First own made chapter advice wanted. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First own made chapter advice wanted.

Okay I'm new to this so I'm looking for some advice on my new fluffy army.

They are a chapter known as the firestorms. I"m still thinking of who they are branched from. I'm thinking the salamanders or possibly BA. They are a fleet based chapter Who use drop pods and deep striking terminators to rain down upon the enemies after gaining strategic information from infiltrating squads below that have secured the landing areas. I don't know how this sounds but I hope its okay so far. I"d really like some advice on how to elaborate on this before i do anymore and make some huge mistake. I hope to get some proper fluff up soon. The whole reason for this is because i would really like some help with making a new fluffy army so please feel free to give advise or criticism.

Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you have so far is solid decide on the founding chapter that can answer lots of questions. Salamanders sound good, not over used but not off the wall. Pick out a paint scheam, something you feel you can paint but also not anything like a chapter we already have. Do they have a homeworld or are they fleet based? How many Dreadnoughts can they field? Are they at full strength or have they been reduced in numbers by war or disaster?

Hope I was helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Thought for the Day: Armylists are a three-edged sword. The list your backstory wants. The list that is optimal. The list of models you actually own.
    And HOW.

(\_/)
    (X.X)
    (><) This is Dead Bunny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MyArmys: Points: W/L/D

Imperial Guard: 2250: In Progress.
    Necron: 500: 2/1/1

Join the Imperium today!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

BA successor chapters are generally a no-no, as the Black Rage destroys them fairly quickly.

As for the rest of it, it describes standard marine practice more or less, but with a bit more of a focus on terminator armour and dreadnoughts than most chapters. Maybe you could tie in some AM links and make them a siege-style chapter?

And to get creative juices flowing, visit here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...howtopic=65520

It's an excellent source of information about creating DIY chapters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

The article Xerxes posted is really excellent, and you should enjoy it immensely. Have you considered Raven Guard as well, as it fits your stealthy and quick-striking army. I do have such a soft spot for the Salamanders though, and it may be the best fit based on the information you've posted. Personally, I like to go down a list in creation of:

1. How do I want my chapter to be? (Which you've done somewhat)
    2. How would that reflect in traits, or in being DA, BA, BT, or SW?
    3. Fit #2 to a chapter that my chapter could have broken off from.

Also bear in mind that your chapter can have an unknown, or unstated, point of origin. The example I always give here is the Blood Ravens (although there are many chapters like this), who don't know their primarch, although it has been hinted that they are descended from loyalist Thousand Sons. My own Chapter, likewise, had its history expunged due to a now unknown failure to the Imperium after the Horus Heresy. They were reformed, renamed, limited in their formations and equipment, and placed on their current 10,000 year task (which they recently failed as well, the results of which remain to be seen).

I hope this is helpful to you!

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming. I am currently reading up on all the info on the salamanders as I can find just to make sure my fluff fits into their history and doesn't change anything all ready layed down by GW. The forum topic that Xerxes posted up was a great help and my ideas are starting to look a lot better.

I really hope to have my fluff up soon. Unfortunately it won't be till after I get back from my holiday at the end of the holidays (N.S.W, Australia holidays)
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I look forward to reading some of your new fluff! Best of luck in writing it!

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright of got a few of my ideas together and am just going to write them down in point form. This way if there is something that doesn't look right I can change it before writing the full story. So here it goes...

Chapter: Firestorms
    Colours and symbols: This isn't definite but maybe orange with yellow pads and either a green trim to show their parent chapter or red. Not sure how this will look but it's fairly original as far as I know??
    Founding chapter: Salamanders
    Founding: Their exact date of founding is unknown, the records destroyed or lost from some unknown cause. It is however believed they were found somewhere between the 9th and 13th foundings.
    Combat doctrine (traits): This is also not definite just based on my ideas of the chapter so far. The first trait is see, but don't be seen and I think the cleanse and purify to represent the fact that they have kept some of the ways of their parenting chapter. Another possibility is, I'm sorry I can't remember the name and don't have my codex here, the one that allows you to chose a CCW and BP instead of a bolter. The disadvantages are Flesh over steel I apologize if this is the wrong name and minor one is we stand alone. Like I said this is not set as whats definitely happening just some basic ideas that will hopefully make it easier to start the more elaborate fluff.
    Home world/system: This is going to remain blank until I can finish tomorrow as I have to go out sorry Please keep giving advice as everything helps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

542 (x8)

Okay, personally I'd look to the traits that I'd chosen to build my fluff from where you are (and you have a great start, by the way)! Cleanse and Purify makes sense from being a Salamanders Chapter. Where do you want See, But Not Be Seen to come in from? I use it myself, and I describe my chapter as coming from an urban planet and specializing in urban warfare, where stealth is paramount. In your case, you could use that, or any other reason you can think of, such as environment, enemies, etc.

Next, why does your chapter have the disadvantages it has? What happened to cause the Flesh over Steel Dilemma? Did your chapter once have machines and lost them, or was it undersupplied to begin with? If so, why? It could be that your chapter was being punished in some way, or lost its toys in an attack of some sort. Maybe it has poor ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus? Secondly, why We Stand Alone? Chapters that do so often have very strong reasons for doing so, be it an intolerance of certain allied aspects, such as Warp usage or the like, a deep secret that must be kept (think the Dark Angels and their successors), or perhaps a misunderstanding or conflict that keeps them from working with others even if they wanted to (like the Soul Drinkers being seen as Chaos by the Imperium and Imperial by everyone else).

Using these traits is an excellent way to continue to flesh out questions about background and your home planet/base. I think you've done great work thus far, and should be proud of it, so keep it going as long as you're still having fun (the number one rule)!

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll keep going from where I left off, but first I'd like to as Tekore suggested explain why they have chosen these traits.

Okay Cleanse and purify I've explained. I chose See, but don't be seen to tie in with the Flesh over steel trait and also we stand alone.
    I'll give you a quick sought of explanation.

Once the high lords granted them as a chapter they settled down upon the world they had chosen as their home world. It was a death world known as Sagurus in the Tengaral system on the outer edges of the Imperium (This world is made up as there is no list of every single planet in the Imperium nor is there a list of systems. So instead of looking through worlds and picking one that might stuff up other history and fluff I decided to make my own system and planet. This way I am not changing any history. however if you don;'t think I should do it this way please let me know with a different way to do it. At this point it's temporary unless I can't find some other way to do it) However soon after establishing a keep upon the planet it was attacked by a large ork force. Unprepared for the attack the firestorms took heavy loses. Although they manged to repeal the ork force they lost more than a quarter of their warriors and the majority of their tanks and heavy armour. Although they were offered new tanks the Firestorms refused instead using the tactics they had utilized during the ork assault. This was what lead to the see, but don't be seen trait and why they have the Flesh over steel trait. They refused to accept aid during the battles they were involved in after the ork assault on their home planet doing so as a way of proving themselves as strong chapter that could hold their own in battle. Although they will aid others they will never unless the circumstances are extremely bad call for aid from another chapter or from the imperial guard. That is why they have the we stand alone trait.

If this doesn't sound any good or still you think doesn't answer any questions please tell me so I can fix it. Also if you have any advice in general please tel me as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

542 (x8)

This is great stuff that you're making, have some rep for the effort!

My one suggestion is that this part sounds very similar to the Ork attack on Rynn's World, which led to the decimation of the Crimson Fists Chapter. But if you like it, I don't think it's a big enough thing to worry about .

Quote Originally Posted by grimaldus53 View Post
    However soon after establishing a keep upon the planet it was attacked by a large ork force. Unprepared for the attack the firestorms took heavy loses. Although they manged to repeal the ork force they lost more than a quarter of their warriors and the majority of their tanks and heavy armour.
    Tekore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast