Blood Drinkers: Codex or no? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Blood Drinkers: Codex or no?

OK, I know I said I was going to insist on using the Blood Angels list to represent my own later founding, a chapter of my own, with my own paint scheme, and so on and so forth. When I asked about later foundings, I was told that according to canon, there were none beyond the Second, aside from the Lamentors. I, at first, defiantly intended to make my own successor chapter anyway, and canon be damned!

Plans change.

I've decided to make it a challenge to myself to keep a standard Blood Drinkers paint scheme, and to make an army that sticks to the rules laid out for them.

Here's where my questions become relevant. I've been researching the Blood Drinkers, and I've found a couple important points I'm trying to take into account as I build my force. The big one is that, in contrast to the other Blood Angels successors, they are a Codex chapter. However, I'm seeing a few things that seem to contradict this. Most notable is their armor's iconography. For reference, I'm talking about the picture in How to Paint Space Marines.

1. - They indicate squad type and number on the right shoulder pad, not with helmet or kneepad colors as the BA's do.
    2. - The Sergeant is indicated with black shoulder pads, similar to those of the BA's.
    3. - The Company does not seem to be indicated anywhere on the armor.

That last one really has me caught. If the Blood Drinkers are a Codex chapter, shouldn't they indicate the Company color somewhere on their armor? I know they break tradition in the marking of their Sergeant, but that's probably because the standard helmet color is red, anyway. I know this is a really nitpicky question, but I really want to stick as close as I can to canon for this.

Also, just to check, will different Companies work together under one Captain? I thought it would be easier to separate my squads if I marked them as being from different Companies; then, Squad II from 2nd Company and Squad II from 5th Company could be fielded and not worry about confusion in the middle of a game if they get too close...

I build, I convert, I sometimes paint, and once in a while, if I'm really lucky, I might even play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

So your question is: should you try to mark your squads accurately enough to represent a multi-company movement of marines. In reality, very few players actually do this, because it very difficult and doesn't leave much of a visual appeal. There are several reasons you don't need to do this, and also reasons why you might not want to do this.

1) this will be tedious work, and considering that a company is comprised of 100 marines, you probably wont have enough to make this striking visual issue.

2) There are alternatives to help avoid squad confusion- perhaps painting the sides of the base different colors.

3) fluffwise: each chapter of marines has it's own individual traditions. While a chapter may be "codex", it is by all means not "standard". The UltraMarines wrote the codex, and they don't even follow it to the letter. Infact, they have so much deviation that GW decided to give them unique units.
    Along that line, perhaps the Blood Drinkers do not form Companies. Perhaps (like in my chapter) individual squads are called to muster as needed. They may not need to mark their companies, or perhaps they mark it on a purity seal or something. Who knows?

I would paint them in the over all idea of the Blood Drinkers, but add in your own flair. It will ensure that you don't put so much time into your chapter just to go into a store and see some person playing an army painted just like yours.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Actually, Blood Angels and their successors aren't a very Codex-adherent bloodline. The Codex is extraordinarily rarely used, since people talk of "the 8th company being deployed here" when the 8th company is formed entirely of Devastators and can't even be fielded according to the FOC.

The "They're really just another Codex Chapter" line has been enforced recently by JJ to explain Combat Squads in all of its tightass glory. Blood Drinkers are not standard. For one, they drink blood.

I would say bugger it and go ahead with whatever paint scheme you want. My Blood Angels are painted with white elements to represent them being a member of the 5th Company. The 5th's colours are actually black, but I thought white looked cooler. I mean, those aren't details people are going to pick up and shout you down for.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Well, a coulpe things to add to this:

First, I know that the Blood Drinkers have companies, because in How to Paint Space Marines, the picture of a Blood Drinkers Devastator Squad has a caption saying that they're from the Fourth Company (under Captain Ezekiel). However, the color for Fourth Company is green, and there is no green on the armor. Thus my original question.

Next, as I think about it, I could answer my own question easily. First Company is nothing but Veterans, including Terminators, and Tenth Company is nothing but Scouts. So, if I were to field Scouts and/or Termies, which I plan to, then I am already mixing Companies. (By the way, 8th is Assault; 9th is Devastator. I know, way too nitpicky.)

And yes, I realize that the Blood Drinkers can't be 100% Codex, because they'd have to have a Death Company so long as they suffer from the Black Rage. And, I also realize that the Codex allows for some leniency as far as markings to account for the basic uniform of the Marines; obviously, some marking schemes will look better than others depending on the overall appearance of the armor. I am going to stay as close as I can to what is known, but I'm going to have to fill in a few gaps by myself.

Some would say that I'm taking the fun out of this by dwelling on these minutiae, but actually, to me, this is part of the fun!
    I build, I convert, I sometimes paint, and once in a while, if I'm really lucky, I might even play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Just to visit this once more before putting it to bed...

After all my research, I've come to conclude that the Blood Drinkers being a "Codex" Chapter refers to their organization. Most Blood Angels Successors focus on Assault, like the BA's themselves do. This is why they can take Assault Squads as Troops, why their Veteran Squads are Assault, and why their Honor Guard (equivalent to Command Squad) can take jump packs. It's probably also why the Furioso Dread is an option.

As far as the Codex Astartes is concerned, this means that the BA's don't follow the same 6 Tac / 2 Assault / 2 Dev Squad composition for Companies 2 through 5. It's probably more like 6 Assault / 2 Tac / 2 Dev. The Blood Drinkers, however, do follow the standard, and if I want to keep the theme of the army, I'll have to keep this in mind when I build my army lists.

+ Reply to Thread