My 1st Tyranid army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1st Tyranid army

Ok I've decided to take a break from WHFB for a while and focus on Mordheim and WH40k. The problem is, where I play, the majority play WHFB, so it's not too easy to get advice from anyone at the shop. There's a different GW tournament every weekend, and next weekend is WH40k. I'm interested in dipping in on it w/ a Tyranid army, but for some reason that is the least liked army. The group consensus is that they suck. I took that as motivation to play them. I really want to play the psychological game w/ the Tyranids, but I was told that I really need to learn the units 1st. So, there went my idea of just playing a really annoying army that would just aggrivate my opponents. I'm now just looking to build a well rounded army to play against all army types. This is what I've come up with although I'm not sure that it is very good, so any assistance you all could offer would be greatly appreciated. We're limited to 100opt armies and I was told that Old One Eye would probably get taken out before he saw action, Lichtors cast too much for 1k armies, genestealers are too slow for anything under 1.5k, gargoyles too unreliable, and most everything else I suggested was shot down. Enough babble. Here it is:

Mutable Hive Tyrant(HQ) - 185pts
    adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    implant attack
    scything talons(2)
    synapse creature
    the horror
    toxin sacs
    warp blast
    wings

(3)Mutable Warriors(Elite) - 81pts
    adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    lash whip
    rending claws(3)
    scything talons(3)
    flesh hooks
    synapse creature

(3)Mutable Warriors(Elite) - 111pts
    adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    flesh hooks
    lash whip
    leaping
    rending claws(3)
    scything talons(3)
    synapse creature

(32)Mutable Gaunts(Troops) - 170pts
    hive nodes
    spinefists

hive nodes
    spinefists

(32)Mutable Gaunts(Troops) - 170
    hive nodes
    spinefists

(2)Biovores(Heavy Support) - 108pts
    Bio-Acid Spore Mines

TOTAL 995pts

Also does anyone know what issue of WD 40k in 40 minutes was in or where I could find a copy of the rules? Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would use normal hormagaunts instead of spinefists. But keep the hive nodes. You should always have a carnifex, they are vital. Take them instead of the biovores

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Obviously your opponents told you a lot of bullshit about certain units. Yes, OOE is scary and every gun will be pointed at it so it probably won't reach close combat. But they need really a lot of firepower against it, and in order to kill OOE before it reaches close combat they have to ignore the rest of your army, which will reach them unharmed then.

Gagoyled are better than hormagaunts, in every way. They're faster, they have ranged weapons (just for fun, hormies don't have these at all), they don't require a hive node, one bioplasma and one normal attack is better than two normal attacks. They cost exactly as much as a hormagaunt, only their WS is 3 compared to a hormie's 4.
    The only real problem about gargs is the model, it's quite expensive moneywise and eventually too big to fit as many of them into base contact as you could do with hormies. But because they are only available in blisters you won't have that many of these anyway, so this problem isn't that bad (and other gaunts can run beneath them!).
    They're right about lictors and stealers.

Concerning your list:

Mutable Hive Tyrant(HQ) - 185pts
    adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    implant attack
    scything talons(2)
    synapse creature
    the horror
    toxin sacs
    warp blast
    wings
    This big critter is fine.

(3)Mutable Warriors(Elite) - 81pts
    adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    lash whip
    rending claws(3)
    scything talons(3)
    flesh hooks
    synapse creature

adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    flesh hooks
    lash whip
    leaping
    rending claws(3)
    scything talons(3)
    synapse creature
    Your warriors aren't legal, you can have only two bio weapons, currently you have three (lash whips, scythes, rending claws). I'd drop the lash whips (they can be fun though, and they're quite useful against power fist sarges). Definitely keep the rending claws

hive nodes
    spinefists

hive nodes
    spinefists

(32)Mutable Gaunts(Troops) - 170
    hive nodes
    spinefists
    Spinegaunts aren't the best species: A 6pts scythegaunt (scything talons as bio weapon) is more effective. Probably you may field spinegaunts as proxies, because they have two pistol like weapons modelled which also could be close combat weapons.

(2)Biovores(Heavy Support) - 108pts
    Bio-Acid Spore Mines
    Bio Acid is too unreliable and too weak, change them to poison mines. These are the most reliable and versatile type of spore, and with the better to hit chance (less random) and better to wound chance, they're equal effective against marines.

As spasmarod mentioned, consider a carnifex, armed with venom cannon.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the assistance guys:

I would use normal hormagaunts instead of spinefists. But keep the hive nodes.
    To have a full unit of 32 hormogaunts w/ hive nodes would cost me 330 points. Is it worth it for my to reduce the size of each group, or should I go w/ the mutable gaunts giving them scything talons and rending claws, or would it be even more beneficial to split the 3 groups of 32 again give half scything talons and the other half rending claws; giving me 6 groups of 16 mutable gaunts (it's 80pts for each type of 16).

Your warriors aren't legal, you can have only two bio weapons, currently you have three (lash whips, scythes, rending claws). I'd drop the lash whips (they can be fun though, and they're quite useful against power fist sarges). Definitely keep the rending claws
    That was a typo from when I was copying my army from armybuilder to post it here. It should read:

adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    flesh hooks
    lash whip
    leaping
    rending claws(3)
    scything talons(3)
    synapse creature

adrenal glands(in)
    extended carapace
    flesh hooks
    lash whip
    leaping
    rending claws(3)
    scything talons(3)
    synapse creature

Lastly and I'll try to leave you guys alone after this:
    Should drop the Biovores all together and go for the Carnifex, (mutable/standard heavy, vc and scything talons or vc and rending claws). 1000pt cap won't allow me to field both. And my peers are saying that Biovores are all but useless if 3 aren't fielded.

You really think this will serve as an all purpose army?

Thanks,
    PieceMaker

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Your warriors still aren't legal - they cannot have lash whips, scythes and rending claws, you have to drop one of these items.

Biovores are great, a carnifex is nice too. This big critter should be armed with a venom cannon and scything talons, rending claws are useless for a carnifex.
    It's really up to you what you choose (perhaps both?). Eventually you will need more long range anti tank punch, in this case the fex would be the better choice.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree in 1000 pt. game the Biovores aren't a great addition. You can spend the points towards a Carinfex with a venom cannon, which will draw fire and also can do some damage.

To have a full unit of 32 hormogaunts w/ hive nodes would cost me 330 points. Is it worth it for my to reduce the size of each group, or should I go w/ the mutable gaunts giving them scything talons and rending claws, or would it be even more beneficial to split the 3 groups of 32 again give half scything talons and the other half rending claws; giving me 6 groups of 16 mutable gaunts (it's 80pts for each type of 16).
    You can't just give gaunts rending claws, you have to mutate them and then you can only give a rending claw to every 4th model in the group minus 1 for the hive node (If you are playing with 4 species like your list). Plus I think its a waste to give them rending claws.

As far as spliting the gaunts I would go with 16 . But that is a personal preference unless I am playing a bigger game. I really like leaping because it does become handy when all your gaunts can attack even if they are not in base to base. But if you want to reduce pts cost you can also take some troops just with scything talons and no leaping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ArchonAstaroth@Mar 15 2003, 10:12
    As spasmarod mentioned, consider a carnifex, armed with venom cannon.

jwu
    the carnifex, in my opinion is more effective armed with a devourer and a barbed strangler, because you waste the +2 strength bonus on the venom cannon.

Closed Thread