Need some advice... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some advice...

Hey guys and gals, I need some help. I'm trying to decide wether or not to start a 40k army but I cant seem to make up my mind. I kinda got into the 40k stuff from the computer games and I just started painting some marines. What I'm really trying to decide is if it is worth it to get into gaming. Painting is fun and I seem to be doing a good job at it, but I kinda feel like somethings missing.

If I was to start getting an army together, I don't really think I will go with marines becuase I hear everybody and their uncle plays them. I want an army that is fun and challenging to play, but also not too difficult because I have absolutely no experience. I have it narrowed down to Orks (Goffs), IG (Death Korps of Krieg), or Eldar (Altansar). Just wondering what you guys think would be a good choice for me, as I have very little gaming experience. Mainly I'm looking for something different and fun to play. Tau and Nids seem kinda cool too, but less than my other choices.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit*
    Thought I should add why I like and dislike these armies.

Orks: They're badasses, love the fluff and converting options, and apparently they can be choppy or shooty. I don't like the limited variety of effective units. (I'll wait for the new codex to come out before I buy however)
    Krieg: Krieg look awesome with the skulls and gasmask heads and I like Tanks. Don't like the fact that IG seem to be too fragile and Krieg might be a little too much to convert.
    Eldar: Again, they look awesome, plus I like the fact that their units are the best at what they do. And they have sweet tanks! The only thing I don't like about them is that people seem to complain that they're "cheesy"
    Tau: Long range superiority is killer...but the I dont think there is enough troop choices
    Nids: I like "Big Bugs", but again, not enough troop choices.

Feel free to set me straight is my opinions are "noobish" but also tell me what I'm getting wrong.

Last edited by Omnius; April 7th, 2007 at 01:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the game. Having fun playing has nothing to do with warhammer and everything to do with people. Finding the right people to play with will make the game a million times more fun. If you cant find all that many people to play with I would suggest sticking with 500 pts and visit some gaming areas(such as your local GW.) Your info says you are only 18 so you've got tons of time to play especially if you go to college. They may even have a warhammer club at whatever school you go to. Heres what I suggest.

From what I gathered you seem to like the heavy units Tanks, heavy infantry, mechanized units, and such so thats how I will base my reccomendations

Orks: Orks are pretty cool for crazy mech stuff. I've played against them, but not as them. They even have rules somewhere (not sure where) to make your own tanks called battlewagons, which is pretty sweet. They also have some really cool heavy infantry you may remember from DoW called Nobs.

IG: Here is where you can get into some serious armour. Kreig is OK, but tank companies are where its at. You can field an entire army of those awesome tanks. My friend has one, its pretty sweet and looks awesome on the table.

Eldar: the new eldar codex(from what I've heard and seen) is pretty damn good. Although, eldar arent exactly a starter army. They have fairly weak troops and if you dont have a decent strategy you could get trampled pretty easy.

Tau: I have the beginning of a Tau army. They have really great tanks, but these guys are kinda tough to play at first as well. You really need a strategy here because they really have no Close combat units at all and you will need an escape route if the time comes. If you choose Tau, prepare to lose the first few battles until you understand just how to use them. (They are very underpowered in DoW so dont let that turn you off)

Nids: Ok having played Nids the most, I can really say I'm glad I chose them first. They arent so easy to play with at first because they have really weak troops and picking biomorphs can be overwhelming. (My first fexes were over 200 pts, which isnt so good.) Now that I have fine tuned my playing I can honestly say that if you want all heavy troops Nids is where its at. Search for Godzilla army or Zilla or Nidzilla on the Nid section and you will see what is so great about the big bugs. Also, being a DoW player I am genuinly upset that there are no plans to include Nids in DoW.

Unless you are really dead set on orks I wouldnt suggest them until their new codex comes out(when ever that happens.) If you want tanks go for a IG tank company, If you want an all new army(which has its benfits and can be great no matter what the army is) go with eldar. And if you want all Heavy infantry go with nids. Any way you go I would suggest getting 500 pts and build and paint them completely just to get a feel for the game and what is involved in collecting an army. Hope it helps.
    Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to have your head screwed on straight, but are you really dead set on not playing Marines? Black Templars can take the Holy Hand Grenade, you know...

If not, I'd go with 'nids.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

My little brother got into 40k thanks to dawn of war (he loved the space marines) but after getting an army he quit as it was to slow paced for him. You have to be aware that fluff is restricted to your own imagination and online forums like this. Dawn of War has the storyline and fighting for a reason kind of feel. 40k is much slower and just pushing plastic miniatures at each other, sometimes they even look a bit different.

Having said that 40k is great in a different way. It's much bigger hobby that's much more rewarding than online computer games.

Basically if you have the money to play 40k then go for it. Be aware though that money for computer games is going to go down the drain.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daroc: Thanks for the advice, I guess I never really thought about starting small...my mind just jumped to huge miniature armies (oxymoron?). But yeah, I guess you got it right that I like the heavy infantry and tanks, which kinda makes space marines the obvious choice, lol. One of the main things like I'm looking for is originality though. I guess I should probably talk to the guy at the game store to see what most people are playing around here. The guy told me he hosts a little tournament in the basement of the store every month, so I might even talk to some of the people there. And yes, I know what Nobs are, lol, I'm just new to this gaming thing, not 40k in general.

Cap'n: The thing I don't like about space marines is that everybody plays them. I'm painting a few in the Salamanders colors becuase you dont see them painted very much. But who knows, maybe they get played so much for a reason...And why would you go with Nids?

Link: I've never really thought that I might not like gaming. I mean, I like strategy games, pc and board, and 40k seems like a strategy board game on steroids. Plus, I think all the models and things like that are sweet, and even if I don't end up making an army I probably will keep on painting them. So I think the odds of me not enjoying the game are slim. I also don't want to throw a bunch of money away, so thats why I want to pick an army to go with before I buy any more models. Hopefully I can see some battles at the game store to see what its like, and Im sure the people there will have some advice to give.

Thanks for your input guys

+ Reply to Thread