1850 Necron List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a quick little list I drew up:

Hq
    Necron Lord w/ Orb, VoD, Staff of Light
    200 pts

Elites
    10 Immortals
    280 pts

Troops
    4 x 10 warriors
    720 pts

Fast Attack
    4 Destroyers
    200 pts

Heavy Support
    3 Heavy Destroyers
    195 pts

Monolith
    235 pts

Total: 1830 pts, 58 necrons, phase out at 14 (right?)

With the extra 20 pts, should I pick up an extra warrior, or should I "upgrade" a destroyer to heavy?

Thank you for any comments on this list from you veteran players out there

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's something wrong here. You don't have scarabs. Incorporate scarabs into your armylist before you start bleeding from the eyes!! Hurry!!!
    For if one gave, he dared assert
    He knew that man was repentant
    For many a man is so hard of heart
    He cannot weep even though he suffers sorely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarabs to do.....
    I'd like to think that I can shoot up any kind of rino rush (tell me if I can't, I'm toying with add more destroyers) and a foot slogging army should be take some time to get there. While they slog there way over, I can most likely take out one or two groups before they get there, then tie up a group with the lord, and another with a group of warriors. Then I teleport out and blast them to piece. I've heard of this tactic working on this board, and if it won't, tell me and I'll consider adding in the scarabs.
    But it seems like the most effective way to deal with assault is tie them up, jump out and gauss flay them to death.
    I'd like more tactical advice than "Add unit X, I use them so you should have them"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alrighty then, I think this list might be a bit better, not sure. Included some scarabs, so no complaints there:

Hq:
    Lord with Orb

Troops
    4 x 10 Warriors squads
    180 each, 720 total

Fast Attack
    2 x 5 destroyers
    250 each, 500 total

10 scarabs

Heavy support
    2 x 2 Heavy destroyers

2 Tomb Spiders

1850 pts, 67 models, 55 necrons, phase out at 13 (42 kills needed)

Should tie up some sloggers with the scarabs and spiders, making more scarabs. I can out shoot tau warriors (10 destroyers and 4 heavies) and blow up transports (see previous parenthesis) while having a solid base. I only wish I could squeeze in the monolith.

Any comments would be helpful, especialy about dropping the monolith, and something that might be more useful then 110 pts on tomb spiders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the look of the first list. I haven't used Scarabs since I started playing. When I got into the Necrons I figured they just didn't work for my style of play.

First List: Very Shooty, and yes the VOD is important for that H2H Escape and then the following Gauss Masacre. Like the assortment of Heavy Destroyers and Destroyers. Very Formidable. Though against H2H Armies, Khorne and what not, don't advance at all. Take the back of the deployment zone and only move to get out of his assault range or to get 3" away from another unit. Make sure you have a VOD lord where they meet your front line.

Second List: Took out the immortals and the VOD Becasue of it. Okay. But then you took out the Monolith. Scarabs and Tomb SPiders have a purpose but when I have played they never seemed to fit in right into my armies. Put them with the diruption field and deep strike them, cool a tank killing unit. but as far as tieing units up, why, that is just a points waste then. Though with the myriad of destroyers you are sending out a lot of gauss fire a turn.

Over all I liked your first list first because of the Monolith and the Immortals. If you wanted to change that list, then you could add some wraiths for an CC oriented unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply

I just found that I didn't think that the immortals because I thought that killing from 36 range was preferable to 24 inches, an extra turn or two of shooting. So I dumped the immortals a VoD and added more destroyers. But now I'm not so sure.

On the monolith, I found it too much of a gamble. 235 points that goes bye bye against railgun or lascannon fire, possible as early as turn one. I just didn't see it could save enough warriors or kill enough enemies to make up that point cost.

Scarabs I though would be nice (and tomb spiders to a lesser extent) at tying up those korne bezerkers, wulfen, or whatever. I'm starting to think that wraiths might be the better choice, but the 30 wounds of the scarabs swarm is awfuly tempting. Which has worked better for you in the past, anyone that has used both (or playd against both)?

I'll work on a list that includes enough destroyers and immortals to give me threats at both 24 and 36 range. I'm not sold yet on the monolith, but feel free to prove wrong. About anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't collect Necrons but I have there codex so my advice may not be good.

I wouldn't have a Monolith because it's expensive.
    I wouldn't have it because it could be destroyed early be anti-tank weapons.

I would have a monolith because it's about the cost of a Landraider and people have Landraiders.
    I would have it because you can teleport units that are rubbish in combat out of combat and out of the Monolith.
    I would have it because it's quite good at firing.
    I would have it because it can deepstrike.

Really it's up to your playing style.

Hope I helped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have a monolith because it's about the cost of a Landraider and people have Landraiders.
    As many have complained about, its actualy cheaper than the land raider, and more durable (living metal).

But if I played Marines, I wouldn't use one unless I planned to move around terminators. I've just heard so many stories of monoliths or landraiders getting blown up before they can make up that exorbatent cost.

I would have it because you can teleport units that are rubbish in combat out of combat and out of the Monolith.
    True, but so can a lord. For less, I could grab another lord w/orb and VoD. This not only can be placed with the front squad to teleport out of combat, but another orb can't hurt. Or with those points I can grab guys that are good in close combat, a squad of wraiths and something else. In both alternatives, something that seems less of a liability than the monolith

As always, prove me wrong, I'd love to hear why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply

I just found that I didn't think that the immortals because I thought that killing from 36 range was preferable to 24 inches, an extra turn or two of shooting. So I dumped the immortals a VoD and added more destroyers. But now I'm not so sure.
    ---Read my reply a little farther down.

On the monolith, I found it too much of a gamble. 235 points that goes bye bye against railgun or lascannon fire, possible as early as turn one. I just didn't see it could save enough warriors or kill enough enemies to make up that point cost.
    ---I agree with you there, the monolith would be a target compared to the rest of your army.

Scarabs I though would be nice (and tomb spiders to a lesser extent) at tying up those korne bezerkers, wulfen, or whatever. I'm starting to think that wraiths might be the better choice, but the 30 wounds of the scarabs swarm is awfuly tempting. Which has worked better for you in the past, anyone that has used both (or playd against both)?
    ---I would suggest taking wraiths in case you run into power weapons. The CC units are to tie up other CC units right? Anything armored would be in plain sight of your 10 destroyers and 4 heavy destroyers. The tomb spyders also do not count when calculating necron phase out and do not have a WBB save.

I'll work on a list that includes enough destroyers and immortals to give me threats at both 24 and 36 range. I'm not sold yet on the monolith, but feel free to prove wrong. About anything.
    ---Immortals are only useful for their points when with a VOD lord, IMO. They are able to deepstrike in hard-to-reach areas, take out hiding units with assault 2 guass weapons, and hold table quarters, sometimes very useful.
    For if one gave, he dared assert
    He knew that man was repentant
    For many a man is so hard of heart
    He cannot weep even though he suffers sorely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

---I would suggest taking wraiths in case you run into power weapons. The CC units are to tie up other CC units right? Anything armored would be in plain sight of your 10 destroyers and 4 heavy destroyers. The tomb spyders also do not count when calculating necron phase out and do not have a WBB save.
    A fair point, but assuming that they're in there to deal with power weopons, the wraiths wouldn't get a wwb unless the lord is near them, which would draw him away from the phalanx. Three models don't scare me, phase out wise. Still, if I keep any close combat element it seems like the wraith would still be the one. But should I just drop all close combat elements and spend 230 points on some more shots, Tau style? At least on of the elements should go, and with those points, what?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast