Space Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Space Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    could use some advice on a 1000pt army I'm planning to use for a tournament.
    I've come up with 3 lists could people tell me what they think of them.

List 1:

HQ
    Chaplain(1) with Purity seals, Melta bombs, and frag grenades, B.pistol (82 pts)
    -Rides with Tac Squad in Rhino
    Elites
    Dreadnought (1) with Twin linked Autocannons, extra armour, smoke launchers(118 pts)

Troops

Tactical Squad(9) with Meltagun, Vet Sgt with Power Fist Mounted in Rhino with Extra Armour Smoke launchers.(243 pts)

Tactical Squad (10) with Meltagun, Vet Sgt with power wpn.
    -pairs up with the dreadnought.(190 pts)

Scout Squad ( Bolt pistol and C.C wpn, Vet Sgt with Power weapon.(132 pts)

Scout Squad (5) with 2 x Sniper Rifles, 1 x Heavy Bolter(90 pts)

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad(6) 1 x Lascannon, 1 x Missile Launcher (145 pts)

1000 pts

LIST 2

B]HQ[/B]
    Chaplain(1) with Purity seals, Melta bombs, and frag grenades, B.pistol (82 pts)
    Elites
    Dreadnought (1) with Twin linked Autocannons, extra armour, smoke launchers(118 pts)

TROOPS

Tactical squad ( Meltagun, Vet Sgt with Power fist in Rhino with extra armour and smoke launchers(228 pts)

Scout Squad (10) Bolt pistol and C.C wpn, Vet Sgt with Power weapon.(158 pts)

Heavy support

Whirlwind(1) with extra armour (80)

1000pts

LIST 3

B]HQ[/B]
    Elites

TROOPS

Tactical squad ( Meltagun, Vet Sgt with Power fist in Rhino with extra armour and smoke launchers(228 pts)

Scout Squad ( Bolt pistol and C.C wpn, Vet Sgt with Power weapon.(132 pts)

FAST ATTACK

Landspeeders/Attack bikes(2) 1 x Multi melta, 1 x heavy bolter(115)

Heavy support

I'm expefcting to come up against all kinds of armies from Orks, Eldar, chaos and Daemonhunters, but mainly i think I'll be facing space marines. Any ideas on which army list is best or any ideas for changes would be appreciated.

Garro

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK,
    If you mean do we prefer the scout squad or the land speeder or the whirlwind the answer is the scout squad or the whirlwind - in a tourney you are likely to encounter greater demons, wraithlords, C'tan and Avatar who are all monsters but easy pray to sniper rifles, you need more of them by the way, on the other hand whirlwindas are worth their weight in gold.

On the other hand I would:
    Ditch the purity seals from the Chaplain in both lists, take him terminator honours

yopu also seem to be lacking anti tank stuff, in 1000 points I dot this by giving my marine squads razorbacks with TL las cannon, this frees up my HS to take Whirlwinds and possibly even Dev squads with Plasma Cannon
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer list 2, but you're lacking in the anti tank section so bulk up that dev squad with missile launchers.
    Apathy is the greatest enemy of all.

=0_o=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, hows this sound now,

HQ

Chaplain(1) with melta bombs, frag grenades, and bolt pistol(77)
    - with Tac Squad 1 in Rhino
    Elites[b]
    Dreadnought(1) with Twin linked Autocannons, Extra Armour, Smoke launchers(11

Troops

Tactical squad 1
    Tactical squad(7) with Melta gun, Vet sgt with Power fist, Rhino with Extra armour, smoke launchers(213)

Tactical squad 2
    Tactical squad (10) with Melta gun, vet sgt with Power wpn(190)
    - paired up with dreadnought
    Scout Squad
    Scouts(10) with Bolt pistol and c.c wpn, vet Sgt with power wpn(15
    - nuisance value, and harrassment.

Heavy support

Devastator squad(6) with 1x Lascannon, 2 x Missile launcher(165)

Whirlwind(1) with extra armour(80)

Enough anti armour capacity with the extra missile launcher, or still too weak?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK 1. dont under rate your scouts, they will probably hit your enemy just after your 'rhino rush' but this means they will definatley charge and they already get 2 attacks each so they are nasty, my son uses a Blood angels scout squad to support death company, I have yet to stop the double charge in any way other than throwing every unit I got into the meatgrinder and that is costly

2. to answer your Q, I am not that happy, that it does mate, you have added the ML to the dev squad but this means that the chance of your dev squad take down a vehicle is increased, it doesnt increase the amount of vehicles you can take down (does that make sense?) on the whole that gives gou a little more comfort against armies that field monoliths or land raiders which will only (probably - I have seen a conflict BA army with 2 land raiders) take one big piece of armour, but you may struggle against a heavy armoured IG army, just too many armoured targets.
    How about this for a suggestion - take the las cannon out of the Dev squad, replace it with another ML so it still has anti vehicle punch and yet can bop large numbers of light troops too, then look at your second tac squad, try adding a las cannon to that, you may need to drop a marine to get the points, but this means that against a bigger number of armour you can leave this tac squad back and shoot stuff up with the las cannon, gives you more options without weakening yourself too much
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tactical squad running across the feild with the dreadnought wont work.
    turn it into two 5 man squads with mls and its a good army
    btw dot under estimate scouts they are very good assault troops (better than assault squads imo)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, if you want a more hth army, put some power fists on your sargents and charge with the dread...
    "There are only two infinate things in the world, the Universe and Humen Stupidity, and i'm not sure about the Universe"- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say make you scout sniper squad larger so it can take more casualties. Then (if you can find the points) give it a vet Sgt. with an aspux so you can infiltrate and then shoot at you opponents infiltrators! You also need more long-range anti armor. I suggest making you army a bit more mobile by giving you rhino squads heavy weapons (preferably missile launchers). Then dropping the dreadnought and adding a predator annihilator with heavy bolter sponsions. I know it seems odd but it kills infantry like nonother and can hunt tanks!
    "you don't under stand, my empathy for you could fit in a match box, with the matches in it"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll put a Lascannon in the Tactical squad, and drop the lascannon from the devasator squad and replace it with a third Missile launcher.
    Sorry don't like the 5 man squads, 5 is to small in my opininion, personally i never like to have less than 6 in a squad.
    Any other opinions on whether i should add the predator and drop the dreadnought?
    The army now stands as this:

HQ

Chaplain (1) with Melta bombs, Frag grenades, and B.pistol (77)

Elites

Dreadnought (1) with Autocannons, Extra Armour and smoke launchers

Troops

Tactical squad (7) Melta gun, Vet Sgt with Power Fist, Rhino with Extra armour, smok launchers

Tactical Squad (10) Melta gun, Lascannon Vet Sgt wityh Power wpn

Scout squad(10) with Vet Sgt with Power wpn

Heavy Support

Devastators(6) with 3 x Missile launcher

Whirlwind(1) with extra armour

Total: 1001 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops sorry, forgot to put points in,

the tactical with lascannon is now 205 pts,