Fantasty to 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fantasty to 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasty to 40k

So ive been playing fantasty for about 7 years now, and after getting about 6k points of chaos all modled and painted, i was looking into startingg 40k and just had a couple questions.

ive read a bit through the 40k rule book, but how much different is the playstyle? is there a steep learning curve or will experiance in fantasty help me any.

also, i have a fair bit of chaos deamon, but they are all mounted and glued onto square warhammer bases, would i have to rebase them if i want to start chaos for 40k?

and is that even worth it? deamons are almost worthless in fantasty, how are they for 40k?

thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

From what I hear Fantasy is much more complex than 40K. It should be easy to pick up as 40K is not that complicated. I really like the Chaos daemons I think that when they are used well they are about as hard of a unit to break as can be, however there are things that will kill them and can not be hurt by them so watch out for those. Overall though, I like daemons, though they are often not as good as the chaos marine (but few things are). However you need to take everything I say with a grain of salt as I am not a chaos player, I have just faced them many times.

As for re-basing them, I wouldn't make you. I think some tournaments might but that seems really rediculous to me as the rule says you can use the bases that the models come with or larger ones...If they come with squares you should be able to use squares.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Learning Curve:
    40k:Fantasy
    1st grade math:level 4 physics course in college

I played 40k almost flawlessly, (as far as rules go, let's not talk about tactics,) when I picked up Fantasy. I was blown away by formation rules, item detail, movement ranges and whatnot. 40k is easy as heck on formations, mostly everything moves 6" unless they have special equipment or rules, etc. Very simple.

You really should re-glue the bases. Base-to-base contact is essential in 40k and isn't as black-and-white as it is in Fantasy, and the sharp edges may gain some animosity when/if you use them to gain the benefit of base-to-base, particularly if the 40k equivalent is much smaller in model/base size.

Daemons in 40k are paper-tigers when fighting Daemonhunters, (go figure,) but fairly strong against most other Imperial armies... at least the Khorne ones are. Honestly I've never seen any xenos vs. Chaos.
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

On the 40k site they list deamons for sale for 40k Chaos and some of them have square bases. I think the fantasy and 40k deamons are interchangeable. Ask a GW employee what they think (if you trust your GW guys). I think it's actually legit.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

The actual fathwa is that a model can be based on a larger base but not a smaller base. I think the square ones actually have a larger surface area, so no problems.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I'd advocate for the round bases, that way the models fit with the rest of the army.

But, using the square bases is still okay.

+ Reply to Thread