Imperial Guard Are Awesome! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everybody, I just finished my first battle with the Guard, and I have to say I love them! I played my friend who fielded Eldar and we tied, to the victory point, in a 1200 point Recon mission. Fantastic, here's the basic rundown of the armies:

Imperial Guard
    Infantry Platoon #1
    HQ w/ lascannon, grenade launcher, vox, power weapon, iron discipline, sharpshooters
    Squad w/lascannon, grenade launcher, vox, sharpshooters x2

Infantry Platoon #2
    HQ w/ missile launcher, grenade launcher, vox, power weapon, iron discipline, sharpshooters
    Squad w/missile launcher, grenade launcher, vox, sharpshooters x2

Command Platoon
    HQ w/ 2 plasma guns, master vox, iron discipline, sharpshooters, power weapon, refractor field, carapace armor, medic
    Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 1 lascannon, 2 missile launchers, sharpshooters

Basilisk w/ Indirect Fire

Leman Russ w/ lascannon, heavy bolter sponsons

Eldar
    15 man guardian squad w/ warlock, plasma missile launcher x2

3 man ranger squad x2

5 man wraithguard w/ farseer, wave serpent

wraithlord w/ star cannon

shadowweaver cannon x2

Basic report:

I got the first turn. I was able to destroy the wave serpent, give his wraithlord 2 wounds, and take 8 guardians and 1 ranger out in the first turn. Then I just concentrated on his troops and wraithguard for the rest of the game.

Analysis:

1. Sharpshooters is the best doctrine ever conceived
    2. Voxes are worth their weight in gold
    3. Basic numbers make the law of averages come around to the guard's advantage
    4. Guard SUCK in close combat
    5. Tanks are the guard's best friend

I'm sure you veteran guard players know this already, but I never realized the full potential of the army until tonight. OK, I'll admit I jumped on the bandwagon when the new codex came out, but still, some people don't like the guard because of the crappy armor and average BS.

Anyway, just thought people would like to see that there's another convert to the guard. I gave my army the knickname 'Dogfaces', because they made so many morale checks, it would make any player proud.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Analysis:

5. Tanks are the guard's best friend
    Absolutely True! I've been playing IG for a couple years now and I can tell you that all five of the above statements are very very true.

Your army list also looks very good too. I personally don't use Power Weapons or Refractor Fields very much. I give all my vet sgts. bolt pistols for a little extra punch up close. For the 50 points you could save by removing those item, you could toss in a Sentinel. Sentinels are probably one of the most useful vehicles in the IG army. They are easy to kill, but annoying as heck if you ignore them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 1 lascannon, 2 missile launchers, sharpshooters"

Heavy Weapon Squad? That is from 2nd edition. :o I believe that all the members of an Anti-tank Support Squads must have the same heavy weapon. Perhaps I am wrong as the wording in the Codex is not terribly clear. Does anyone know the answer with absolute certainty?

"Analysis:
    5. Tanks are the guard's best friend"

1. I hear good things about it!
    2. Absolutely.
    3. "The principle holding that probability will influence all occurrences in the long term".
    What is your point? :unsure:
    4. If you give Guardsmen Warriors Weapons, Xeno-fighters along with Hardened
    Fighters they are surprisingly more effective, but they still SUCK <_<
    5. I cannot agree with you more. I have said it many times before and I will say it again now, tanks are a real strength of the Imperial Guard. People who form armies around having no tanks are not thinking straight are seriously reducing their chances of winning a competitive game. Hourglass, rightly believes one tank per 500 points is the optimal ratio of tanks, however, I have a different point of view. Recently I planned a Mechanised 750 point force, also with Grenadiers, for use against Orks. It was comprised of the following units:

Command HQ + Chimera
    Command Squad + Chimera
    Squad 1 + Chimera
    Squad 2 + Chimera
    5 Grenadiers (no Chimera as they are not Imperial Guard Infantry, pg. 55)
    Leman Russ Battle Tank

Although this particular list is untested, a very similar force recently wiped out an Ork army within 4 turns. Taking a force such as this can really throw your opponent into disarray if it is not similar to your &#39;regular&#39; army list. I found that psychologically, 5 tanks was enough to crack his confidence before the game was even started. For those of you seeking to use a lot of battle tanks rather than APC&#39;s, the Grenadiers Doctrine is great as you can take your entire troops requirements in 100 points (no need for Platoons, and 5 man Grenadiers Squads) and spend your many remaining points on tanks&#33; Leman, Leman and another Leman&#33;. Note that these lists are not good for beginners as it can be very
    difficult to take objectives. They are great fun though
    IG since &#39;95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Yep, you can mix and match. It&#39;s just got to add up to three, no more, no less. Calling it a Heavy Weapons squad is just a throwback to the glory days, but Anti Tank Fire Support Squad is quite a mouth full, especially when you are typing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet, thanks for the heads-up, Hourglass. I guess the first time I read the entry I formed an opinion and saw only what I thought I knew each time i re-read the passage

Have you ever taken a tank army Hourglass?
    IG since &#39;95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

Yep, I have an Armored Company too. I reallly like it now that the new rules are out for them. Especially now that the lucky glancing shot rule is gone. I don&#39;t have to hide my tank from 5 marines with bolt pistols anymore. Although, the new vehicle rules are absolutely terrible IMO. This feeling is based on the changes to guess range weapons and the incredibly stupid "template damage and tanks" rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I have no idea what you are talking about, H0urg1ass. Do you mean the TVRs? The circle of friends I play with do not use any trial rules, so I have no problems with 5 bolt pistols ruining my day :ph34r:

On another topic (sorry, WeWantTheFunk), H0urg1ass, I am very interested in seeing the type of Imperial Guard army you use, since you are/were the top ranked player in your city (if I remember correctly). Could you possibly post an army list in the &#39;Army list&#39; forum sometime? I am sure some of the less experienced players could get a lot from it as well, as there really are only newbie Imperial Guard army lists in the &#39;Army list&#39; forum. I would really like to see what differences there are in your list compared to mine and possibly where I can improve my own list, or completely reorganise if I like yours. :w Besides, Space Wolf Biker armies are no fun
    IG since &#39;95.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

*Kicks to Army Lists.

Rules and Announcements are written in English, so you should be quite capable of reading and comprehending them.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were exactly are the new armoured co. rules listed? I have played Armoured co. for sometime, but I always had the infantry ready for any rapid change in the rules. There is probably another thread discussing Arm. Co. in detail. As a matter of fact I remember H0urg1ass and myself debating much there.
    *Fart* "Keep talking sir, we'll find you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Armored Company List is in Chapter Aproved 2004.

I think I&#39;ll buy more tanks and play Armored Company, some of the time. Not always though, as some situations could work against an all tank force.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast