What Is The Best Armoured Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

What Is The Best Armoured Army?

I' always like each of my armies to have a diffrent type of gameplay to them.
    For example I currently have a Swarm Firebase Imperial Guard Army and a Infrantry based infiltrating Death Guard army.

So now I'm looking for a tank heavy army, but before you answer IG armoured company keep in mind that all my armies will end up at the Grand Tournament and the armoured company list is invalid for GTs.

My Current choices are an all armoured marine army with a tech priest HQ or an Imperial Guard Tank army?

Your throughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Perhaps you could give a rough outline of both possible armylists. If possible that is.

An all Marines `AC` is pretty nice but then again, and IG `AC` is pretty cool too. And on the upside, you could use your IG tanks for a real AC if you´re in a mood for some casual gaming.

Regarding the Marines... a Techmarine as an HQ. It should at least make him very mobile since a `AC` has a lot that can take crucial damage. Sure IG can too... but I´m not into IG that much.

Maybe it would be smart to draw the outline on the amount of shots you get out of an army and which strengths and ranges. At least, if you wanna go effective.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

didn't an AC army get let into the grand tournament before? or was that something else?

either way, i think guard still ur best bet. take mechanised and have everything in a chimera, then take leman russ's and bassies and hellhounds and sentinels, and if forgeworld is legat in GT then hell u got so many tanks to choose from!

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here...

What about a Tau Tank army?

3 Hammerheads is nothing to scoff at, use a couple squads of suits, some Piranhas and a could devilfishes and you could have potent tank force...

I'll admit it won't be easy to play, but wheres the fun in easy?

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Eldar and Tau have by far the most powerful mechanised lists. IG armoured company is plain cheese so don't get that. Mechanised marines are kinda cool but underpowered (depends on how competitive you are). Dark Eldar tend to be mechanised too but they tend to focus on what's in the transports and not the tanks themselves.

So if you want a mechanised army i'd say one of the skimming ones is best. Tau, Eldar or Dark Eldar.

Of course if you're dead set on the Imperium then go ahead with mechanised marines... just take lots and lots of dirt cheap rhino's.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

id agree to go with tau. you can have it set up so there are only tanks and transports on the board with a couple crisis. (which can move up to 12" a turn) and a fully kitted out devil fish is almost as surviable as an eldar falcon for less points.
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau are the best in Armored Company Warfare, as Vs. any other armored company they have more bigger guns to take out enemy tanks. Rail guns, deepstriking fusion guns, pirahnas, railguns, sideshots with basic Str. 5 weaponry. If you are looking for an armored company that can kill any other armored company, the Tau are the force for you.
    I didn't even mention deathrain suits against the transports. Oh well.

A tau armored company isn't the best against enemy regualar armies, but it can hold it's own admirably, and often win.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

What about speed freaks? Everything needs to be mounted in a tank/ trukk. Sure it's not the heavies amour, but you can have so many buggies and trukks. Speed freaks have buggies as a troop choice just think about that 18 buggies zooming about the board scourching things and blasting away. If you really wanted you could have 32 tanks in a speed freek army. warboss mounted in battlewagon and 3 mobs of elites mounted in battlewagons. 18 buggies as troops, and 9 gun trukks as heavy, that is 27 av 10 and 4 battlewagons. I don't think that any other army in 40k can amass nearly that many tanks. It would be so fun to play.
    Last edited by necronoob; April 12th, 2007 at 15:07.
    Prey they don't take you alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

If you wanted something slightly different from all others suggested so far, and an army that still relies on it's tanks...

try a WitchHunters Light armor company. The Sisters really do need their Rhinos to be more effective, plus you could have either 9Penitent Engines (av11, 11, 10, open top) or 3 exorcist tanks (av13, 11, 10, with D6 Str8 ap1 missiles) you could induct guard to get a Leman and 2Armored Fist Chimeras.

with a WitchHunters force, it's not too hard to have 6 light armor vehicles. You can easily get around 11 AV11 things on the board if you go for the Penitent Engine list. with that list it's not about heavy armor, it's about having a LOT of armor on the board. It's a pretty tricky list though. It's a fun list however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres an interesting idea that wasnt posted yet. How about a Tyranids MC list. Lots of armour there. Masses of 2+ saves and big guns. Its pretty damn competitive too.

Oh and for a list with actual tanks check out this SM list that I made, not sure if its competitive, but I think its pretty cool.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=90644 (2000 Friendly chapter SM)
    Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast