2nd army for houseplay - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which secondary army..

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dark Eldar

2 22.22%
  • Eldar

4 44.44%
  • Kroot Mercanaries

2 22.22%
  • Don't get a second army

1 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd army for houseplay

I live in a rea that has few, if any other 40k players. I've been building up by Ork army for a while, and I do know some places where family live that I could play, but I think it'll be next summer before I could try my Ork army out. So I was wondering, would specing $150 or so bucks be a good investment for a small second army. I'm thinking of starting a secondary army so any of my friends or family interested could play house battles with me. I've narrowed the 2nd army choices down to 3:

1) Dark Eldar. I've been wanting to support the most outdated warhammer army for some time, but I felt Orks suited my style. They'd give me good competition, and I could show my support for a interesting army

2) Eldar. They have a new model range, I like their fluff, they provide good competiion for Orks.

3) Kroot Mercs. I'm not sure if their official as standalone anymore, but like the other choices, I like their fluff, and the big plus with them is that I could use some of my kroot models as additions to my Orks should I play anybody else. Lord knows I like kroothounds more then the Ork fast attack options.

Now, I do enjoy simply putting the models togetehr and painting them. But I do got the codex, got several models. So it would be a waste of mytime and money to not get a second army simply for some friendly self-play.

Last edited by Sitnam; July 17th, 2007 at 06:59.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Just how small an army and are you paying retail? You'll barely get a lord and two troops worth of dark eldar plus codex for $150! Similar situation with Kroot Mercs($35 for under 130pts worth of troops! It's just as pricey as an all-metal army to put a given number of pts on the table). The Dark Eldar battleforce is an awesome deal if you actually want the reavers, but it doesn't really lend itself to making a decent army by just adding an HQ like other battleforces do.

Dark Eldar and Kroot are also hard to play. If you're making it as a lender army to introduce other people to the hobby and hopefully recruit them to play with, make it something they'll win with and can remember all the rules for!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

I said kroot as they are pretty cool. plus, you can get a good amount of kroot from the box sets.
    by my calculations, you could get 4 boxes of kroot and 1 master shaper for 150$. Greatest part is the codex is free online.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Mm, yes, as a collector of Witch Hunters and Orks, don't let me discourage you from supporting the less common armies!

I just think since your stated purpose was a second army to use to introduce F&F to the game, you should consider something suitable for a newbie to collect. See too many people get into fluff armies as their first because of well, the cool fluff, then get discouraged and drop it when they realise they've spent hundreds on a force that gets stomped 6 ways from Sunday by everyone they meet.

+ Reply to Thread