Hello everyone, I need some help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone, I need some help.

I'll start this lovely thread with saying "hi!" to everyone on this here forum, that's the least I can do right now. Furthermore, besides introducing myself, here comes the real reason for this thread.

Yes this is probably not the most original of questions to ask, but to be honest I'm really not good at any decision, let alone one that involves spending alot of money.
    So here I am, requesting your help for *drum rolls please* choosing an army!

Right, here's the deal. I've been looking at all the armies in the 40K universe for quite some time, and to be honest I like almost all of them, I've read their respective sample army lists, some strategies, and all the other things that come prior to choosing an army to play with.

So, I hope this wasn't too confusing so far, now for the second part (woo and yay)!

Right, so this part should probably be composed of what type of army I like and what kind of army I want for you to have something to hang on to, right! Alright, I'll give it a shot.
    I basically like every army, but I do have some kind of hatred against the Witch Hunters (sorry for all you Witch Hunters players, not trying to offend you). Now for my actual preferences!

When it comes to preferences, I quite like a strong and fast army, I like armies wich have many individual squads, but still look coherent (yes I know this can be done with a good paint job, but some armies have units that look so diverse that no matter how you paint them they still don't look coherent). As for tactics, I don't really know, I'm guessing having an army that can fight in many ways is a good one.

That's about it, I know it might be a bit vague, if you need to know anything else to give me proper advice, ask away!

Thank you for your time,

Benjamin M.

Last edited by Benjamin; October 16th, 2005 at 22:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Well hi Benjamin; welcome to LO. Make yourself comfortable and stay awhile.

It would be selfish of me to simply say "Come to Chaos!", so I won't. However, it seems to me that you're looking for something that offers you diversity, while having a distinct flavor (I hope that made sense).

Without more information, it'll be hard for anyone to really help you. We can suggest certain armies, but ultimately, only you can decide which army is right for you.

What armies interest you the most? Sounds to me like you're looking for something along the lines of Necron or Space Marines/Chaos. Space Marines and Chaos are both extremely flexible armies, able to adapt to any situation you could probably think of. Necrons are much more inflexible, and excel really at two things - shooting their enemies dead, and staying alive.

Imperial Guard could also be an option, but those are hard on new players, and take quite a bit of skill to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Caluin for your kind reply.

And yes that's very true, ultimately it is up to me, but in some way it is always nice to get some advice from more experienced players.

As for the more information, what you said here However, it seems to me that you're looking for something that offers you diversity, while having a distinct flavor (I hope that made sense). is very true. I will try to add some more information to make sure you don't break your head over this matter. I will create a simple list with all the things I would like to see in an army, that should help, right!

Speed (while this is not the most important, it can be handy sometimes.)
    Moderate strength (I do not want an all out brawl army, but in one way or the other they have to be able to stand their ground.)

This is all I could come up with right now, I am not the best at it, but if you need anything else, just ask!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Benjamin; October 16th, 2005 at 23:30.
    Who needs a signature anyway?

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Welcome to LO, Benjamin, as Caluin said. ^_^ Make sure you read up on all the rules and I hope you enjoy your stay!

On to your army, I'll ask you some of the most basic questions:

1) Do you prefer mainly shooting, mainly fighting in close combat, or a balance of both?

2) How much do you like vehicles?

3) What types of armies catch your eye the most? I'd recommend looking at the top three armies that catch your eye, i.e. coolest models, fluff, etc.

4) What type of toughness do you want? Toughness in the form of a good armour save/Toughness characterstic, or is something like "toughness through speed" etc. more your style?

Hopefully we can help you out a bit more soon. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for your kind reply Lost Nemesis.

Here are my answers:

1) I quite like a balance of both, but I must admit that I like shooting a bit more.

2) Thank you for asking that question! I am not really fond of vehicles, especially not transport ones, but others (Predators, Defilers, Killa Kans) and all other attack vehicles are fine with me. I would not choose them as a mainstay in my army though.

3) Right now my top three would be 1: Eldar, 2: Tyranids, 3: Shared by Chaos and Space Marines

4) I would like a good armour save, but it is not the most important thing for me. Speed is something that is rather important to me though.

I hope these answers are adequate for you, if not, I will amend and add where needed.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Well, when it comes to speed and such, you've hit Eldar perfectly. Eldar are the second speediest army (for outright speed, only beaten by their Dark kin) and have a wide variety of troops. However, the only drawback is that they're a tad outdated, which means they might get redone soon ... I wouldn't let that stop you, though.

I'd search around in the subforums pertaining to the armies you're most interested in to get better, less generalised ideas! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe yeah that's a very good idea, I guess I will start there. I am still not sure though, it's an oh-so hard decision to make for me! :sleep:

Either way, I appreciate your advice, and if anything pops into your mind that might be of value, please do add it! :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    Hehe yeah that's a very good idea, I guess I will start there. I am still not sure though, it's an oh-so hard decision to make for me! :sleep:

Either way, I appreciate your advice, and if anything pops into your mind that might be of value, please do add it! :yes:
    I had/have the same problem you currently have .. I literally cycled through nearly every single 40k army before I settled on one to collect.

Just read up on the different armies, but I suggest that you don't read too much into them before selecting one .. that's what I did, and it hurt me bad, because I could never decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I agree with you on the part that reading too much about them is not good for making a decision, I kind of disagree as well.
    I think that if you are fully informed about the army, you could avoid some rather nasty surprises, things that you didn't know about the army that could affect your... "connection" with that army.

I could use myself as an example:

I used to have a thing for Orks, but I have a hatred against slang English. When I found out what kind of... "English" the Orks use, I instantly started hating them. Yes I know it is not the most valid reason to not like an army, but it is enough of a reason for me.

PS: I have another question. What is the least used army in 40K? A top three would be nice.
    Last edited by Benjamin; October 17th, 2005 at 00:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    PS: I have another question. What is the least used army in 40K? A top three would be nice.
    That mostly depends on your area. If I had to guess though, it'd probably be the following-

1) Orks.
    2) Dark Eldar
    3) Kroot Mercs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast