Fire Power & Mobility - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Fire Power & Mobility

I'm curious about what armies offer ranged fire power and mobility. I know the Tau, and both branches of Eldar do to varrying degrees. However, I'm curious as to other options.

Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

To what extent Cat, you mean a shooting based army that is highly manouverable?

From Personal experiance clearly Eldar, and specifically Saim Hann are the most extreme army in this respect, but most armies can do a pass at a mechanised armies, if the tranports carry guns then they probably meet your criteria, hence:

IG with the mechnised docrine or Armoured company rules
    SoB Mechanised
    SM either through mechanised or using traits to make them bike or assault based

is that what you are after?
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x3)

Yeah, ideas like that are what I'm after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Then from my own armies:

1. Saim Hann - an army of jetbikes and vypers, you really cant argue with
    2. Mechanised Cadians - the heavy reliance on Chimeras puts these ahead of the rest
    3. Other mechanised armies (Currently SoB and marines) have the mobility and some firepower on the move although mostly they must exit vehicles before they are truely fire based
    4. Blood angels, Night lords and other SM/CSM bike/assault lists which are really manouver and assult but do some damage with shooting
    5. Other armies

Either absurdly manouverable or not manouverable at all:
    Death wing and Elysians, in both cases the army is shooty and can deploy entirely using deep strike, but rather lacks mobility after deployment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Don't forget Ravenwing.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

Here's just some that came to mind.

Tau:
    Fast mobile army, and a lot of firepower. Has almost no close combat, and has access to such things as Battlesuits, Hammerheads, Fire Warriors, Kroots, Steal Suits, Brodside Battle Suits, Ethreals just to name some. They are fairly popular, and a well balenced army. They are fun to play (IMHO), and can be quite effective.

They are getting an updated codex soon, so if you were to start Tau you might want to wait for their new codex and models to come out. In the new codex, they are getting some new units such as vespids, new guns and wargear, and some other things to my knowledge.

A basic list would look something like the following (withought specific wargear or pts):
    HQ- HQ Battlesuit; body guards if you like
    Elite- Stealth Suits/battlesuits
    Troops- Firewarriors in Devilfish
    Fast Attack- Gun Drones/Pathfinders in Devilfish
    Heavy Support- Hammerhead

It's probally not a perfect list, but it may give you the general idea. Basically, everything has jetpacks, a transport, or can move 12". It's a fast list, and can dish out a good amount of firepower.

Eldar:
    Eldar are another fast army, and can be good at both close combat and shooting. They have one of the best anti-tank weapons in the game: Brightlances. They also have the Starcannon, feared by MEQs. They have great speed and one of their two tanks is the Falcon. It has a good amount of firepower, and with Spirit Stones and Holo-Field can reak havoc and be very hard for the enemy to destroy - especially when moving over 6". They also have some other units that can provide firepower, like Fire Dragons which a great vs. heavy infantry and vehicles. They have Dark Reapers, Rangers, weapon platforms, and other firepower units. They have good mobility as well, incorperating the use of Vypers, Falcons, Jetbikes, FOF, etc.

They also have some close combat units, unlike Tau. Some such units are Striking Scorpions and Banshees.

If you'd rather have a good mix between fire power, close combat, and mobility, then Eldar may be right for you.

They too are getting an update soon although I'm not sure when. Still months, though, I think.

Here's an example Vanilla Eldar list:

HQ- Farseer on Jetbike
    Elites- Warp Spiders/Banshees in Wave Serpant/Infiltrating Striking Scorpions
    Troops- Guardians with Heavy weapon platform/Infiltrating Rangers
    Fast Attack- Jetbikes/Vyper
    Heavy Support- Falcon

Again, basic, and is just to give you a general idea. The Farseer can be kitted out to do a certain duty whether its fortuning a squad, guiding a squad, or doing whatever. The Elites are all mobile, and quite effective. The Guardians can ge given transports if you like, but with FoF they should be fine. The FA and HS are also fast units.

Mech IG; Catachans:
    Mech IG lists, to my knowledge, usually incorperate the use of squads mounted in Chimeras, Setinals, Rough Riders, etc. They generally are mainly shooting type, but can also have some close combat ability - mainly from Rough Riders. They focus mainly on firepower however, like most IG lists.

There's also Catachans which can have some neat special rules like infiltrators and deep strike. They are also somewhat fast.

There's also drop troop lists, but I don't know much about them.

Here's a basic IG mech list:

HQ- Command platoon
    Elite- Maybe Storm Troopers
    Troops- Infantry mounted in Chimeras
    Fast Attack- Sentinals
    Heavy Support- Lemun Russ

Ravenwing:

This is a space marine chapter which focuses on mainly bikes and land speeders. They are very fast, and capable armies with every unit being able to move 24" per turn. They usually have a good balence between shooting and close combat, and can be fun and effective to play.

Here's an example Ravenwing list:

HQ

Master of the Ravenwing on speeder - 255

Troops

Bike Squadron #1 - 245
    1 x Vet Sergeant - Powerfist, Bolt pistol
    2 x Bikers w/ Melta guns
    1 x Bikers
    1x Attack bike

Bike Squadron #2 - 245
    1 x Vet Sergeant - Powerfist, Bolt pistol
    2 x Bikers w/ Melta guns
    1 x Bikers
    1x Attack bike

Fast Attack

Speeder Squadron #1 - 240
    3 x Land Speeder Tornado - Heavy bolter + Assault Cannon

Speeder Squadron #2 - 240

Speeder Squadron #3 - 240

Total - 1505

There's also many other armies - those were just a few. Check out the armies, and maybe play test some if possible. See what you like, check some of the codex's, and then pick!

You'll most likely be happy with what you've chosen.

Cheers!
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

IT is worth pointing out that the modern doctrine of fire and manouver, the core of most modern army tactical doctrines really doesnt work in 40K

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x3)

I want to thank everyone for the replies so far. I have Eldar, I'm wanting to branch out to a third army (Also have dark eldar in the works). My best friend plays tau so they're out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

I see, and you are looking for a similar fire/move army?

Also assuming you dont want to play a different eldar craftworld.

Then I think you are looking at either a speeder/bike based force (raven wing or a traits based marines army) or a mechanised force, classically both marines and CSMs can do this but the transports lacking fire power, perhaps a mechanised Doctrine based IG army? or Stormtrooper/grenedier one?

I suspect speed Freaks could get you there too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

If you already play Eldar and Dark Eldar, and your friend plays Tau, then why not try out a different style army?

But, if you still wanted a fast mobile firepower army then Cheredine gave you some good suggestions.

Cheers!
    Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast