Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Space Wolves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment I am still trying to make up my first 40K Army. Well, here it goes.

HQ:
    Wolf Lord (Pair of Lightning Claws, Belt of Russ, Runic Charm, Meltabombs) 145

Venerable Dreadnought (Twin-linked autocannon, missile launcher, smoke launchers, extra armour) 178

ELITE:
    6 Wolf Scouts (2 Plasma Pistols, 1 Meltagun) - thinking of going tank hunting 114

TROOPS:
    14 Blood Claws (3 Power Fist) 232

10 Grey Hunters (2 Power Weapon, 1 Melta Gun, 9 Bolters) 209

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Land Raider Crusader (smoke launchers, hunter-killer missile) 273
    [My Wolf Lord and Blood Claws will be travelling in this]

Predator Annihilator (Heavy Bolters, smoke launchers, extra armour) 138

Predator Annihilator (Heavy Bolters, smoke launchers, extra armour) 138

TRANSPORT:
    Rhino (Extra armour, smoke launchers, hunter-killer missile) 73
    [this is for my Grey Hunters]

TOTAL 1500 Points

I know that I should probably have some more troops and probably some Long Fangs instead but I am thinking that I won't be able to protect them much - I think that my Predators will last longer - please correct me if you think otherwise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're right about the Long Fangs. Your predators will probably turn out to be a better investment, espicially since the rest of the army is mobile. The LFs would get left behind and alone. Easy pickings.

I think you are light on troops, but you're kind of at the break point for a Land Raider Crusader. Is it too much for this size army? It will depend on how the game plays out. That's about the only way you can get points for another couple of troops units.

I would drop the hunter killer missiles. Its a lot of points for a few krak missiles. Granted they have unlimited range, but its still expensive. I would also drop the smoke on all the shooty units, Dread and Preds. If you use smoke you can't shoot, thus wasting the firepower for that unit that round. Instead use their mobility to keep them in cover/hull down and shoot all you can. You could use those points to add a WG to your scouts and really deal out some hurt with them. Or perhaps get a landspeeder/attackbike or two for some fast attack. Armed with meltas they can tank hunt much better than HK missiles.

I would experiment using the same list, dropping the smoke on the shooty units (its good for Rhinos), drop the HKs, and drop the Crusader. Replace that with another two GH units in rhino's tooled up, and put the reduced size BCs in a Rhino as well. But that depends on the models you have. As I mentioned, the Crusader could turn out to be a real game winner, so you might want to keep it. Or it could be popped in the first turn and be a point sink. You just never know. All in all a good list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback Wolfraider. As I said, this is my first 40 K army and all the help that I get is most welcome. I take your point about the smoke launchers on the shooty parts - they have been struck off - and I will also get rid of the Hunter-missiles (just didn't know whether to use them in the first place). As for the Crusader, I will see how that pans out before dropping it, I think that it would be good to have all the heavy fire attracted to that than by Dreadnought. I was wanting to use it as a battering ram while my shooty parts strike at the more undesirables of the other army. Once again, thanks for your feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to have a lot of shooty parts... but not much in anti-tank weapons. I did an army like this a few weeks ago (1850 I might add), and after my fangs were destroyed had about the same weapons you do left. I ended up chasing this guy's eldar in grav tanks around the board for 5 turns.... Never killing one, but still taking out most of his troops and warwalkers . Other than that, I like the list, maybe a add termies instead of the wolf lord blood claw thing, but nice over all .

I like the use of transport, I think that'll really help. OH yea, and give your Scouts some melta bombs! These things are way more useful (6 attacks of these in CC versus just ur meltagun within 6" to ensure destruction. You'll be surprised how many guys just leave their tanks on the border.... I massacred a guys Warwalkers this way and I love finding Basalisks sitting in the back....

w00t,
    ---------------------------------
    RaG|NaR

Mooing peacefully since 1996!
    Got Milk?

<a href='http://www.adeptusminneapolis.com' target='_blank'>Adeptus Minneapolis</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks RaG|NaR, Meltabombs sounds like a great idea - I will try them out. As for anti-tank weapons, I guess that I have the two predators and the less indestructable ones I can use my dreadnought&#39;s missile launcher - that is if he survives for a while. I guess that i just wanted to try out the Land Raider Crusader and put my Space Wolves in amoungst his pack and do some damage - I know that this leaves me without room for extras. I guess that part is a game of gambling - he can either take out my LRC fairly quickly or waste a whole lot of heavy fire on it while I take him out with my Predators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooh, a tankeh army. Don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever played with that before....

Any time I play with tanks, they seem to go boom before I can do anything decent with them. I guess that&#39;s why I&#39;m more an infantry type person.

Good luck, and make sure you post with your results, I&#39;d be really interested to see how it all went.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the updated army with the adjustments I have put in so far:

HQ:
    Wolf Lord (Pair of Lightning Claws, Belt of Russ, Auspex) 132
    [Not really too sure with the Auspex - I just had two points left over and wanted to see if it could work - otherwise I could go for frag grenades for my Wolf Lord and my Wolf Guard Leader - let me know what you think]

Venerable Dreadnought (Twin-linked autocannon, missile launcher, extra armour) 175

ELITE:
    6 Wolf Scouts (2 Plasma Pistols, 1 Meltagun, Meltabombs) - thinking of going tank hunting 138

TROOPS:
    14 Blood Claws (3 Power Fist) 232

9 Grey Hunters (2 Power Weapon, 1 Melta Gun, 8 Bolters) 191
    Wolf Guard Leader (Power Fist, Bolt Pistol) 46
    [I would prefer to give him a Bolt Pistol as although the True Grit allows as a single handed weapon, you still lose the extra attack from the charge - I am also trying to get them in there fighting so long distance shooting isn&#39;t a necessity]

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Land Raider Crusader (smoke launchers) 258
    [My Wolf Lord and Blood Claws will be travelling in this]

Predator Annihilator (Heavy Bolters, extra armour) 135

Predator Annihilator (Heavy Bolters, extra armour) 135

TRANSPORT:
    Rhino (Extra armour, smoke launchers) 58
    [this is for my Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard Leader]

TOTAL 1500 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Polar Bear,

My advice since you&#39;re taking the blood claws in your LRC would be to skip the wolf lord and take a rune priest. Storm Caller is VERY powerful with these guys, as you get an initiative of ten for the first turn of CC (under new assualt) plus you can cast stormcaller on your LRC until you get into CC, giving you Hull Down as you march across the board . Otherwise its very shootie and I like it&#33;&#33;&#33; Oh yea, and drop the belt of Russ and give your Rune Priest a force weapon... nothing says "i love you" like hitting that daemon/tyrant lord/whatever has more than 2 wounds and smacking his ass to oblivion .

Good army list, tho I might have to say its a low point value to be thinking of LRs... on the plus side your opponent might not take anything shooty enuf to even hurt the bugger .
    ---------------------------------
    RaG|NaR

Mooing peacefully since 1996&#33;
    Got Milk?

<a href='http://www.adeptusminneapolis.com' target='_blank'>Adeptus Minneapolis</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say get rid of the powerfists for the blood claws and give them power weapons. that way you can strike first with thoes 3 when you charge. Also perhaps get rid of one of the predators for some more troops or both of the predators for a long fang pack......i dont know.....u might wanna try both and see wot works best for ur strategy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have changed my Wolf Lord to a Rune Priest - I took the advice and will try with Storm Caller - also gave him lightning claws.
    As for the three blood claws with powerfists - if I am charging, with the amount of Blood Claws that I have (along with the Rune Priest) I will be having 50 attacks without using the power fists so I am not too sure if I even need them to attack first - don&#39;t forget the hurricane bolters on the Land Raider Crusader (6 twin-linked bolters) - that&#39;s 12 shots with re-roll before my men even attack - and they shoot even when the LRC moves.
    I am not going with the Long Fang pack because I am not using any shields for them to strike from behind - all except the Predators will be moving up and attacking - therefore there will be no support for Long Fangs if I take them. I think in that case, the predators will last a bit longer - hopefully they should be able to take out the other armies heavies while I am moving in.

Closed Thread