The Legio Ferrus - Please help with my fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Renaissance Man Inquisitor Earl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x2)

The Legio Ferrus - Please help with my fluff

Hi all. I created a chapter of marines a few years ago called the Legio Ferrus. I have now decided to make all the fluff and write a proper army list. Then I can start converting all my disparate models into a cohesive and themed force.

It seems that many people model marine armies with links to the AdMech etc. I hope to make my army unique with conversions, my colour scheme and fluff. My imperial guard also has close links to my marines so my fluff has dual purposes (they come from the same forge world)

I have come up with the following ideas but need some help making sure everything is ok and that it doesn't break any fluff rules. I am sure there are some most helpful fluff masters out there that can assist.

THE LEGIO FERRUS

Fluff

• A later founding from Iron Hands gene seed
    • Strong association with the Mechanicus
    • Follows the organisation and belief systems of the Iron Hands
      1. Have Iron Fathers
      2. Ferrus hand symbol
      3. Clan companies
      4. Affinity with bionics as they progress in age and rank
    • Mechanised firepower tactics
    • Black and deep red colour scheme – links to Iron Hands and Adeptus Mechanicus
    • Close ties with AdMech – descendant of Arch Magos that created the chapter originally operates on their home world of Acieris.
    • They are based in a fortress monastery in the mountains of Acieris. Acieris is a forge world. Snow in mountain areas and much pollution.
    • In the same system lies the death world of Verdan IV. The Legio Ferrus use this as training ground. There are many rusted and ruined manufactories on Verdan IV. These are a centre for initiate training missions.
    • They have had problems with ork incursions into the system. Some orks have taken root in the deep forests of Verdan IV. As such the Ferrus have a natural talent for hunting orks.

Forces

• Iron father – IH influence.
    • Librarian – provides knowledge and strategy where Iron Father provides leadership and faith.
    • Terminators – difference from Iron Hands. They acquired several suits from an AdMech Magos on Acieris. He found them on an exploratory mission.
    • Venerable dreadnought – original leader of chapter when it was founded. He was interned in a dreadnought to keep watch on the Legio Ferrus in the interests of the Iron Hands.
    • Assault squad – technology of jump packs. Only few of these units used as it is a supporting aspect of the Legio Ferrus’ mechanised attack plan.
    • Lots of vehicles/armour – mechanisation/technology.

I am Inquisitor Earl, fear my sandwich!

My website: www.ferrus-workshops.com

My blog: ferrus-workshops-blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Very nice idea.

One thing though.. Most forgeworlds are lousy places for marine recruitment.

The two main classes of marine recruitment worlds are deathworlds, where the very hostile environment results in a few badass little kids who meet the requirements for marine recruitment, and worlds on which gladiatorial combat is common. I guess there might be other worlds where children learn to kill from a very young age (not just in theory, but through practice) but generally it has to be pretty hardcore.

Hmm.. This is just my idea, but rather than a forge-world, what about a forge-moon orbitting an inhospitable high gravity deathworld. The chapter could either live on the moon, or elsewhere on the solar system (like an orbital fortress monastery or some such.)

As for why the forgemoon (okay.. that does sound wierd) is there, maybe the deathworld is rich in raw materials, but unsuitable for colonization due to the savage megafauna/high gravity/inhospitable environment etc. Raw materials could be shipped up to the moon by expendable servitor crewed mining ships and the finished products exported throughout the system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

I don't know if a foreworld would be that bad a place to recruit from. People grow up in a environment of hard labor and I'm guessing the habitat sections could resemble that of a hive world. So finding strong, tough, and suitably violent recriuts might not be that hard, and if they have tech background so much the better.

Renaissance Man Inquisitor Earl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x2)

Thanks for your input The_Giant_Mantis. I was worried about where the recruits came from. Taking into account Gardeth's idea which is very logical i have come up with a compromise.

• They are based in a fortress monastery in the mountains of Acieris. Acieris is a semi forge world. The large snowy mountainous areas are unsuitable for factories but many nomadic tribes inhabit these areas. Forge-cities cover the equatorial plains. There is much pollution in these regions.
    • In the same system lies the death world of Verdan IV. The Legio Ferrus use this as training ground. There are many rusted and ruined manufactories on Verdan IV. These are a centre for initiate training missions. There are also small cities where the abundant raw materials of Verdan IV are gathered for transport to Acieris.
    • The Legio Ferrus gain recruits from both the harsh environment of Acieris Forge-cities as well as the tribes of the mountains and the hard-bitten population of Verdan IV.

Let me know what you think about this.
    I am Inquisitor Earl, fear my sandwich!

My website: www.ferrus-workshops.com

My blog: ferrus-workshops-blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Earl View Post
    The Legio Ferrus gain recruits from both the harsh environment of Acieris Forge-cities as well as the tribes of the mountains and the hard-bitten population of Verdan IV.
    Ooh.. Now there's a good thought.

I mean, it's not like marines have to come from the world on which the chapter is based, many chapters do recruit from multiple worlds.

I'm still not sure about forgeworlds as a suitable environment for recruitment myself.. They may not be terribly nice places, but I can't see too many preteenage hardened killers coming out of them..

The other thing is that huge sections, if not most, of the population is likely to be lobotomized servitor drones..

But.. Hmm.. It works, I suppose. Maybe part of the manufactorum sectors or underground tunnels have been abandoned due to some kind of hazard and are now inhabited small tribes of hardy survivors descended from machine cultists who failed to leave.. They might preserve vestiges of the mechanicus faith, and provide tech savvy but hardened warriors to the chapter..

Just an idea.. My ultimate advice is to run it however you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earl, you could take the idea of the moon and remake it into something like this. Have the chapter based off a moon in the system, that orbits the biggest planet. The biggest planet is a forgeworld and the raw materials from this planet have them in close ties with the AM. Make the chapter recruit from the different world of the system that the chapter is based in.

Its just a simple idea and you could make each planet in the system a different type of death world because well it would be fun, haveing recruits come from different types of worlds trying to mesh with the other off worlders.

Just a thought

Erik Moraki's Great Company 16/4/7
    Borgut "SBD" GreatStrider's Ogres 6/1/2
    An'Gorath's World Eaters 3/0/2
    Sigurd GreatFang's Wulfen Host 7/4/3

+ Reply to Thread