My Chapter's trainee selection - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Chapter's trainee selection

For my chapter's trainee selection I was thinking about having the "hopeful" youths have to fight a fulfledged marine (out of armour) for one round (one round being like a minute or two) and LIVE. Now he doesn't have to beat the marine he just have to live. There would be no weapons and the fight would take place in a "cage" ring.

My other idea is kinda like the trainees training in Brotherhood of the Snake by Dan Abnett.

Any youth who wants to "try out" is gathered into a group and given an objective. To make it to a certain place alive. However there would be marines trying to prevent the youths from completeing their objective. The marines would be using deadly force. Any youths who make it alive, are then considered "eligible" to begin training.

My chapter is very stern and unforgiving, beleiving any of the "weak" should be killed/sent to die. So this would fit nicely into their fluff I beleive.
    I realize that few youths would make it to the "eligible" stage and so Im planning on giving my chapter the "Death before Dishonor" trait to represent their lack of initiates.

Are either of these feasible? Or have i been drinking to much:drinking

Please feel free to tell me what you think

Thx for all posts

Nate

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Sounds a bit violent...which is good.

Chapters vary widely on their induction rituals, but they're all rough on the unworthy.

Death before Dishonor, represents an altogether different feel from what you're describing. A lack of scouts really isn't represented through the flaws system.

Death before Dishonor equates more to a chapter too stubborn to retreat when they recieve heavy losses (IE: One more day for dorn!) Its a left-handed disadvantage the way Never Despair is a left-handed advantage though (I've won a few games thanks to the enemy trying to finish me off definitively).

My Reconcilers, as an example of Death before Dishonor, keep fighting in engagements even when unnecessary because they subconsciously want to increase their own casualties (long story).

If I was going to go for a disadvantage for you, it'd admittedly be a tough one. There are no disadvantages I can think of that limit your basic troop options (Scouts and Tac Squads). I'd definately stay away from Flesh Over Steel, as it seems your chapter would be manpowered deprived though (if thats the angle your going for).

My question for you though is, why such the low turn over? Chapters generally expect and encourage attrition in their scout ranks in order to thin out the herd so only the 'real marines' remain behind. Despite this, the scouts are the future of the chapter and already represent a geneseed investment. A small scout chapter indicates....

1.) Pentitent Crusade: Where the Chapter is forbidden from additional recruitment as punishment until they fullfill some task.
    2.) Recent severe injury of chapter. IE: Someone just killed the entire 10th company or something.
    3.) Limited population to draw from. A space based chapter can hit up thousands of worlds, if you're drawing exclusively from a single planet, your planet might have had a plague, mutation, rebellion, etc (whch might explain why they'd be /really/ hard on their initiates to weed out the corrupt) This one might justify a Purity Above All advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx for the Reply Spook!

See I'm using Death Before Dishonor to represent (kinda like counts as, but in a fluffy way)
    the over all lack of marine brothers due to the over all lack of surviving trainees.

If you don't have a lot of scouts to turn into Marines then your not going to have sufficient number of replacements for your casualties, which means fewer overall marines

So basically I'm using Death before Dishonor for the effect, and making up my own fluff for it!

Anyway, so you think this is feasible, and not fluff murder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd agree with Spook on the Purity above all, and probably the disadvantage Faithful unto Death.

Another thing that could help us with you is to get a better feel for the fluff of your marines. "Perhaps they're tough on their scouts for a reason other than the typical 'We expect to see you die' approach." It never hurts to be creative, and I'm sure there's plenty of the fluff masters who'd be willing to help when we can't.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

+ Reply to Thread