Please Rate My Planned Imperial Guard Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my planned army.
    I want to know what you think before i buy it.
    The points values are only approximate as i dont have the codex but i have looked at it a bit.
    Sorry if anything is illegal buy please dont flame if it is. Just point it out.
    Dont tell me i need transports because i want to try a mostly infantry army
    Command Hq
    Heroic senior officer
    Power weapon and laspistol, Refractor field
    1 Standard bearer
    1 Medic
    1 Meltagun
    1 Vox operator
    Sanctioned psyker x3 (not sure if you can have more that one in a single squad if cant then i will spread them over other command sections
    Comissar powerfist and combat weapon

approx 250pts

3 Lascannons
    approx 120pts

3 autocannons
    approx 120pts

10 Karskins x2
    Hellguns
    1 Grenade launcher
    1 Flamer
    Sergeant with power weapon and hellpistol

approx 280pts

Infantry platoon
    Command section
    Junior officer with powerfist and laspistol
    1 plasma gun
    3 guardsmen with lasguns

approx 75pts

5x10 man squads
    Sergeant with laspistol and combat weapon
    1 grenade launcher in each squad

approx 350pts

Infantry platoon
    Command section
    Junior officer with plasma pistol and power weapon
    1 meltagun
    1 plasma gun
    2 Guardsmen with lasguns.

approx 100pts

4x10 man squads
    Sergeant with laspistol and combat weapon
    1 flamer in each squad
    Remnants squad 5 Guard

approx 290pts

What do you think
    Remember it is all approximate.
    I may give them sharpshooters but i might have to drop some guard to afford it
    I also have some daemonhunters to ally it with
    i have 1Gk master and 4 terminator retinue
    2x5 squads of Gk
    2 inquisitors (1 shooty 1 combat)
    All the assassins (i know only one can be used at once)

I also have a bit of spare cash (not loads) anything else this list needs?
    i appreciate any comments
    thanks to anyone who replies

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's the tanks? You can't win every game with such a shallow army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see what you mean but i am fed up of every imperial army being the same. A leman russ and a basilisk with loads of hevy weapon platforms and a few guard to shield the platforms and a platform in every squad. The army never moves and shoots. I know it works but there is not really any fun in rolling dice and destroying the enemy army is there?
    i know imperial guard are meant to be shooty but i want to try out something different. I may include 1 tank but i would like a unit of rough riders first as they are not often used but have a lot of potential.
    My plan is that all the hq units advance while protected by a few units of guard.
    The lascannons will destroy enemy tanks while the autocannons take down high toughness troops or transports. The rest of the guard army gives covering fire except the kasrkins which go along the flank and gun down and if necessary engage smaller units.
    It is not standard but i want to try something different.
    They will also be supported by an inq lord and grey knights and a callidus.
    Jarran kell and creed look good too.
    They dont have bayonets for nothing!

With faith in the emperor we will never fail.
    NOBODY CAN ESCAPE THE SCRUTINY OF THE INQUISITION!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. Theirs going to be a few major problems for your genuine Imperial Guard Army. Orks. Tyranids. Eldar. Chaos. Tau. Orks and Tyranids are just better than a bunch of guys with a helmet maybe and a gun. Eldar will easily outmaneuver your infantry and rip you to shreds with Dark Reapers. Chaos has Khorne Berserkers who will level your men and stick their heads on flagpoles. Tau has Firewarriors which will defeat your men after a long, boring battle. Also if your going for a infantry army *shudders*, why don't you have the freak guys as Elites? They're infantry, they're cheap, and they're 4 times more effective. Aside from that everything seems good. Only play Necrons or Space Marines though. You won't stand a chance against anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure, but it seems tanks could pretty easily kill this army if they kept the Lascannons busy and then the lasguns far away enough then the tanks would overcome you, so even other guard armys would be a problem, and marines overpower you with bolters and maybe a few tanks, Id say putting a tank or so in there is a MUST, Im sorry but it just isnt logical to leave it out. I mean you never see a real life army trying to march up into range of armies that have tanks, thats slaughter, and marching towards orks or nids is suicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it! This is what IG is supposed to be about. Tons of little dudes with guns. You're going to be getting a lot of shots per turn with this one! Also, everyone, this is what an Army List thread SHOULD look like. Take this as an example. Clearly legible and mostly properly spelled list, points defined, ideas for change stated, no excess chatter or incoherent garbage. Just a nicely titled, easy to understand thread. Kudos, Anderson.
    Si em, tow en can de lach.
    Tak! Tak! Tak ah wan, Tak a lah!
    Mi tow, can de lach.
    Mi him, en tow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Well, for a beginner, your list is not entirely terrible. I only have a couple of suggestions that I would make:

1) You don't need quite that many foot soldiers. Drop those last four ten man squads and get some heavy weapons instead.
    2) Try putting a heavy weapon in each squad. I vary it up a bit. I have 6 infantry squads and I put 2 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascannons and 2 Autocannons in them.
    3) Never ever ever have an infantry squad without either a plasma gun or melta gun. Yeah, I know that the boxes only supply flamers and grenade launchers, but thats cause no one will buy them otherwise. The exception is when playing Nids, exchange everything for flamers in that case, or upgrade to Jungle Fighters and get heavy flamers.
    4) Try using your command squads as infantry support instead of attack units. Your officer doesn't need anything more than a CC weapon and a bolter in this case. Also, drop the commissar; yeah, it's a cool model, but the points he costs aren't worth what he does. Upgrade the vox to a Master Vox and you're all done. NOW, once you do all that, keep them behind EVERYTHING so that all they are doing is keeping blown apart squads from running.
    5) You don't HAVE to, but it's always a good idea to have a tank or two. They really can devastate a squad, even a squad of SM's.
    6) Last suggestion. A squad of Heavy Bolters with the Sharpshooter doctrine are totally devastating to most enemies out there. I never leave home without a squad.

Also, you don't HAVE to have tanks, really. BUT, if you don't, then you better get several, and I mean several, squads of heavy weapons to make up for the loss in firepower. Lasguns are great, but there are things out there that a lasgun won't touch and you'll wish you had something stronger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, HourGlass, I do not believe he/she said that he/she was a beginner.

Onto the topic. Your planned army is horribly imbalanced and will be annihilated by other armies as previously mentioned. Dont get me wrong, I support an all Infantry army, but, even an Infantry army needs heavy support. Simply put, unless you support your Infantry with a lot more heavy weapons, either in Infantry squads, in Support squads, or inside a tank, you will be demolished every single game.

If you want to try a 'mostly' Infantry army i suggest buying at least one tank simply for support in the early games. If you want an Infantry "only" army then at least get some more heavy weapons. The only advantage i can see in this army is the probable situation where your opponents takes a lot of anti-tank weapons which will not be as effective.

Just to refresh your memory, Inquisitor lord Anderson:
    "In any army, balance is the key to success. A commander who pits his faith in heavy weaponry alone will be outnumbered. A commander who relies on combat without support will lose his force to enemy fire. Each element must work in harmony, so that the effectiveness of the army is greater than the sum of its parts - The Tactica Imperium" (Games-Workshop, IG Codex, pg.2).
    IG since '95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has nobody seen the battle report were the new cadians fought the orks, a list like mine won.
    Hourglass, i did not say i was a beginner and i am not. were did you get that from.
    I am experienced and that is why my list is different and also hourglass and others you just dont get the point do you it is meant to be different I WANT TO ASSAULT. do you think i gave the commanders power weapons/fists for the hell of it? NO so i can fight.

Melta militia when the british and americans were in iraq i dont believe they rammed through all the cities with big tank companies did they. What is holding the cities at the moment? MEN, INFANTRY, loads of tanks? no

Tyranids, although fast i think that 100+ lasguns and 20 hellguns will cause some damage to gaunts. I will probably be giving them sharpshooter doctrine.

Orks? see battle report i mentioned earlier. Guards were attackers aswell!

Tau? They have very powerful weaponry but in 1500pts they tend to take loads of high powered weaponry like railguns. 1 S10 shot makes no difference to my infantry but it could destroy a tank, meaning that instead of 150+pts being detroyed 6pts are.
    I could also put a callidus next to the most firepower heavy unit on the board.
    Her neural shredder could kill about 10 fire warriors!

Chaos? I have daemonhunter allies for this task. Khorne beserkers are no real match for grey knights.

Eldar? Their manouverability could cause problems but if jetbikes are used they will have to come close and i will charge them with an inquisitor lord.
    A friend of mine has regretted moving so close to an inq lord many times. Usually he moves in and tries to get a wound on him. The inq lord charges and kills all of them in one round. If darkreapers shoot i can kill them with autocannons and lascannons. If they shoot my heavy teams i can advance my infantry safely and keep all my combat squads together and fight one squad at a time while the other infantry keep away other eldar squads.

The comissar is there because he can use power weapons.

And deciever thanks for your support.

With faith in the emperor we will never fail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anymore comments and i say comments not flaming just because my army is of a different variety and may be too hard for some of you to use efficiently.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast