40K humans' knowledge of aliens - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40K humans' knowledge of aliens

I'm wondering what is the level of general knowledge of humans in the 40K universe with regards to the other races. I understand that most military sections will have some knowledge of aliens, chaos, etc. I also assume that there would be some dissemination of information to major corporations that cooperate with local Imperium forces, especially space faring ones.

However, would the general population be able to identify an Ork or a necron? Or would they just go around screaming "I saw green dudes attacking my farm!"? I'm wondering about this as it will help me prepare fluffy stuff for local campaigns my game group is planning :drinking:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Re: 40K humans' knowledge of aliens

I know in the Ultramarines Omnibus, there's a passage about farmers on an agriworld poking a Tyranid pod with a stick or somesuch until it hatches and sprays them with acid. Also, in the Ciaphus Cain novels and the Ultramarines Omnibus, the knowledge of Necrons existing is classified by the Inquisition.

Since one of the tenets of the Imperium (to paraphrase) is "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates wide open", and they guard knowledge closely for the select few, my guess would be that the general knowledge of alien types is very low. One exception might be on the fringes of the Tau Empire, where the Water Caste of Tau have dealings with many Imperial planets.

Hope this helps.

Tekore

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

It depends on which world they're from, for example the populace of Utramar probably has a pretty good working knowledge of Tyranids after fighting Behemoth. Those from worlds around Armageddon, although lacking knowledge on Tyranids, probably have a very good general knowledge of Orks.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

a million worlds, so every world might have a different knowledge of aliens, so it really depends which planet it is.
    As a whole the =I= function as a censor to all knowledge, so on 1 planet they might know orks exist (because of a recent ork invasion) but never heard of the Hrud.

I can see some planets deep inside the emperium (near terra) where the population has no knowledge of aliens: they would not have suffered an alien invasion for thousanths of years and all knowledge of the mere exitence of xenos would be suprressed.

(800th post!)
    Last edited by Zema; September 6th, 2007 at 11:23.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Disagree, your average citizen would probably have no knowledge of aliens, since having such knowledge would be considered punishable by death by the inquisition

SMs are clearly in a unique possition and would have access to briefs on tactics, stratergies, strengths and weaknessess

dont think most Ig would have any knowledge up to the point where they are going to fight them at which point they would be briefed, and that would be a very polarised brief.
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Disagree, your average citizen would probably have no knowledge of aliens, since having such knowledge would be considered punishable by death by the inquisition
    like i said, it's kinda difficult NOT to have knowledge of orks when they're running amok in the streets, if they're are no xenos in the immidiate locale: then no, they would have no knowledge of the mere existence of alien
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

I think the knowledge of xenos depends on what world you are from. I thought that the average Joe though knew of the exsistance of xenos races but nothing else. I guess I was wrong on that part I think. See I thought that the average joe knew that xenos were out there and who to identify them but knew nothing else from there. The Imperium feeding them propaganda saying that all xenos are pure consitrated evil and other negative things about the xenos races. Know I guess my belief was crushed today.
    Last edited by Marrius; September 6th, 2007 at 17:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I wouldn't go so far as to say that people have no information, they need enough to know that aliens exist and they need to look out for them, or their sheer ignorance makes them vulnerable. On the other hand, they can't know enough to be able to empathise or develop any accord with aliens.

Remember that 'citizens beware' poster in the Tyranid article telling people what to do in the event of a spore attack. Clearly, those citizens weren't completely ignorant. Granted, it's not explaining the full story (for example, that they're going to be royally screwed hiding in the basement when the mycetic spores start dropping) but it explains enough to ensure noone's going to be poking any spores to see what happens..

I believe guardsmen and PDF are generally issued with basic info as well.. Plenty of fluff bits take the form of enemy identification cards to be issued to soldiers. Again, it's not the whole story, but enough to ensure they can fight effectively.

Necrons are a special case, I believe, because the Ordo Xenos is seriously freaked out by them.

Chaos, I'd imagine, is much, much more sensitive as regards information, simply because people turn to chaos by free will, and the more knowledge they have the easier it would be to do so.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I don't think Orks would be restricted knowledge; they're pervasive throughout the galaxy and no human is likely to develop an fondness for them. Tyranids, too, although on a much lesser scale, and right on down to Necrons where knowledge of them isn't an issue as there are so few (civilian) survivors.

Guard would have detailed knowledge. They need to know that stuff.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well it's diiferent for every planet

If I was on a planet that was in an area frequently raided by Dark eldar, and I've seen someone bring in one of there bodies and show use the foul Xenos, then Yeah, I'd be like "hey, that guy has elf ears, he's a xenos, Dropkick him!" or if an ork infestation was nearby I'd be like, "the emperors holy socks! those Orks are coming for me, DROPKICK TIME!"

so if on planet A the orks are near that area, then people would know about orks

and if on the other side of the galaxy on planet B Chaos Space Marines are going around, then I'd know that that space marine coming for me is a different colour than the Normal space marines that have a temple around here

it's all in the planet, but everyone should know that Xenos exist.
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast