvious as two wraiths are better than one (and I was able to squeeze one 41pt wraith for a 501pt army and so had one already).

HQ
    100 Necron Lord
    40 Resurrection Orb
    60 Veil of Darkness

Troops
    216 Warriors (12)
    216 Warriors (12)

Fast Attack
    82 Wraiths (2)
    150 Destroyers (3)
    72 Scarab Swarms (6)

Heavy Support
    65 Heavy Destroyers (1)

Now remember I only have a handful of 40k games behind me so go easy on me. Those are the physical models I have I figure the basic strategy will be to use a first wave of warriors with the lord followed by a second wave of warriors behind that way if we get into close combat the lord can get the first wave behind my opponent and open fire while the second wave is now freed up to fire upon the unit from the other side (now the first wave no longer blocks its view). Wraiths and destroyers seem really fleixble for taking out stuff while the scarabs will be used as harassing units. The heavy destoryer seems like a good option since its a heavy support choice and as such can be set up as my first option. Since it also moves fast and can fire after shooting it can be set up as far forward as possible and then move back while firing...

That at least is the theory, as we all know though every plan rarely survives contact with the enemy.

After that... the real question, what to purchase next (black undercoat and silver drybrush at the ready...). The 500pts after have the basic outline of immortals for the veil, a second heavy destroyer, destroyer lord with orb to give the destroyers a bit more protection (is it needed really? not sure if keeping my lord out of action is a good call, he may be better assisting the wraiths with a scythe).

Thoughts overall?

Bazleebub

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bulk up your warriors if the remaining number falls below a critical point then your army just phases out (dissapears)
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually in a thousand points 24 warriors should be fine, I played with only 20 actually and only phased out once during last years campaign type thingy.
    Two things though, you should probbly only take wraiths in groups of 3, two won't last long, and your heavy destroyer will not get wbb as he is the only one you got. Maybe you should drop the heavy in intrest of another wraith and a few more warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup.....Slayer's right. Drop the heavy destroyer and add on another Wraith........ maybe a few more warriors or scarab swarms.....Oh and another thing... Don't listen to anyone that says scarab swarms suck!! They can move 18" a turn, only cost 12 points each, and are crucial in tying up your opponents more important units in close combat...... Hope this helps!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with every one else but drop the veil of darkness it sucks <
    &lt;img src=&quot;http://bunnysnoog.cyborgcow.net/henry4.gif&quot;
    align=left&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://bunnysnoog.cyborgcow.net/index.html&quot;&gt;
    I adopted a cute lil&#39; pilgrim fetus
    from Fetusmart&#33; Hooray fetus&#33; &lt;/a&gt;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, only use veil of darkness w/ pariahs.... maybe add a few more warriors from the points that the veil used.

Mad Props to Angel_of_Rust for the sig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scarabs don&#39;t suck, I&#39;ve seen them masacre genestealers for christs sake. I would personally take more warriors, and another wraith instead of a heavy destroyer.
    I live in your eyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Xaero@Sep 14 2003, 046
    ya, only use veil of darkness w/ pariahs....
    Not happening, the veil quite explicitly states you can only move units of necrons (specifically Immortals, Flayed Ones, Warriors, Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers or Wraiths). Also as you may not assault after moving with the veil that rules assault troops out and the additional movement is not much use to any units which move like jetbikes already so that limits the usability of the veil to Warriors and Immortals. Some Immortals obviously will be the next upgrade for just this reason.

On that matter why no love for the Veil Higgo? I&#39;ll admit I&#39;ve yet to see it in action yet but on paper it seems amazing if only to withdraw a unit from hth combat and then allow it to shoot.

Slayers got a point with the destroyer and wraiths, with one destroyer its only at 100% effectiveness rather than the 150% WBB effectiveness we&#39;re used to. On the defense wraiths really are only marines, two loses and they don&#39;t get back up... I see where this goes, actually it&#39;s something to keep in mind for actual battle too, never let my opponent clear a unit make sure at all times my casualties can make there WBB rolls. Question on WBB with that in mind, given 3 warriors two of which are dead

Working Warrior <- 4" -> Downed Warrior A <- 4" -> Downed Warrior B

can I make Downed warrior As WBB roll first and then use him to give warrior B a WBB roll? or is it all calculated at once?

How worthwhile are the disruptors with the scarab swarms? I don&#39;t really see much point in taking them with any of the other units save perhaps the flayed ones but wonder how effective they are with the swarm in close combat.
    On another close combat wound related topic, has anyone had any success with a close combat kitted out destroyer lord attached to a swarm of scarabs? Seems like a killing machine.

thanks for all the comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think with your warrior question only get gets to make its well be back save as when the first stand back up it is immediatly moved to the unit that helped it get back up.

but if you move it o that unit but put it 2" behind(still in coherenecy) then the last downed warrior should only be 6" away from the unit so it should be able o stand back up

hope this helps.
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I&#39;m just starting necrons, and i was wonderin, why are Immortals so much better then Warriors, i thought i could replace the 10 immortals with like 12 (or howeverm many i can) warriors, but ive heard i shuld include the immortals.....y?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast