IG besting SMs - Theories and Strategies. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

IG besting SMs - Theories and Strategies.

This is a curious little question I've been asking myself ever since I finished Dark Crusade with the IG - seeing as this is a game, and the Space Marines aren't properly balanaced according to what we've all read in the books, under which circumstances would an Imperial Guard army, be able to kick a group of space marine's butts back to their homeplanet?

I mean we've all read stories about how two squads of SMs slaughter four hundred Dark Eldar that 300'000 IG couldn't dislodge from a city. Where do the IG shine that would acctually make an SM want to stab himself for losing against them?

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I think you are overestimating the attemopt of realism in the game amigo,
    the point of rules is mechanics to make it playable, more realistic rules for space marines are available in the game inquisitor, however, this is vastly more time consuming to platy than 40K
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a very simple situation where Guard are better than Marines, tell the marines to hold a battleline in a protracted combat.
    The Marines will sally out, make raids and hurt the enemy more early on but attrition kills them. Every snipers shot, every lucky kill and every artillery barrage wears your foe down and eventually your going to run out of marines. The ever numerous Imperial Guard however can absorb these casualties much more easily, they are expendable.
    Marines are a rapid strike group, not an occupying force or ground holders.
    You wanna take the city, send in the Marines, you wanna hold it for the next 3 months as you subjugate the rest of the planet, you call in the Guard...
    Course thats a fluffy response, game wise the power armoured swines hold a line just fine...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Yes maybe I didn't make it clear. I'm speaking purely Fluff wise. 100% fluffwise. I care about the game but in this case I don't really care.

@Cheredanine - I'm not complaining about the game mechanics or the realism of it - I was just throwing that out there in order to get my point across and to stimulate a few respondses ^^; guess you got the wrong end of the stick. Let me re-formulate.

What I mean to say is: Fluff-wise. Realistically speaking if you prefer. No game-rules attached, if you're a loyalist group of Imperial Guardsmen, and you're attacked by let's say... oh one full company of space marines. How do you send them packing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I think Emerald has it.. The big letdown of Space Marines is just the incredible rarity.

There are approximately a million loyalist space marines in the galaxy. (1,000 chapters of 1,000 men.) Your average regimental commander would probably think nothing of sending a million men (and women) out to die before breakfast. 99.9 percent of guardsmen may live their entire lives without ever seeing a space marine.

The most important thing I'd say is space superiority (which isn't actually in the hands of the guard at all.) Marines with access to thunderhawks, drop pods and so forth are far scarier than marines who are stuck on the ground.

Generally, though, even assuming they manage to get stuck it's going to be a long and frustrating campaign for any guard general. Because of the superiority of the marines, he needs to concentrate his forces in order to win battles, but because they don't need to rest, can run for days and still be ready to fight and so forth, the guard commander is going to need to disperse his troops, otherwise the marines will slip behind him and kill his supply lines (something marines don't generally need, but which are essential to any guard army.)

The best bet I'd say is to call for progenium stormtroopers, who can deploy rapidly by air to rquickly reinforce any battles while your big ponderous army works out what's going on.

In general, just the kind of protracted, annoying battle which could ruin a commander's sanity..

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

There is a quote in an old Imperial guard codex or some such supplement.

"For every Traitor Marine there are ten thousand loyal guardsmen. If we kill but one of them today we have succeeded"

Some Guardsman General before charging a fortified Chaos Marine emplacement.

The same would be true of Loyalists marines.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phrased in the form of a reply then I guess the answer is bog the marines down in a seige style situation and shell/orbitally bombard the bejeesus out of them.
    The trick would be pinning them to a single place i guess, because if they go mobile and fight the guard using guerilla tactics they would tear the guardsmen apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Hmm... and how would you fight them without air support? Only with infantry and armor at your disposal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

I'd say, the only way to win, is be smart. Smarter then your average guardsman. Do things a little differently. Make things as difficult for the marines as possible. Plans, and then coutner contingency plans. Bait them. Put you general in a large formation, force the marines hands, hide your troops. Set traps. Consume thier time with trivail matters such as crossing difficult terrian to get to your position. Take every advantage you get. Always have your men in cover or fortified positions. Even with these things marines will kill your men and most likely over run your position, but each time you do these things, they'll take a few more casualties then they would have. repeat the same steps, eventually thier wont be enough marines left. AND ALWAYS SET UP A OVERLAPPING PATROL!!!
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Thank you Albino Alien, thank you! Now that's what I'm talkin' bout. Alright I'm writing this stuff down. All useful :3

Guess the IG General would have to be one hell of a strategist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast