Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'm a new player deciding on an army. I've had a few ideas for armies already, and have posted some of them, bu I just can't decide on an army to actually collect. I have thus far considered IG, a bike-heavy SM army, Tau, 'nid, Emperor's Children, Harlequin, and the Flame Falcons from one of the Chapter Approveds. I nixxed the Guard because a friend of mine (who will probably be my chief opponent) just started collecting them. I decided against the bike-heavy SM army because it is by far the most popular army and it would also make an unlikely opponent to my friend's IG. I dropped the Harlequin and Flame Falcons ideas when I found out that their rules were written for earlier editions.
So now I am left choosing between Emperor's Children, Tyranids, and Tau (or possibly an IG army allied with the Tau, converted from Tau Fire Warriors, as seen on the US GW website). I want an army who I can truly be strategic with, and will make for a good fight (not an easy win, thou maybe a slighty advantage) against IG and Orks (who will probably be my most common enemies). I also would like to be able to do a lot of personalisation to the army. I want an army that would look good when fielded, but still be good at being what it is: an army.
What I like:
What I don't like:
- I love the look of the Steeds of Slaanesh models
- Their fluff in Index Astartes is beautiful.
- Chaos armies scream conversion to me.
- They are still Space Marine looking, without the association of how popular Space Marines are.
- The lack of variety in their ranged weapons.
What I like:
What I don't like:
- All the models are smooth and clean looking.
- The 72" range on the railguns is simply amazing, especially with the ordinance blasts from Hammerheads.
- The high technology would be a great contrast to the low technology of the Orks and Guard my friends will be fielding.
- "For the Greater Good!"
- I am really intrigued by the tactical fluff in their codex. Namely, the fact that they don't hold ground by choice.
- The Crisis and Broadside suits don't seem to fit in with the rest of the army in terms of shape.
- They seem to be less susceptible to being converted.
- The soon-to-be-released stealthsuits are hideous.
What I like:
What I don't like:
- With paint alone they are highly personalisable.
- They are very open to conversions.
- They have a huge variety of weapons.
- They don't need justification for attacking anyone or anything.
- their association to the movie Alien.
- They may be too detailed for my painting skill.
- They seem to be the most expensive of my choices.
So, anyone have any suggestions? Emperor's Children? Tau? Tyranid? Something else? Pick one out of a hat and go with it? Convert a bucket of plastic army ment into Imperial Guard? Anything?
Thanks in advanced!
Last edited by Bowstrap; December 29th, 2005 at 09:27.
Well I guess all armies are strategic and are good.
I would suggest nids because I play them,I picked them because they appealed to me from the alien like look.and I like the idea of a swarming army.When I did this sort of thread for nids people told me they arnt very convertable.So if your looking for this maybe nids isnt for you.
ask yourself these questions.
1.The look,does the army appeal to you.
2.The type of play from them.Do you like their tactics?
3.The price range,is it affordable for you.
Last edited by Hammer of War?; December 30th, 2005 at 08:15.
I love my Emperor's Children army, thus, I'm really too biased to give you a balanced assessment here.
Here are some more advantages:
1) You will have a very unique looking army. Almost noone seems to play Emperor's Children in their original colours, and the pink and black will certainly ensure you stand out. This is especially cool if your models are well painted, as people will notice.
2) They're one of the most flexible chaos armies out there, with plenty of choices and tactical synergies. You can do close combat, you can do range (though not static range.. you're more like Tau in that regard) you can come up with sophisticated combos (blastmaster/warp amp synergy springs to mind) or you can just all out charge. An EC army is a good long term prospect because you can tailor it to suit your playing style.
3) Warp scream is one of the most underated abilities around. Very few common troops can top initiative 5.
4) Morale issues? What morale issues?
5) What's not cool about superhuman rock stars who kill people with really loud noises.
I also disagree with the lack of ranged variety. Noone's saying you have to max out sonic weapons in every single case.. in fact, as someone whose almost done it, I think it's a mistake. You should have some weapon variety, or you won't be flexible enough to deal with any situation. Marines and necrons love the all-out sonic army.. nothing can penetrate their land raiders/monoliths, and there's no AP3 at all.
Hmm maybe try Tau or Mech Tau if you want a mobile shooty army. If you want a mostly CC hoard army then go for Tyranids. And for Chaos they are mostly elites that are good at CC but still have a little shootyness. I could be wrong about the Chaos though as I don't play/know much about the Emperor's Children.
get tau,i play them.if your main opponent are imperial guard and orks get the tau!!! the S5 will eat through the guardsman and orks and they have no armour save.and the tau are VERY mobile.you can get a very mobile army with a very good amount of pulse shots(stealth and fire warriors)and the sweet sweet sweet hammerhead who drop submunition rounds who kill orks and imperial guard by the dozen.and the tasu have great anti tank so say bye bye to those naughty imperial guard tanks.and the crisis suits are great agaisnt these orks buggies and low armoured stuff.and the tau are very good agaisnt orks in general.and the tau are not really easy to play,you need to have some experience before you can play well with them.but then they are devastating.
againt the imperial guard don't try to just outshoot him,try to outmaneuver him and outshoot him in certain places,that shouldn't be too hard because the tau exell at that.
-A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
-And always on LO chat..