SM headgear question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

SM headgear question

Ok, I need an answer to this question to solve a modeling dilemma, but I believe it's a fluff issue, so I stuck it here. Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.

Basically, I'm planning on three tactical squads for my upcoming 2,000-point Marine crew. For my Sergeants, I'm planning to scratchbuild/convert at least one into a dramatic pose. Now, at one point I hated the idea of the bare-headed marines, which from a fluff perspective always seemed ridiculous to me, even for superhumans. What veteran combatant would be fool enough to enter into ANY environment on ANY planet without a helmet?

I was struck by the metal veteran sergeant model with the pointing powerfisted left finger. He is bare-headed, but if you look at the back, you clearly see his helmet mounted on the belt, easily accessible. Now THIS makes much more sense to me, and while I will never ever use this metal model (simply because EVERYONE else uses it, which should be reason enough not to), I'm now thinking of modeling all my sergeants with bare heads provided I put a helmet on the model, or its base, somewhere within reach.

Now, my problem is finding a fully bare head to use. All the SM tactical squad and assault squad heads now have stuff attached, from the "terminator"-style half-metal job to the guy wearing the respirator over his mouth/nose to the guy with the eye lens over one eye.

As I wonder whatever happened to the good old screaming totally bare-headed marine, my question occurs to me: Would the respirator or eye lens REPLACE the need for a helmet in the field, or could a marine theoretically grab and don a helmet over that stuff, in the event of, I dunno, an acid attack, incoming shell, or whatever?

In other words, if I use, say, the respirator head, then have a helmet on his belt/on the ground next to him, would that be silly/unreasonable?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

There's plenty of stuff that could mess with a Marine without going through a respirator if his head wasn't protected. I'd say your inclusion of their helmets is fine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    There's plenty of stuff that could mess with a Marine without going through a respirator if his head wasn't protected. I'd say your inclusion of their helmets is fine.
    Yeah, but isn't it silly for a guy wearing a respirator to have a helmet too? How would he put it on?

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

if you compare a few of the helmets to the resperaitor and look closely it seems to me that the resperaitor is part of the helmet, maby it was damaged and dscarded?

Plus i dont really think its a resperaitor alone, its got all his inter sqd/command Vox in it too.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Maybe he's got a specially tailored helmet that slots in with his respirator. This would require some work on your part, but no biggie, right? As long as the Marines are adequately protected, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

Lol, cut out the bottom halve of the helmet, so the respirator would just slot right into place? Bit much work, but it makes sense.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Funny fact: the respirator is actually part of the helmet. See Darth Vader.

So all he would do is click the helmet over the respirator, wham bam job's done.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    Funny fact: the respirator is actually part of the helmet. See Darth Vader.

So all he would do is click the helmet over the respirator, wham bam job's done.
    Heh, yeah, I was thinking the same thing. How about those eye lenses they wear sometimes? You know, the monocle-looking things. Could you put a helmet on over that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

yep and you'd have double vision. lolololol

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Weirdly, I was pondering the same question. I do like the angry-faced-shouting guy but you're right- I haven't seen one recently. I'm about half way through a tactical marine who is holding his helmet in one hand (with the eye blown out) and firing his bolter with the other. I wanted a fairly angry looking guy ("You broke my favorite helmet!! Die Die!!) but without looking like he was prepared to go without it normally. With a bit of trimming I used the terminator sergeant head, it's grumpy and mean without extra bionics or whatnot- I used the half metal face for the termie.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast