Tau or Tyranids? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Tyranids or Tau?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyranids! *RROOAARR*

12 37.50%
  • Tau

19 59.38%
  • Neither

0 0%
  • Go wfb! (Warhammer Fantasy Battle)

1 3.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau or Tyranids?

Well im strating 40k again after a long break and ive decided to start collecting a new army. I looked around at the other armies and their variety and choices blah blah blah. And the two armies that really caught my eye are the Tau and Tyranids. I like the sorta AvP alien like style in the tyrids but i also love the kroot, stealthsuits and everything else in the tau army.

The basic thing i am looking for is an army that is great at shooting with a wide variety of interresting weapons and upgrades but also has a nice 1/2 CC units (like kroot).

I'd like to choose tyranids but their lack of units choices and good shooting abilities drove me away from them. Tau on the other hand looks promising and interesting. But i cant rteally decide.

Are tyranids and easy army which you can just run around and eat people :spell: and can take some damage?
    And what are Tau like?

If you think what im am looking for is a different army then please post it here but dont tell me to collect and imperial armies or chaos marines cos i hate them.

Lots of word ¬_¬ *pant*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with Tau. By what your looking for, they seem to be what you'd prefer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are tyranids just swarm over the enemy and eat em up or is some shooting involved? and can they take some damage? cos i may just go for the easier going army.

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, its funny really because you are stuck for choice between two totally different styles of army.

You seem to be saying alot about Tau so...

One pointer that has always drove me towards their race are the Markerlights. Basically one unit of scouts can "tag" an enemy unit with their markers, once that has been done your Hammerheads HUD will light up marking this particular unit. From there his accuracy will improve greatly. Any unit can take advantage of a marked target, i used a HH as an example.

Imagine getting engaged by something you cant even see, hear or target.

Tau, in some respects, is all about mobility, others play different tactics, as you will see, but there is a guy at my local GW store that fields an all mobile Tau army. I see opponents cry because they chase his units with close combat giants but fail to catch him, he just melts their faces while they insist on pursuing him.

As experienced gamers will say, just concentrate your fire onto specific units until they break, then move to the next unit. If you play well, you should break a unit a turn. If they do break through your lines, you will have to start thinking. Kroot arent close combat powerhouses, they arent meant to take out units on their own, they are to tie up enemy units while your more valuable units can retreat, and set up their guns again.

I hope this has helped!

Good luck deciding...but take your time in doing so, dont rush just because you want to start gaming, you will regret doing it if you do, trust me from experience. :yes:

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Well nids can actually be a fairly shooty army if you want them too be. I have the tau codex but after awhile it just seemed to me the only effcient way to play them was mechanized but I didn't really want that (wanted more infantry based army).

Though the way nids shoot is very different from the way tau shoot. Tau depend on powerfull shoots that usually are not very numerous and have marker lights help them with accuracy and have low AP. While nids on the other hand depend on massed fire with rerolls to hit and normally don't have very low AP.

Though another thing I like about nid shooting is they can actually hold their own in CC and a decent chance of coming out on top while tau have to avoid it at all cost. Nids can go with their big guys to do a lot of shooting with their devours and then powerfull shots with their venom cannons and barbed stranglers. Plus you can then have the mighty genestealer as a counter assault unit or raveners depending on which you like.

Really though I'm a bit more biased with nids as they were my first army and I just don't like tau as much as I used too. So really it should come down to how you like your army such as models, fluff, and gameplay otherwise you will be stuck with an army you don't like.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest that you read the Tactica for both armies. That way you know the strategies for both and can come to a more unbiased outcome.

In my eyes, Tau is an army with one huge weakness...CC. Being a Tyranid player myself, all I have to do it use a list designed completely for speed and I can wipe most Tau off the table by turn 4. I just use a cc winged tyrant, infiltrating broodlord with retinue, hormagaunts, winged warriors, lictors, and other slower units like shooty fexes. So far, the list almost always massacres any Tau I have faced, but always guarantees a victory.

I think the best part about nids is their flexibility. You can completely change how you play just by using different model types. You can go all TMCs, or ridiculous numbers with gaunts. You can give everyone a gun, or have everyone CC. It's all up to you. With Tau on the otherhand, its shooting and running and avoiding CC. I don't like that at all, but it seems like you enjoy the shooting. Maybe you'll like Tau more...or maybe you might even like a shooting variant of the nids even more.
    --When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did. Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car.
    -Jack Handey

D.M.I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you have decided on two armies that are polar opposites. One can move and shoot with the best of them with nearly no CC capabilities and the other is a CC monster with some shooting available, albeit not very effecient.

Really it comes down to choosing between a shooty army or an assaulty army.

Think of it this way; Tyranids are like snow skiing, easy to learn tough to master, and Tau are like snowboarding, hard to learn but once you get it, look out, there's no stopping you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Otsego View Post
    Well, you have decided on two armies that are polar opposites. One can move and shoot with the best of them with nearly no CC capabilities and the other is a CC monster with some shooting available, albeit not very effecient.

Really it comes down to choosing between a shooty army or an assaulty army.

Think of it this way; Tyranids are like snow skiing, easy to learn tough to master, and Tau are like snowboarding, hard to learn but once you get it, look out, there's no stopping you.
    Ummmm, snowboarding is way easier to learn than skiing.

I think Tau do better competitively. Once you're practiced at it, tyranids can't touch you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Prometheus View Post
    Ummmm, snowboarding is way easier to learn than skiing.
    I disagree. Having done both I'd have to say that it is much much easier to learn the basics of skiing than snowboarding. Hell, even the basic heel edge to toe edge turn can be hard at first. But after you get that down you can blaze through it. Whereas with skiing you just have to lean to the side and keep your skiis under you. It's getting the later more technical parts of skiing that can be hard. So, Otsega's analogy was spot on.

Now back on topic. If you like the 'aliens' feel of the tyranids then I say you should go with them. Tyranids are a fun race with a whole bunch of different options and playing styles.

However neither of these armies are particularly easy to use, nor does one have any glaring advantages over the other. In the end I say take whichever ones feels cooler to you. Rather than choose an army that you don't find quite as interesting in the hopes that it'll be slightly more competitive.
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, the snowboarding thing is a little weird. That said, you should remember that nids will require a lot more paint, unless you play godzilla. As a guard player, I know that painting is an important consiteration.
    "When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast