I'm looking to enlist some help.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking to enlist some help....

It is my intention to start a writing career with the warhammer 40,00 community, and i was wondering if you guys could help me out on giving me some help.

no, i dont want you guys to write the book for me, just to give me some topics and perhaps, as im writing it i can let you guys have a taste, and perhaps you all can tel me how im doing?

so give me a shout-out on what you all want to read and how im doing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are you intrested in 40k is a big place
    Blood for the Blood god

i<---- this should be a forum Smilie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Write about Chaos Space Marines beating up cheating Eldar.

And then going to an all you can eat buffet at pizza hut afterwards and bragging about their combat while munching through melted cheese and roasted vegetables and light fluffy crusts.

In fact.. forget the space marines and eldar, and just write about the pizza.

Yeah... just don't put pineapple on it.. because that'd be really weird and gross.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Write about Chaos Space Marines beating up cheating Eldar.

And then going to an all you can eat buffet at pizza hut afterwards and bragging about their combat while munching through melted cheese and roasted vegetables and light fluffy crusts.

In fact.. forget the space marines and eldar, and just write about the pizza.

Yeah... just don't put pineapple on it.. because that'd be really weird and gross.
    Yeah, I agree with Karmoon. . . except for the pizza part. You should write about chaos because you can write almost anything.

But on the other hand it would probably be more interesting to write about what army you play, unless you don't have an army and just love writing.

If the latter is the case then Chaos all the way.8Y8Y8Y.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Why not write about Night Lords trying to survive while not associating with either the Emperor or the gods of Chaos? They're in an unbelievably tight situation, unable to live in reality because of the Imperium while slowly mutating into what they don't want to be while living in the Eye of Terror. What plans do they have? How do they cope, using Chaos without becoming Chaos? The only Night Lord book so far, 'Lord of the Night', was a real disappointment. Even the protagonist NL was so far gone in bloodlust that he was more a Berserker than a normal Marine. It's an untapped oil field of possibility!

Karmoon's idea is good, too. It's bad enough Eldar are so arrogant; they have to back it up with unstoppable transports and over-the-top Harlequins, too. Write about Word Bearers selling spirit stones to Slaanesh in exchange for more cannon fodder! It should be good for a short story.

Or write a story on an unsuspecting Inquisitor being helped out of a tight spot by Cypher himself. How will the Inquisitor react when he recognizes who Cypher is? What if he still needs Cypher's help?

Or go for the humor angle. A Tau and a Kroot go into a bar....

As to how you're doing so far...well...you need to capitalize the word "I" and start using apostropes....
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    The only Night Lord book so far, 'Lord of the Night', was a real disappointment. Even the protagonist NL was so far gone in bloodlust that he was more a Berserker than a normal Marine.
    Your joking right Intrepid? Sahaal is supposedly one of the omst perfect portrayals of a pre-heresy marine in his opinions towards psykers and his methods/training are as close to the ones employed by pre-heresy night lords as you get. (I'd definately say he was driven, but not by bloodlust. To what lengths would you go to get back what rightfully belonged to you, especially if it was the symbol of authority that gave you authority to wield an entire legion of superhuman warriors?)

I'd say write about either the night lords or alpha legion; I would personally say the AL because unlike the night lords, they don't even have one book.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Lets face it, Chaos 40K has the best fluff by miles. Easily the most depth and as people have said anything is possible.

Alpha Legion in particular is a dynamic legion by anyone's standards. Who else plots the demise of their enemies for 300 years in advance?

Still, I don't know what the above people have against pizza.

Never underestimate pizza. You think it's just some Italian food.. you turn your back on it. Next thing you know it's set you on fire and run off with your girlfriend.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I'd say unless you actually have a well thought through idea, an urge to evolve it and spread it -maybe you should wait with the writing.

You should (or I would) approach it from the completely opposite angle - not what would my audience like. Music written in this way is always boring to listen to, paintings painted in this way are flat and lifeless, poetry..nah.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

I'd start by getting a decent grounding in the fluff first. Or pick an idea and then check it through fluffwise as much as humanly possible. I'm a huge fluff puritan (as most on this forum will tell you), and I'd try to get a decent understanding of the systems and themes of the universe before you start to write about the universe. Here's a good place to start off with questions, or the fluffmaster clan thread (there's a link in the sticky threads part of this forum). Otherwise, just grab any and all background books you can (Black Library is not necessarily accurate on this score, and certainly nothing by Sabretooth is; try codicies and the odd snatches of stuff from White Dwarfs), and get reading to get a more-or-less concrete picture of the 40K fluff situation.

Above all else, stay AWAY from the Inquisition War trilogy!!!!!

As far as topics go, as people say Chaos offers many good possibilities, but is somewhat overdone. I'd like to see the story as told from the grey areas of Tau space; what people think about becoming ge'vesa (sp?), or human auxiliaries in the Tau armies (including possible psychological trauma, how they react to being sterilised, etc), and the Imperial inquisitorial and political response to that; how far does the Tau propaganda spread? How? Who is most taken up by it? It strikes me as a beautiful area to explore.

I've also got the Inferno writing guide at home, which I could type up and send you if you wanted, although it is fairly basic in much of its content (stylistic advising rather than pointers on the background).

Going from that as well, get in touch with GW; they "can supply reference material for any aspect of the GW worlds" according to the Inferno guidelines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Boing.

That's a pretty well-off 40k fanfiction site that has some stringent quality guidelines. I post there, but I'm not telling you under which name. Because then you would find things I've written and be able to read them, and that just will not do.

Otherwise, if you want to do this kind of stuff professionally, my advice is:

1. Live in Britain. They don't take offers from non-Poms overseas.
    2. Get into 2000AD first, which is where 90% of Black Library authors come from.

Remember that writing for Black Library isn't what you might think. You don't go up and say "I have this awesome idea for an Alpha Legion novel," what happens is that GW contacts you and says "We need a book about the Sisters of Battle," or "We need a book about Fallen Dark Angels" and then you go write a book according to their plot guidelines. The most creative freedom you can get nowadays is with Dan Abnett, who gets given a concept and is allowed to run wild with it. Even Eisenhorn was originally created for the Inquisition RPG book; Abnett wrote about him solely because GW said "Write some stuff about an Inquisitor for us. Here's this Eisenhorn guy."
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast