It's That Time Again, Folks... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Heylo, folk of LibrOn.

As is normal, about this time of year, I go into my local GW, looking at what they have and chat usually effortlessly with the staff about 40k on any army, since 1) I've usually got the codex for the races, and 2) If I havent got it, then I have at least read it many times over.

However.

It is during one of these talks that I get a pang of regret of not having an army of my own, usually being content to play with my friends' armies, and have a look around at the stuff I like for an army,with a view to getting one.This year's nominations for a new army are...

1) Chaos Space Marines

Love the fluff, and their combat abilities, they look funky AND they're easy to paint. Also offers a wealth of tactics and conversion oppurtunities.

2) Eldar

The coolest looking folk in the game, IMO. Great bog-standard weapon, but *****-poor range. Typically a hard-hitting army, but must be used in a quick lightning strike fashion, and is not suited to attrition (which is admittedly how I like to win battles).

3) Imperial Guard

Tanks. Meatshield..*cough* loads of men. But armed with crap basic weapon.But loads of them, which means that if I just keep battering away at my enemy, eventually they'll fall. However, I'd like to do so before my opponent turns to coal.

Now, I'd like your opinions on this, I'm fairly open to ideas concerning these armies, but the main limiting factor is cash, or rather, the lack of it. Discuss the merits of your chosen army here!

"It fits like clothes made out of wasps!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Do you have any personal preference to tactics? Personally I'll of course say Chaos, in terms of fluff it's very easy to give your army and characters a story, and Chaos already has a lot of background as a basis. They're extremely versatile in game terms too, even if you pick a Legion other thant BL, for instance I do a load of completely different things with my Iron Warriors.
    Another useful thing: your Champions usually survive the battle, so you don't have to keep writing stories like "Podaga once again got his ass handed to him on a plate, and only just escaped death thanks to the bets Chirumeks the Legion had to offer.".
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah gotta go wiv da Orks, mean, green, close combat machine...WAAAGH&#33;
    &quot;Da Orks is da best cuz we ar ded ard an killy, mean, green, krumpin machines, hav da most dakka, da stompiest dreads, da shootiest gunz, da biggest bosses, an we uze choppas...WAAAGH&#33;&quot;
    Warlord Hakbash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Personally I prefer the tactics of either attrition or firepower. Technically they both are the same, but by attrition I mean hand to hand stuff as well as firepower.

But I am open to any and all schools of thought in this area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

BiD, any comments on your Iron Warriors or other legions?

I&#39;m leaning toward Chaos for the new(er) miniatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want attrition and firepower, go for guard.
    Apathy is the greatest enemy of all.

=0_o=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Here&#39;s something taken from another post of mine:
    My tactics really differ in each battle, but typically I deploy in a solid firebase with troops at the front and heavy support behind that, on one side are Obliterators and Terminators (I might change that, Oblits are now more vulnerable to lascannons ), on the other I have a mounted squad and a Raptor squad if I use it, that way my opponent has to make a choice between the slow and powerful flank, the fast flank, and the center where most of the firepower comes from, typically this results in the opponent doing no significant damage or going for the fast flank, and by that time the slow element (termies and Obliterators) are very close to his lines whilst the firebase keeps pouring a hail of heavy weapons fire into his most powerful targets.

This is what I usually do, but you can do a lot with Iron Warriors. You can go for shooty all over, with only one or two faster units (for instance a Raptor squad and a mounted tac squad), but you can also mount all your troops in rhinos so they have a more assault-oriented role, and conenctrate the firepower elsewhere (heavy support, Chosen in their &#39;Havoc&#39; role).
    Alternatively you can use a lot of troops with a lascannon in each squad to bust heavy armour, with the rest of the army more mobile and close combat oriented, for instance taking several Dreadnoughts as heavy support, some Possessed as elites (though I don&#39;t like Possessed in IW armies to be honest), and maybe some more fast attack than you&#39;d normally take (ie 2 slots).
    As I said I usually go for mainly shooty, with some mobile units like one or two mounted squads, and terminators and Obliterators as elites, and believe it or not, I have fought and won battles of attrition against IG, all you have to do is spread your men out so ordnance only kills a few models, and make good use of cover. Usually they cna&#39;t bring all their firepower to bear on your army, so you can eliminate one line, move forward a little, and continue with the next (this takes a little practice and some luck though).
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like lots of variety and conversion oppertunities go for chaos. :a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)