Starting A New Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok... when I first went to the gw store and asked for help to pick my army, the litterally threw space marines at me. i thought they were cool, and got myself a tactic squad and a commander to begin with. later,i realized that every damn moron out there is playing them damn SMurfs, and i really wanna be more original than playing tha same army that 60% of the entire gaming pepole. so im asking you guys, plz help me find an army that:

1: Is not played by almost every one
    2: is kind of easy to paint
    3: Has reasonably tough soldiers, I donĀ“t like the IG cannonfodder concept
    4: have cool vehicles. i love cool vehicles, especially tanks. and:
    5: is good at killing space marines. the most common adversary in the known universe.

I know it will be hard to get it all, but what is the army that fits my 5 requests best?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe tau perhaps, they are a bit like IG but more mobile and has awesome vehicles and they kick marine butt
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviszko
    Guardsman 173rd, those are incredible - you've impressed me and my friend who I linked it to. Nice work!!
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxjyl1j1r4s
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxveyxdfp4
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihz6s11k5ao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're silver and hard as nails.... they're the.. the... Necrons (imagin evil laughing from all their commander... would be gods).

I dont think they satisfy your point 5.

Actually they're probably weaker than "ard as nails". but they're easy to paint.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Well...the ONLY army that's "played by almost everyone" is Space Marines, so you're good to go there.

As for tougher troops than IG - pick any army, and they have tougher troops. No, really, I'm serious.

Any army can be equipped to melt Space Marines - plasma weapons, lance weapons, and other heavy weapons. Mostly all of the armies have some way of melting SMurfs.

As for easy to paint, that's a harder question. I'd say Tau are reasonably easy to paint just because their armour doesn't very that much. Necrons are the easiest to paint (ever) because they're just these walking metal skeletons. You could spray paint them and say they're painted.

Vehicles wise, I'd say the three types of armies that have the coolest vehicles are: Tau, Dark Eldar, and Eldar. They look good. They play good. Even if they're fragile, they pack a punch.

How tough do you want your troops? Tau have 4+ saves and strong weapons, but they can't handle CC. Eldar and Dark Eldar have better stats than Tau, but not the best weapons and the same save as IG (however they are meant to last longer, and usually they do). Necrons have the same save as a Space Marine, the same stats as a Space Marine (just about) and if they die they have a 50% chance of getting back up.

It really depends on your play style. If you want an army with CC, go for one of the Eldar armies. Check out a friend's codex if possible or ask your shop to borrow one. If you want more shooty, I'd say try Tau. Necrons can be equipped either way, so you could always look into them. Any army can be outfitted how you want them, so again it just depends on your style of play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

The two armies that fit the bill for you are SM and CSM.

Why not re-configure your army to fit some fluff that you really like and go-for it. Do you really want to fork out the cash for another army?

Space marines have the most vehicles to choose from, Landraider, Dreads, Bikes, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, etc. Chaos have defilers as well.

Perhaps Demonhunters or Witchhunters?

Eldar are cool, but not tough enough for you.

Necrons don't have enough vehicles.

Tau aren't Touch enough.

Nids - No Vehicles.

DE, not tough enough.

If I was to pick another army it would be WH, DH or Mech Tau.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont like necrons. Why? They are boring, and boring to play against! They might be good, but you may not like your army that much. My friend was necrons, and for a week he liked them. Then realized he was painting to much of the same thing. He ended up switching to Eldar. Cause they are cool.

Anyways, Lost Nemesis is right, it all depends on your style.

dont go with the Imperium armies. I hate them. A lot.(its your choice^_^)
    Selling Dwarf Battalion - Empire + Chaos Army Book - SM Codex - 40k stuff

Whee!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by Diggums Hammer@Jan 29 2005, 11:58
    The two armies that fit the bill for you are SM and CSM.

Why not re-configure your army to fit some fluff that you really like and go-for it. Do you really want to fork out the cash for another army?

Space marines have the most vehicles to choose from, Landraider, Dreads, Bikes, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, etc. Chaos have defilers as well.

Perhaps Demonhunters or Witchhunters?

Eldar are cool, but not tough enough for you.

Necrons don't have enough vehicles.

Tau aren't Touch enough.

Nids - No Vehicles.

DE, not tough enough.

If I was to pick another army it would be WH, DH or Mech Tau.
    [snapback]315618[/snapback]
    I think our definition of "tough" might differ, my friend.

You see, when I think of a tough army I think of an army that can survive and dish out damage.

I get the feeling you think of Necrons, SM, and CSM. Because they have the armour and the T characteristic.

I think of tough as being everything that the unit can do. DE for example are fast. Maybe they can't take as many hits, but usually they aren't in the position to take that many hits.

Speed, fire power, HTH ability - all of these contribute to how "tough" an army is, in my opinion. Not just armour and T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From some of the parameters you have desrcribed, it sounds marines are a good army for you, why not collect a themed army of them? or a normal army just a tad more original than others, not only game wise, but look and appearances too.

-Gibb.
    Legendary Dark Eldar Site

"To play the blues, all you need is barbwire strung to a wooden pulp, an aching heart, and a babe who done left you"

Win/Loss- Who Cares?

"The only thing thats good to lose is your virginity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cc is very important to me. My friends all play cc armies, and to make the battles go faster they have made a very small gaming table.

By "tough" soldiers i mean guys that are never helpless in any field (shooting, cc ect.). guys that last long if played right, and guys that can work in costum teams. row after row of necrons, armed with the same weapons are generally just the same, are not funny to play (as or against). I LOVE to make diverse squads, with special weapons.

what do u mean by themed army, gibb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by Ultramarine@Jan 29 2005, 19:59
    cc is very important to me. My friends all play cc armies, and to make the battles go faster they have made a very small gaming table.

By "tough" soldiers i mean guys that are never helpless in any field (shooting, cc ect.). guys that last long if played right, and guys that can work in costum teams. row after row of necrons, armed with the same weapons are generally just the same, are not funny to play (as or against). I LOVE to make diverse squads, with special weapons.

what do u mean by themed army, gibb?
    [snapback]315915[/snapback]
    Gibb means something along the lines of a different type of chapter, stuff like that...not just plain old Marines.

However, I agree with you. And I'd say Orks sounds mighty good for you, also...

They have a lot of different units and some pretty good weapons. Even their BS of 2 is made up for by the amount of guns they can field. And they're very, very CC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast