A shooty army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A shooty army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shooty army

Im in a bit of a pickle. I want to play a shooty army, but i dont knwo which one to pick. Ive narrowed it down to the obvious choices, tau and IG. I like the look and feel of both; i am at a lock. please give some input on how each army plays, your experiences with and/or against, which one you like!

thanks,
    dc

Creator and Head Patriot of USA Clan
    Head of Rap in the LO Music Clan
    "What can I say, I'm a repoholic. Just can't get enough of that repohol."
    I want everyone to remeber why they need us!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by dcawrest202
    Im in a bit of a pickle. I want to play a shooty army, but i dont knwo which one to pick. Ive narrowed it down to the obvious choices, tau and IG.
    Obvious choices ? Hmm not really. You had the option of Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children.
    Both had small problem in CC(EC can be deadly in shooty and CC), CC is the weak link in the IG and Tau armies, but as you said 'I like the look and feel of both', so i will say IG cause the have bigger varaity in unit options.
    MEAT IS MURDER
    Hammerskin
    Nation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha i didnt even think about Iron Warriors. but ive decided IG thank you for replying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagato
    CC is the weak link in the IG and Tau armies,
    not that much....
    tau can take kroot(which arent half bad at shooting either)
    ig can get kroot as well(kroot mercs) deamon hunters witch hunters ogyrns and rough riders
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Good choice.

BTW- I borrowed a friends IG codex the other day, and figured out that guard can have about 70 heavy weapons (Heavy bolter/Autocannon/Missile Launcher/etc.) in an army with just guys on foot (that mans not counting tanks/walkers/etc.). I could be wrong, it could be less, it could be more, but thats-

-70 blast templates of frag missiles
    OR
    - 140 autocannon shots
    OR
    - 210 heavy bolter shots

EACH TURN!!!

That is by maxing out troops choices/heavy support choices of course.

If that's not shooty, what is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

go guard! w00t!

Yeah, I used to think Tau were the better shootists, sill I fought against an ordinance heavy Iron Warriors list.

IG just have the biggest variety of heavy weapons available, and unlike tau, if there's a pesky unit hiding at the back of the map, you can always just drop an earthshaker shell on their head and turn em to dust.

On another note though, my friend has an Iron warrior list that is not only the most badass shooting army, but it smokes Blood Angels in CC like they were guardsmen. A lot of people underestimate the power of a chaos champion (they can be tougher than most force commanders).

But I think you made an excellent choice with IG. Before you buy though, take a closer look at the Hellhound Flame Tank. I think its the most overlooked and underrated vehicle in the game almost (mostly because few people realize that its inferno cannon has a 24" range). I always take at least one or two, and they do VERY well against even Space Marines (and they are MURDER to Tyranids).

Anyways, good luck with your guard! Bring down the hammer of the emperor on all that would threaten the Imperium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but the Tau have the Hammer head which can thriw down a pie plate over your trops and slaughter them cause ther insta killed with no armour save and then the tank comes up and they have a str 10 ap1 72 INCH range shot i mean come on that beats all even gaurd with all there heavyweapons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneShas'ui
    yeah but the Tau have the Hammer head which can thriw down a pie plate over your trops and slaughter them cause ther insta killed with no armour save and then the tank comes up and they have a str 10 ap1 72 INCH range shot i mean come on that beats all even gaurd with all there heavyweapons
    Ever heard of punctuation?

Yes, but for the price of the hammerhead, you could most likely have about 15-20 guardsmen with lascannons which would ultimately produce the same effect, but at least some of them are bound to hit, whereas the hammerhead rolls anything below a 3, and there is no pie plate of doom for you...

Also, ever heard of a Basilisk? Does pretty much the same thing as you described, except it can have indirect fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude your math skills are a lil low. i dont even play gaurd and i know that there is know way yo could get 15-20 gaurd all with lascannons for the price of one hammerhead.

the basic gaurd is what like 6pts a model? then you need two of them and thats 12 pts then you need to buy the lascannon upgrade for every two. that is like any where form 25-to 45pts a cannon.

so at max you could but in five lascannons with with 10 gaurd for the price of one hammer head. and then

i would take the hammerhead anyday over the 10 gaurd with there lascannons.

is int the bassy have to guess the range before shooting? then it scatters on a d6. you have to be one hell of a guesser to nail a hammerhead that moves 12 inches a turn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sorry but i have to go with dr. nick. I would rather have a ton of lascannons than on hammerhead. look at it this way, ur plaing iron warriors. in 2 turns the hammerhead is a pile of smoldering poop. now with guard, in 2 turns, u have maybe 3 out of the 7 lascannons you have. The 4 that are left can quickly take care of that defiler breathing down ur neck. (coincientaly, the same defiler that poopatized ur hammerhead).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast