Tau Vs. Necron - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tau Vs. Necron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone, I'm diving back into WH40k after about 2 years of not playing or collecting anything. I played a ton of Eldar before, then I started collecting Necrons before I quit. I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on building a Necron army versus a Tau army.. I know the old school Necrons pretty well, but I haven't even looked at their Codex (I quit playing right before it came out). Thanks in advance..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

pig
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill probably be no help to you because play tau and not necrons but I may be helpful, I have a mate who has recently started playing necrons and he is building on his tactics a lot. I m having a few games soon so I can tell you how he went and what is good necron stuff for killing tau

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its all wat u likw. would u liek firepower that is hard to kill. necrons.

wouldu like Strong precise firepower? tau.
    <insert witty remark here>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Necrons are probably the more tactically balanced force, with good close assault, shooting and mobility, especially destroyers and wraiths. Personally, I find durability to be their weak spot- yes, they get back up, but everything in the army bar the Wraiths is pretty easy to knock down, and my Ratlings have proven to be a serious pain in their shiny metal behinds. The Monolith is nasty, but its a big basket of eggs, and it can go down in one shot (just ask safeinacell..)

Tau on the other had are very flexible, have excellent firepower and mobility including a few strength 10 guns (&#33 and of course now the space-marine-killing rail rifles. Two Broadsides have enough firepower for almost any task, and a Commander with Crisis support is one of the most mobile and effective HQ units out there. The big weakness is assault, with only the Kroot (especially the Krootox and Shaper) being even vaguely effective. You can risk Stealth and Crisis suits in an emergency, but I wouldn&#39;t...

Majere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play both Tau and Necrons and i must say that Tau are a much more enjoyable force to play and model. Tau can pack quite a large punch with their fire warriors, and crisis can harness the largest, and nastiest array of assult weapons in the game; not to mention being able to move again after they shoot&#33; The assuly move will ensuer that your crisis never (almost never) have to see the bloody melle of close combat. If you still want the flexability of a necron force make sure you consider how a devilfish transport wil add incerdible mobility to your foce. Not to mention the hammerhead being able to move 12 inches and still fire its rail gun when you give it the multi-tracker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should go necrons and base your whole army round scarabs then tell me if it works so i know if i want to do it
    <span style='color:red'>-=Read the sigrules=-</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau is what I&#39;d Say being a Tau Man.

Ive only ever had one game against Necrons and I Won but it depends on what strat u use for either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont play either, i play eldar and space marines. but i can tell you a few things. tau are stupid. they sit back and do nothing but shoot, theyre more boring than an imperial guard army. i dont like necrons either, but at least you can have fun with them. if you want to win all your games, play tau. if you want to have fun and not sit back with guns and broadsides, pick necrons. but if you want a true thrill, go back to eldar.

eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule eldar rule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau are only strong against footslogging armies IMO. They have some serious issues with the more mobile armies especially since they are weak in assault AND lack ordnance.

I would personally choose Necrons although your win ratio will have lots to do with pts size (They suck at 500pts and are almighty above 2000pts) as large games let you field their nasty units like Liths and Destroyers more easily. Ppl say Crons are weak in CC. Let me assure you that this is not so.

Take my 10 Immortals at 280pts with a Res Orb in proximity. Say they are charged by 18 Banshees (288pts). Each Banshee gets 3 attacks on the charge with 1/2 hitting, 1/6 wounding and 1/2 getting past the WBB roll. That&#39;s 9/4 dead Imms. If you had a Lith for a WBB re-roll it brings the number down to 9/8 or just over 1 Immortal. By comparison it would have killed on average 9 Space Marines.
    Note that 10 Immortals getting one round of shooting into the Banshees will inflict
    100/9 or around 11 casualties.

My Necron army has 1 Lith, 1 Lord, 20 Immortals and 30 Warriors in 1500pts. Sure it lacks extreme range but Imms can move 6&#39;&#39; and shoot 24&#39;&#39; anyway for a total of 30&#39;&#39;. A squad of 10 will have 40/3 = 13.333 hits with a S5 AP4 weapon. Equal pts worth of Fire Warriors will have 14 hits with a S5 AP5 weapon. Personally I would choose the AP4 over the extra 2/3 of a hit.........

In a firefight Imms will almost always beat Fire Warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think tau are boring. I played them with my cc orientated nid army with little terrain and before i got into combat everything was destroyed. He killed my gaunts almost immediately (even though i had quite a lot) and then just gradually wore down my monstrous creatures. He used absolubtley no tactics and there was nothing i could do.
    It was not his tactics because i had beaten him quite a few times before when playing against his orks.
    Necrons give you a much more fun game but it is still personal preference what you prefer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast