DA fluff question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DA fluff question

I'm trying to figure out some fluff for an SM army that uses dark angel models, I love the models, but I sorta just want to play normal SM with traits. My question is this:

The mystical dark angel secrets, what are they??? I know one of them deals with traitors from the chapter during the Hersey, and how they still are alive and then need to hunt them down. Is that it, are there other "secret" secrets (i.e. not talked about in fluff anywhere), are there other secrets that are known?

The direction I want to head with fluff wise is that some size of unit, no larger then one of the companies, has actually found and hunted down the last of their traitors, and so were allowed to leave the DA and form their own chapter. Giving them the traits of say Pious and either Zealous or Dutiful, and the disadvantages of Aspire to Glory and either Faith in Suspicion or Pride in your Colors. Again basically I just want to use the DA models with a SM army, but I enjoy having fluff with an army and want some solid ground to stand on.

Thanks in advance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your direction won't work cause there are still traitors out there and they are still gunning!

and the biggest DA secret of all is some of them wear Sisters of battle bathrobes! (instead of the mandatory toga!) {goofy}
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by techmarine Rannon Zriker View Post
    your direction won't work cause there are still traitors out there and they are still gunning!

and the biggest DA secret of all is some of them wear Sisters of battle bathrobes! (instead of the mandatory toga!) {goofy}
    I heard that they wore assless chaps under their robes...
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

The most well-known secret of the Dark Angels is of course the existence of the Fallen, who are living proof of the fact that half the Legion turned traitors during the Horus Heresy – the Dark Angels and their immediate Successors, together known as the Unforgiven, hunt these traitors in part to absolve the sin of their ancestors, in part to keep the traitors from spilling the secret to, say, the Inquisition, which would be most interested in learning of the corruption of a First Founding Chapter!

Another secret only known to a very select few is the fact that the arch-traitor Luthor, formerly Lion El’Jonson’s closest friend and the second-in-command of the original Legion, is still alive and imprisoned inside the Rock. It is said he also knows the whereabouts of the Primarch himself (whom the Watchers in the Dark are rumoured to have kidnapped after being grievously wounded in the final duel between Luthor and himself), but so far Luthor’s insane ramblings have given little clue to whether this is true.

And then there’s of course the biggest secret of them all, known only to the Emperor and possibly the Lion: the Dark Angels and their Primarch were originally named after Lionel Jonson, a 19th century poet, whose poem ‘the Dark Angel’ illustrates his private battle against homosexual urges condemned by his contemporary society. Whether or not this fact has any influence on the Dark Angels themselves, however, is currently unknown.

As Rannon says, however, it would be unlikely for the Dark Angels to ever hunt down all of the Fallen, so I’d find another reason for them to create a Successor Chapter if I were you.

~Greph.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

You could just play another monkish and ascetic Chapter that likes wearing bathrobes. There's no need to tie them to the DA too tightly if all you want to do is use the models. I mean, I use DA sergeants with robes for my Veteran Sergeants, because I just like the robes.

I'm sure it will be obvious enough that they aren't Dark Angels as long as you keep to a different colour scheme.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Or heck, what about a non-unforgiven DA successor chapter who haven't been told about the Fallen yet, and just think the robes are a cool fashion statement rather than all the 'woe unto us brother! we must hide our shame!' schtick..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

Am I wrong or wasn't it inferred in fluff over the years that Cypher is actually Luther? I remember that the second edition chaos codex had a nice bit of fluff alluding to that. Has GW changed their position on this or am I just going insane?

Also I had the idea a while back to make a DA successor chapter called "The Lion's Pride" They would have bleached bone armor with gold accents and wear lion skins and such. Just thought I would throw my idea out there.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

The best counter-fluff I ever heard about the Dark Angels was as follows:

While the Horus Heresey went on around the galaxy, and the Dark Angels fought brother against brother on their homeworld, the Fallen actually won. Luthor hid himself in the Rock, Lion El'Johnson and the true, faithful Dark Angels were either killed, cast into the warp, or scattered.

Since then, the true DA have been desperately trying to reach the Emperor and reveal the truth.

The actual Dark Angels are fallen who, upon hearing of the fall of Horus, turned coat again and went HEY GUYS WE WON WE CAST THE FALLEN INTO THE WARP DON'T HURT US WE'RE LOYALIST!!!

They aren't chaos per se, b/c they did turncoat back to the winning side, but talk about a secret to hide. The true angels, referred to as the Fallen inaccurately, are trying to reveal the truth. This is why the DAs will even kill other marines to quickly eradicate them - they don't want the truth getting out that they are in fact traitors. Frankly, I think this explains everything from Cipher on down WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the purported truth that the DAs are the loyalists and beat the traitors. Why do you think they are so quick to eradicate the "Fallen" or stash them away?

If you wanted, you could play off this fluff. You could have a successor Chapter that actually does want to suffer for their own past sins, and make it founded by Deathwing that were told the "real" truth, were disgusted, and split off on their own to spend an eternity of self-flagellation and crusading making up for the sin of their Chapter's secret and no longer pursuing the Fallen ... swearing not to turn in their brothers and get them all killed, but also swearing not to interfere with those surviving true marines either.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Grephaun View Post
    And then there’s of course the biggest secret of them all, known only to the Emperor and possibly the Lion: the Dark Angels and their Primarch were originally named after Lionel Jonson, a 19th century poet, whose poem ‘the Dark Angel’ illustrates his private battle against homosexual urges condemned by his contemporary society. Whether or not this fact has any influence on the Dark Angels themselves, however, is currently unknown.

~Greph.
    Aww shucks, with such a good build up you drop the Anti-climatic bomb that is the poem. I thought you would have brought up that the Lion is sleeping in a secret chamber of the Rock, known only by the Watchers and the Emperor.

Ironangel256, no Cypher is NOT Luther as the Codex clearly puts him on the Rock in stasis that gets interviewed by the SGM every few decades. Whereas Cypher has been in the 13th Black Crusade and is still romping around the galaxy causing Emperor knows how much mischief. He might get a revisit in the Upcoming Chaos Codex but I think he'd more likely be a WD article instead.

pendgaft, there is nothing stoping you from using the DA minis for your own SM chapter. As far as we are concerned they could simply be the Brotherhood of the Sword with Dorn geneseed.

Recently, I've been dabbling with the fluff of a DIY DA Successor who doesn't go chasing the Fallen because they are there to confuse the Inquisition. They are the well-mannered DA to offset the secretive and untrustworthy Unforgiven.

+ Reply to Thread