Word Bearers story, part nineteen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

Word Bearers story, part nineteen

Hey guys, it's been a while since I continued with this story, but here's the latest addition, if my loyal readers are still out there.

Carcerus watched as the apothecaries strolled through the now silent battlefield, crouching down every now and then to draw the geneseed from the bodies of the dead, Word Bearer and Ultramarine alike. He fought the desire to clench his fists as he felt a wave of anger wash over him at the thought of how many brothers he had lost that day. He exhaled slowly, promising himself that the so-called Emperor of Man would pay.

He turned away from the aftermath of the carnage and watched as Kali walked towards him, her long legs flexing lithely as two males in Imperial Guard uniform followed behind her. He recognized them immediately as the two prisoners who he had allowed to escape.

“Lieutenant Larson, Sergeant Banks, welcome back. I am glad to see that you are still in one piece.”

Larson said nothing, standing silently with his arms across his chest.

“Lieutenant, why don’t you join me in my chambers? We have much to discuss, you and I.”

He led Larson to a makeshift hut that looked as if it had been fashioned from bone while Kali led Banks to a tent where he was to remain under watch. Carcerus motioned for Larson to take a seat and did the same behind his desk.

“You have made a long journey,” he said, leaning back in a chair that surprisingly supported his armored bulk.

“Everything I’ve ever believed has been for nothing,” Larson replied with an exasperated sigh, breaking the silence.

“Everything you’ve ever believed is a lie,” Carcerus answered softly, as if he regretted the ignorance that Larson had lived in. “I have travelled the stars since the days when the Emperor walked amongst us. I will tell you a tale of tragedy and hope, from man’s ascent when the Primarchs swore allegiance to the Emperor, to the Emperor’s betrayal of his space marines, and man’s plunge back into the darkness.”

---

Carcerus stood proud in his astartes power armor, his bolt pistol and crozius strapped to his waist, and bellowed for the Thirty-Sixth Battle Company to kneel as the Emperor came into view. As one the Word Bearers made the sign of the Aquila and knelt in the face of the mighty presence before them.

The Emperor wore an ornate suit of white terminator armor, trimmed with a dazzling gold, an exquisitely crafted power sword, and a heavy power fist. Long curls of black hair loosely framed his noble features, which tightened almost imperceptibly at this display of religious fervor.

The ranks of the Word Bearers then parted, allowing their primarch, Lorgar, to step forward and embrace his father. Carcerus glanced upwards as their armor clanked together, and could not help but notice the coldness in the Emperor’s eyes, and was puzzled by the anger that flickered like a terrible flame.

Lorgar led his father into his personal chambers and the metal doors slid closed behind them, leaving the Thirty-Sixth Battle Company to stand watch over their Primarch’s quarters. Carcerus dismissed the majority of them to carry out their personal activities, whether it be to practice in the cages, develop their minds in the library, or spend time in worship of the Emperor, and assigned Squad Sirvos to take the first shift.

Carcerus leant forward on a guardrail and looked out across the stars, gazing at the magnificent Word Bearer’s fleet and the Dominus Invictus, which would one day be Carcerus’ capital ship, though that would not come to pass for centuries.

He had served under Chaplain Zakuhl since Lorgar swore allegiance to the Emperor on the surface of Colchis, and was the Chaplain of the Sixth Company of the Third Grand Company, which was commonly abbreviated to the Thirty-Sixth Battle Company. He had fought countless battles and seen many of his brothers fall, but he firmly believed in the righteousness of the Emperor’s cause. Order had to be restored to the galaxy, and the only way to do that was through the Great Crusade, led by the warriors of the Adeptus Astartes.

He had fought the Orks on Calnearan IV, the stubborn humans on Alleura who refused to worship the Emperor, the Eldar pirates that roamed the stars in search of human slaves, and countless other enemies during his time in the Great Crusade, and each conflict reminded Carcerus of his purpose in the s tars. He was a Space Marine, but more than that, he was a Bearer of the Emperor’s word, a brave soul who brought the Emperor’s light to the far reaches of the known universe where others would have turned away from the struggle before them. It had been said that an Astartes could live forever; Carcerus vowed once again that he would not rest until every world in the Imperium bent its knee in acknowledgement of the divine Emperor of man.

Muffled shouts snatched Carcerus from his reverie, and as he looked around he realized that they were coming from Lorgar’s chambers.

“To me, Word Bearers!” Carcerus shouted, drawing his weapons and advancing on the heavy doors as a terrible moan reached his ears.

The doors opened, though not at Carcerus’ bidding, as the Emperor strode out of Lorgar’s room, his face a cold and hard as he marched towards the docking bay where his Adeptus Custodes waited for him.

“My lord?” Carcerus said softly as he advanced towards the trembling figure of Lorgar, who was on his knees with his head held in the palm of his hands.

Lorgar turned his head towards Carcerus, who unconsciously took a step backwards as he saw the grief written in his Primarch’s features. Tears streamed down Lorgar’s cheeks and he held tufts of hair between his fingers.

“LEAVE ME!” Lorgar bellowed, his voice racked with a terrible pain.

Carcerus immediately took control of the situation and left Lorgar’s chambers with Squad Sirvos in his wake.

“Brothers, speak of this to none, not even our fellow Word Bearers. Sirvos, get on the vox and inform the First Chaplain that his attention is required.”

First Chaplain Kor Phaeron, Lorgar’s closest advisor, entered Lorgar’s chambers moments later without a word to Carcerus or the marines of Squad Sirvos. For a month, nobody entered or left Lorgar’s chambers while Carcerus and Squad Sirvos stood watch. A maelstrom of doubt and questions swirled inside the heads of the Word Bearers, but they stood sentinel over their mournful Primarch, determined to remain as long as necessary.

When Lorgar finally emerged, his head was shaven but his face was filled once again with the fiery passion that attracted so many followers. He told of the Emperor’s betrayal, how he claimed that he was not a god and that the Word Bearers were functioning as oppressors rather than the liberators they were meant to be. The Emperor had even compared the Word Bearers to the Ultramarines, pointing to the discrepancy between the number of Ultramarine and Word Bearer victories.

Worship was a human necessity. There would always be a desire for a god, and if the Emperor did not want fulfill the role he was destined to take, then there would be others who would appreciate the zeal of the Word Bearers. The Word Bearers advance continued, but this time in worship of the Chaos gods, deities of true power who rewarded the Word Bearers for their allegiance.

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yay your back, i have read every part and love them, i like how you incorperated the word bearers fluff into your stories and have made them fit perfectly
    Chaos is a decison not a life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

thank you. i've been away for a while with school and all, but with the new codex I couldn't resist writing another section. Adahn said he should be back up and running once he gets internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay I've been reading these and you just made me start a word bearers army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

another Bearer of the Word!

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Hey, it's been a while, man.

Great stuff, as usual. Between the two essays I have to write tonight and WoW, not to mention the new Chaos Codex that I need to find and various other shopping I need to do... I really want to catch up on my fluff, had something going but haven't written for months.

Anyway, here's to more fluff for the fluff gods... now I need to catch up on Warseer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

It has been way too long Imperialis. How have you been doing? Hopefully the fluff gods will continue to inspire me to greatness.

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Got a thread in the Comings and Goings about your query :smile: but I've been alright. I hope they bless me too- I need something to distract me from college classes, which are like high school, but less times a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

Ah yes, the dreaded college courses. I swear, sometimes I want to ram the philosophy book down that professor's throat....but on the plus side, every weekend is a three day weekend for me and I have no classes before 1. I have a nice schedule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Ah, I remember your work. Can't say I've read it in full (sorry!) but it always seemed like pretty solid writing with good spelling and grammar. That's always a plus in my book. Good news for the Angels of the Word, though...

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product....1053&type=Book

Yes. And I have it. It's pretty good so far. I have to admit I doubted Anthony Reynolds for awhile but it seems he's managed to cobble together a decent offering. I was actually under the impression that he only wrote stuff for FB.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast