Librarium Online Forums banner

New 40K missions.

13K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  john117 
#1 ·
Not sure exactly where I should put this thread. If it needs to be moved, please help me out mods?

Purpose:

To create, streamline and playtest new 40K missions.

Reasoning:

While there are a number of missions in the main rulebook, and White Dwarf or the journal pops up with a mission or two every so often, I still feel that there are a lot of unexplored mission possibilities.

I started this thread so that anyone who had a good idea for a mission could throw it down here and possibly get others help/advice in hashing out the details.

I've been thinking of a mission along the lines of 'The Guns of Navarone' for some time, so I'll throw down that when I get the chance.

Reactions: TwoHats
#2 · (Edited)
The Guns of Navarrone (sort of) mission

Well, I guess I'll throw my idea in here then.

Basically it involves initially using the kill team rules, followed by a game of 40K.

Story

Your forces have a paramount need to gain a foothold in the vicinity, but are balked from a direct assault due to the strength of the anti-orbital weaponry of the enemy.

In order that a landing is to succeed, a small group of elite forces must infiltrate the area, meet up with local partisans who will guide them to the site, and destroy or otherwise disable the guns.

The Kill Team mission

Central Objective

An armoured bunker attatched to at a pair of extremely powerful defense laser type weapons. These guns cannot be lowered to attack anything on the table, as they are designed for anti-orbital defense. As per the sabatoge mission they count as being armour 14, and are immune to glancing hits. In addition, they cannot be destroyed by ranged attacks from outside the central bunker, as the majority of their structure is buried under ground. Once within the bunker, the kill team may assault or shoot the guns as standard.

Terrain

As usual, the defender may set up terrain as they wish, with the only provision being that a barrack(s) or similar building be within 12" of the central objective.

Forces

As standard for kill team, but the attacker may take 30 extra points in addition to the standard 160 to represent 'partisans' aiding the kill team. The extra 30 points must be spent on extra models rather than just as points of wargear added to the original kill team.

Special Rules

The traitor: Unfortunately for the attackers, one of the partisans is actually a double agent whose loyalties lie ultimately with the enemy. Roll 1d6 every turn. On a 1, a randomly determined 'partisan' will reveal their true colours and move, shoot and assault as a member of the enemy. No futher 1d6 rolls must be made once the traitor is revealed. The traitor will get a 'free' move in the kill teams turn to represent the surprise of the treachery. After this they will only move in the brute's turns. Killing the partisans before the traitor is revealed is not allowed, but placing them in harms way(such as being the first to assault a brute squad) is.

The barracks: One of the Brute squads are deployed in the barracks at the beginning of the game and will not move from there until the alarm is raised or they spot the kill team as per standard.

After completing the Kill Team mission, go onto the 40K battle. The rules for set up and the like will depend on how the kill team performed.

40K mission

Terrain

The same as used for the kill team mission but expanded to standard table size. Any destruction to the boards terrain should be shown if at all possible.

Set up

The Defender may set up anywhere on the battlefield as long as they are at least 18" away from the attackers long board edge.

The attacker comes on from the long board edge up to 6" in.

Special Rules

If both orbital defense weapons were destroyed in the kill team mission, then the attackers may deep strike with any squad that is so so able to may deep strike. In addition 1 squad of troops not normally able to deep strike may deep strike.

Otherwise NO deep strike may be used, even when the unit or wargear allows deepstriking no matter the mission.

The attacker has first turn.

If neither of the orbital defense weapons were destroyed then, 2 preliminary barrages may be taken against the attacking forces. (To represent the fact that they have had to land elsewhere and fight their way to this location.)

If one of the orbital defense weapons is still active, then no attackers may deep strike and the attackers suffer 1 preliminary barrage.

Mission Objective

Victory Points, Table Quarters representing the continuing strategic value of the location even if the guns are destroyed.

If the defense lasers are still intact, they may be destroyed as per the rules for the kill team mission and are worth an extra 100 points each for the attacker if destroyed, and 100 each for the defender if they remain intact. Remember that they must be destroyed from within the central bunker.

There it is. I'm not sure if its very balanced since so much depends on the success of the kill teams mission, but maybe that's appropriate.

Besides, if the attacker was able to succeed in the face of the guns as it were, bragging rights would no doubt be theirs.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Vito_100
#4 ·
The_Outsider said:
Seems pretty good, the traitor in the kill team is also a cool idea.

All I would do is alter how the guns work in the 40k mission so it could be used as a stand alone mssion.

Otherwise it seems balanced and the special rules aren't to complicated.

Yeah, I thought of doing the mission as a 40K alone mission first using the sentry rules for the defender, and only a squad or two for the attackers until the alarm went up.

#5 · (Edited)
Send more space marine scouts with their big tasty genetically enhanced brains!

Kill Team Mission

Story

Your unit has been ordered to investigate a small urban center where communications have gone down.

High command orders your squad to spread out to discover more information quickly.

Well. You discover the information. This town is infested with Plague Zombies!

Central Objective

Kill Team: Get as many of your models off the board to the shuttle/helicopter/teleporter/(tyranid hive pod?) pad as possible.

Zombies: Eat Brains!

Terrain

Urban. Defender sets up the terrain as standard. There should be at least four buildings spread out between the four table quarters. Chose one table edge before any models have been placed on the board. This is where the kill team needs to get to by turn 6.

If possible for fun's sake, have signs, a runway, a dead man pointing a finger ect. towards the exit zone.

Set up

The Kill Team ignores standard unit coherency rules in this mission. Each model is in effect an individual. The Kill Team models are placed randomly in the table quarters by this method. Roll a 1d6.

1. Model is placed in far right quarter.
2. Model is placed in far left quarter.
3. Model is placed in near right quarter.
4. Model is placed in near left quarter.
5. The model is placed anywhere the kill team player wishes.
6. The model is placed anywhere the zombie player wishes.

No model may be placed within 12" of any table edge or 6" of models in another quarter.

Forces
As standard for kill team.

One should note that despite the special rules for the found shotgun in this game, equiping your entire kill team with shotguns specifically to compete in this mission should be frowned upon and discouraged by the referee by changing all the plague zombies into Uber Zombies or some other such method. If the kill team already has a shotgun or two in it, that's fine.

The goons consist of plague zombies.
Their statistics can be found in the Eye of Terror Codex.

There are however, additional squads of plague zombies appearing in the game.

Furthermore due to the highly efficient scent organs of the plague zombies, their detection radius is doubled.

The boss zombie, hereafter known as the Uber Zombie has these statistics and does NOT suffer from having to roll for rough terrain at all times.

WS 4 BS 0 S 4 T 5 W 2 I 3 A 3 Ld 10 Sv 4+

Special Rules

Hardware store/gun shop/armory/mall: The 4 largest buildings are may contain supplies that are useful to the kill team. In these structures, any kill team model may roll a d6 if they are in the building during their movement phase.

1. Plague zombie appears (in the cellar/closet/meat locker/washroom) and attacks the model searching getting the charge and striking at Initiative 10 representing the surprise of the attack!
2. Nothing.
3.High energy sports drink: The model may consume this at any point and gain a burst of energy. Gain d6" extra movement for one turn.
4. Shotgun: The model may now be armed with a shotgun in addition to the standard weapos already carried. For the duration of the game, the shotgun counts as Str 4 AP 4 Assault 2 Range 12". Rumors indicating that making the shotgun pumping noise before firing will increase the guns effectivness are unproven.
5.Extra ammo: The model may reroll missed shoots until the end of the game representing them expending ammunition by the boatload.
6.Kevlar/power armour/leather jacket :) The model may increase their saving throw by 1 (to a maximum of 2+) until the end of the game.

It bit me!

Any kill team model taken down by a plague zombie will arise in the next goon turn as a plague zombie.

Place the model facedown on the board rather than removing it when this happens.

When it arises, replace it with a plague zombie model.

These models may be given a headshot on the kill teams turn only before this happens by their team mates to prevent them from rising.

This requires a roll to hit with any weapon except a template weapon.

Obviously flamers and other such template weapons always work at preventing the rise.

No 'to wound' roll is required in any case.

They're Everywhere!

Every zombie turn, roll a d6. On a 1 or 2 an additional plague zombie brute squad will arrive on a randomly determined board edge.

Victory Conditions

Kill Team:

50pts for every memeber that escapes by the end of turn 6.
5 pts for every plague zombie killed.
25 pts for killing the Boss Zombie.

Plague Zombie:

100 pts for every kill team model killed or remaining on the board by turn 6.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about those VC or whether the mission is fair for everyone concerned. Little help folks?

#7 ·
TwoHats said:
I'll have a mission thought up soon for this...
Cool!

I was starting to worry that no one would ever read this thread, so I put it in my signature.

#9 · (Edited)
Viktor said:
I think it should be in the rules development forum, but whatever.

40k really needs more standard missions, only 5 is pretty weak. :(
Yeah I agree obviously.

So we've got:

Standard Missions on pages 81-83 of the main rulebook.

Cleanse, Secure and Control, Recon and Take and Hold

Special Missions on pages 191-192.

Night Fight, Patrol and Rescue

Battle Missions on pages 193-195.

Hold at All Costs, Meat Grinder, Bunker Assault

Raid Missions on pages 204-207.

Sabotage, Ambush and Strongpoint Attack

Breakthrough Missions on pages 212-213

Rearguard, Blitz and Breakout

If typically only the 'standard' missions are getting used that's a lot of wasted potential. I'm going to take a look at some of the non-standard missions and see if any of them can be adpated into standard missions, because some of them give you pretty uneven results as is or simply can't be accomplished with a standard army list.

EDIT: Whoot. 700th post.

#10 ·
Adding new and fresh mission special rules will certainly make a difference. At the last RTT I went to, there was a scenario with this rule:

Tactical elimination: Each player secretly chooses 4 units in the opponent's army and writes them down. These units will add extra victory points equal to their points cost if destroyed at the end of the game. So in short, you choose some units that are extra important to kill.

4 Units was for 1750 pts, I think that 1 unit per 500 pts is reasonable. That way it will be like this:

Game size: 750 pts = 2 units to choose.
Game size: 1000 pts = 2 units to choose.
Game size: 1250 pts = 3 units to choose.

etc. etc.

Oh, and you only get the extra point if the unit is fully destroyed.

Here is another idea for objective based games, Strategic points: Basically a secure and control mission, except that each objective will give an amount of victory points at the beginning of each turn to the player controlling it. If you have a scoring unit within 6" of an objective and your opponent does not, you get a counter representing an amount of victory points to be redeemed after the battle.
If the opponent takes another objective, he will subsequently remove one of your counters if you have any, and if you don't he will get one.

So basically, you struggle about who will be the one to get any extra VP at all.

At the end of the game, you gain an extra counter if holding any objectives.

Make out the number of VP per objective and turn like this:

Take the number of points (1500) and divide it by the number of objectives (4), then divide that by the number of turns (6). Then round it up to the closest 10. In this game, each counter would be worth 70 points.

Reactions: Grey
#11 ·
I tried this today and it worked really well.It adds a whole extra element to the game and makes you think about which units are really most valuable too you.Of course though,the enemy will obviously choose the four units that are easiest and most vulnerable to kill,so maybe some way of determining the units randomly?or is that just being too picky about the rules?Maybe thats the fun about it,you dont just use your men as meatshields anymore,it changes tactics altogether.Great idea anyway,thanks,

Tygra

#12 ·
Tygra said:
I tried this today and it worked really well.It adds a whole extra element to the game and makes you think about which units are really most valuable too you.Of course though,the enemy will obviously choose the four units that are easiest and most vulnerable to kill,so maybe some way of determining the units randomly?or is that just being too picky about the rules?Maybe thats the fun about it,you dont just use your men as meatshields anymore,it changes tactics altogether.Great idea anyway,thanks,

Tygra
Getting to choose adds a lot of tactical opportunities. However, you could decide randomly in the middle of the game? At the start of turn 3 or 4, whatever is best, you roll to see which units you need to take down.

#14 ·
Viktor said:
Here is another idea for objective based games, Strategic points: Basically a secure and control mission, except that each objective will give an amount of victory points at the beginning of each turn to the player controlling it. If you have a scoring unit within 6" of an objective and your opponent does not, you get a counter representing an amount of victory points to be redeemed after the battle.
If the opponent takes another objective, he will subsequently remove one of your counters if you have any, and if you don't he will get one.

So basically, you struggle about who will be the one to get any extra VP at all.

At the end of the game, you gain an extra counter if holding any objectives.
or alternativly- you could have each point equiped with wepons (HB?) of some sort, or med packs (a third of the models in the controling squad can re-role armor saves), or extra amo (a third of the squad can re-role to hit)
but that might be overpowered, just an idea.

#16 ·
is there a famed Captain Shrike mission?

I was thinking something along the lines of Shrike and ump infantry vs hordes of gobbos.

the SM could have a base somewhere inaccessable by teh orcs (jump height?)
at the end of X turns, SM's heal wounds?

several CP
orcs w a bunch of reserves
allow some form of looting by Shrike and company

#17 ·
Here's an idea that's been floating in my mind for some time:

Story:

Depending on your faction your story and gameplay will vary:

Imperials(Space Marines, Inquisitors, IG, etc..): the local PDF have recieved messages of disappearances in a nearby forest. They suspect that something big is over the horizon. An inspection squad has been deployed. A week later a search party was sent in to search for the first squad. A month has passed and neither has returned. You and your elite team must find out what has happened.

Chaos(Lost and the Damned, Chaos Marines): Ancient texts hints that a greater daemon is trapped within the forest next to this packed hive city. Should you release him you can overthrow your superiors and take control of this warband. The slaughter of the hive populance will also please the Chaos Gods.

Orks: Wee! letz smash dem humies!(do I really need to give the Orks a reason!?)

Tau: the "daemonic" energies have yielded a new type of crystal. Recent samples have shown that they give off incredible amounts of energy. There is promise in them. For further research, more samples must be collected. You and your team must collect them, but without detection. This is Imperial territory and we do not want to arouse tension during diplomatic times.

Eldar: There is a Necron Tomb lay buried within the local forests. You must seal them up before a full blown war starts. But be descret, Rangers and Pathfinders have found that several other races have also gained an interest in these territories.

Necron: Your a Pariah created from a dying man. You begged for your life. You and your PDF comrads have joined the ranks of the Necrons, the undying. Your lord is waking, but he is not yet ready. You must secure this place for him. He has sent you a modest taskforce, they are expendable.

The Game:

Forces: Depending on your race/faction your forces will vary:

Imperial, Chaos, and Ork forces must select a "unit" made up of solely one-wound troops with access to the armoury. You will also have 200pts in total to spend on troops, wargear, and weapons. Heavy Weapons, Vehicles and Bikes are not allowed. All models must be from the same unit(i.e you can have Space marine Scout Sergents or Space Marine Vet sergents, but not both together). Space Marines may not have more than 4 models, although they may have less. Orks must have 600pts But must have at least 10 models(there is no maximum). Orks may also have models without access to the armoury, but must come from the same unit as the ones that do have access.

Eldar forces must be made up of a "court of Young Kings". This must be made up solely of Exarches, all from different aspects. No two exarches may be of the same aspect. You have 200pts to spend on the squad. They have their normal options.

Necron forces are made up of any number to choices from the list, although they must all be single wound infantry models. A Pariah must lead them. They must total 200pts.

The Tau expendary force is made up in the same way as the Necron force: solely of single-wound infantry models. They may have access to the armoury. (eg they may be made up of a single Pathfinder, a Fire Warrior Shas'la, even a Kroot and a Hound). The force must number 200pts.

A daemonic artefact will be set up and will contain a Greater Daemon of Khorne.

Set Up:

Any table size, so long as everyone agrees, is fine. Because of deployment differences All must deploy outside of 12" from eachother.

Set up terrain for a forest. Also set up a Pyramid in the Necron Deploymen zone. A Daemonic artefact must be set up in the center. Around the Daemonic Artefact must be fields of crystals(use substitutes if required) scattered within a 12" radius.

Deployment:

Eldar, Tau: due to the nature of their mission they must set up with deep strike. They are not destroyed if landing in terrain, but will be destroyed if they land in enemy units.

Chaos must set up next to the Daemonic Artefact.

Imperials must come into the barod from reserves.

All others deploy as normal.

Objectives:

Tau must get their crystal samples and so must stay in a crystal patch for a turn with a single member of the squad doing nothing(shooting and Close combat). Then they must retreat off the board asap.

Eldar must destroy the Necron Pyramid, Treat it as a immobile vehicle with 12 armour all around. Note that only a Vehicle Destroyed or Vehicle Exploded will have effects, all other results are ignored.

The Necrons must survive the duration of the game, along with the pyramid intact.

Chaos must release the Daemon, they will attempt summoning rolls each turn, starting on the second turn. The Second turn the Daemon is summoned on a 6, 5+ on the third, 4+ on the fourth, etc. Once the Daemon is summoned then they must protect the daemon or slaughter the other races. If the Daemon is not summoned then they loose.

Orks: Kill Dem Humies!!!!(destroy everyone)

Imperials must locate the Daemon Artefact. This is done by having the artefact within LOS and a number of inches equal to double the Initiative of the model. Once it is located then the squad must retreat with their knowledge.

So this is my scenario. It is still in the development stages so any and all suggestions are welcomed. I, however, dont want compromises made with existing rules, as that somewhat ruins the fun of making up a scenario on your own. thanks.

#19 ·
I ran this one a while back, made for a fun match.

Take, Destroy, and Hold/The Last Stand

Story:

A strategic location is currently contested between two armies, however unknown to the armies a third force has holed up in the location only adding to the confusion of battle.

Table:

Larger than normal, divided into 4 quarters. Ruins, small woods, hills placed around the board. In the center of the board is a well fortified terrain piece, preferably a building, this is the objective.

Game:

3 players or teams minimum. The players or teams are grouped as attackers and the defender. The Defending team has half as many points to spend on their army as the attackers. The Players each roll a die and the winner chooses which quarter an attacker deploys in, the other attacker deploys in the opposite quarter, and the defender deploys in the objective.

Setup:

Players take turns deploying units in the usual order: HS, TR, EL, HQ, FA. No attacking unit may be placed within 24" of the objective. Infiltrators may not deploy within charge range of the objective.

Special Rules:

Reserves, Deep Strike, Infiltrators, Hidden Setup, Dusk and Dawn.

Game Length:

8 Turns

Victory Conditions:

The player controlling the objective at the end of the game wins. To control the objective a player may not have any opposing models on or in the objective. If the objective is not claimed or is contested by the defender the defender may claim a (very) minor victory for going out in an incredible blaze of glory.

This game was originally played in a suitably massive fashion, two teams of 1500 point armies and a single 1500 point army in the center. Therefore I can say nothing about how it might turn out in a smaller game. The main point of the game was to get a bunch of people togther and fight tooth and nail for a position while some poor sap gets stuck in the crossfire and struggles to hold eveyone off.

#21 ·
Here's a little something that just inspired me:

Horus Heresy Renactment: The Battle at The Imperial Palace

Story: Read the Siege of the Emperor's Palace for the story.

Forces:

The Forces of Order(6 Players):

2000pts of Blood Angels
2000pts of Imperial Fists
2000pts of Imperial Guardsmen(any army will suffice)
Another 2000pts of Imperial Guardsmen(any army will suffice)
One pack of 3 Warhound Titans
One squadron of Super Heavy Tanks

Forces of Chaos(6 Players):

1500pts of Black Legionnaires(a Greater Daemon AND a Daemon Prince must be present)
1500pts of World Eaters(Bloodthirster and Kharn must be present, Angron also must be present but do not count as a choice, points still count however)
1000pts of Iron Warriors(cannot use Basilisk, Vindicator, or Obliterators. Must have 4 Heavy Support, Dreadnoughts are Elites)
1000pts of Death Guard(Typhus may be present, Great Unclean One must be present)
1000pts of Thousand Sons(Ahriman may be present, Lord of Change Must be present)
2000pts of Lost and the Damned(must be led by a Greater Daemon)
2 Packs of Chaos Warhound Titans

Restricted Troops(may not be used):

Forces of Order:
-Space Marine Land Speeder
-Space Marine Vindicator
-Land Raider Crusader
-Storm Bolters(treat them as Combi Bolters, same cost however).

Forces of Chaos:
-Space Marine Vindicator
-Obliterators
-Defilers

Special Characters(note that their costs count towards their army's point limit. These characters ,must be present):

Sangunius: Treat him as Commander Dante.
Dorn: Treat him as Captain Lysander. He is fearless.

Angron: Treat him as a Bloodthirster with a Berserker Glaive, confering all the bonuses, test for mastery as normal. His cost is equal to the cost of the Bloodthirster combined with the cost of the Berserker Glaive.

Set Up & Deployment:

Set up a large palace covering 35% of a 8' by 8' table. The Palace must be surrouned by a semi-circle wall, which will enclose the palace. Set up Urban Terrain outside of the wall.

The Forces of Order must deploy either inside the wall or within 12" of the wall. Forces of Chaos must deploy outside 2' of the Forces of Order. The Forces of Chaos deploys after the Forces of Order. Daemons can be summoned or set up as per normally(they have been summoned prior to battle). Greater Daemons do not need Daemonhosts if set up as normal.

Objectives:

Objective: the Forces of Chaos are to smash through the defences. They have to have at least one Scoring unit from each army(other than the titans) to reach the center of the palace. The Forces of Order must prevent the Forces of Chaos from accomplishing the above for up to 8 turns. Of course you can simply wipe out the opposition.

Line of retreat:

Forces of Order simply retreat towards the center of the palace. They cannot run off the board as there is no where else to run!

Forces of Chaos may always regroup and can come back even if they are chased off the board, coming back as if entering from reserves(this represents another squad taking their place).

So here's my reenactment. There are still many bugs to iron out so be brutal with the critizism!

#23 ·
Scenario 1: Imperial City Siege. Bart one, breach the gates.

Objective: the Attackers must breach the main gate and will get double victory points for every unit they get through the gate. The defenders must hold out.

Scenario special rules:
Deep strike (attackers), sustained attack (attackers), Breach the gate. *, Random game length.

* Breach the gate:-
- The walls themselves are very strong; however the defense has one weakness, the gate. The gate counts as armor 14 vehicles with 6 structure points. The walls are armor 14 vehicles with 10 structure points each wall section and the gate each have 10 void shields.
- The force field generator: two bunkers lay on each side of the fortress. These contain force field generators. Each bunker that is destroyed causes the fortress to instantly lose 5 void shields.
- Sentry guns. Each wall section houses 3 sentry guns: each armed with heavy bolters.

- Point’s limit: 2500-10,000.

-Deployment: the defenders set up around the fortress. They may set up fortifications such as tank traps, razor wire (counting as dangerous terrain), trenches, and the like. Their deployment zone is 15”, They deploy everything before the attackers set up anything. The attackers can set up anywhere on the opposite side as log as they are not within 24” of one of the defenders units.

- the player should set up walls in a box like formation on thier side. they should place some turrets up and place the gate in the middle.

#24 ·
I don't care If i'm resurecting a new thread.

I recomend getting hold of the Board game of DOOM. Sounds crap but it comes with this realy coolterrain pieces, like indoor coridors and the such, suficiently blood stained. very much like spacehulk or something similar. This are awsome for kill team. I did a mission set insdie a space ship where the kill team had to escape to the escape pod, great fun. And another where they infiltrated past some orks then planted a bomb which trigered 'Crons to "wake up" and star chasing them and they had to excape! Great fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.