History fluff for a Space Marine chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History fluff for a Space Marine chapter

So I'm slowly working through the fluff for my first army. "Space Marines who like swords" is enough to play a game with but it really lacks for the sheer joy of creation. So here's the founding fluff, then some questions at the end for the Hidden Lamas...err...Fluff Masters.

Homeworld: Montalban

Description:

Montalban is an iceworld similar to Valhalla but not as forbidding. Great herds of ur-bulls wander the cold plains of the 'temperate' zones of the world, facing predation from furred stalkers, and of course humans. The dense evergreen forests of the equator are home to most of the human population, and the people of Montalban, though living in primitive conditions, did retain memories of ancient technology, occasionally finding ruins of ancient settlements and the occasional working lasgun or other powered device. Otherwise the people live much as the people lived during the times of Charlemagne, and the political situation of the world is similar as well, though strangely more democratic. Feudal lords hold great control over their lands, and pay royalties to their next higher lords, until the top of the chain is reached, the ten Great Houses, who hold a competition every five years to determine which House will rule the others. The nature of the competition varies, usually it is single combat between champions, but at times it has been melees, gladitorial combats against dangerous beasts, games of strategy such as chess, and even a dice game once or twice. The ruling house is allowed supreme executive and judicial authority, and has three votes in the Council of the Houses (Eight only get one, the du Lac family gets two due to historical reasons, and are never allowed to challenge to be the Master of the Houses). Even lesser Houses sometimes are able to depose their Great House and assume it's mantle using challenges such as those in the competitions.

History leading up to the founding:

The Great Houses of Montalban lived in relative peace and security for almost 500 years, since the time of the Unification when House du Lac conquered the entire world using gunpowder cannons and ancient lasguns found in the great ruins near the du Lac city Theringa. After the Unification, the du Lacs set the system of Houses and Challenge up, vowing to never take part in it themselves but always having two votes in the Council as a compromise and honor for their great victory. However, members of House Santis slowly grew displeased. They had their own ancient secrets burind in their lands; a ruined shrine to a god called The Shifter of Balances. Members of House Santis secretly prayed there, slowly consuming themselves for a taste of the powers of Chaos, tainting four of the other Houses as well. During the 100th Challenge Competition, House Santis stuck, opening a portal to summon forth hideous daemons to possess their troops, becoming a nearly unstoppable force of destruction. The untainted Houses formed up behind House du Lac as in days of old, and began fighting. But none were prepared for what was to come.

As the battle lines formed at the plains of Theringa, the ragtag elements of the pure Houses prepared to fight to the death against the horrifying Chaos daemons, pinpricks of light appeared in the heavens, like falling stars streaking towards the ground. The Houses prayed for a miracle; it came in the form of Space Marine drop pods carrying the finest of the Crimson Fists 2nd and 5th Companies, who had been deployed nearby assisting in fighting off a Tyranid incursion across three worlds. With them was Imperial Fists Chapter Master Lysander, who had been searching for a world to base a new Founding of the Imperial Fists geneseed upon. The Space Marines fall from the heavens frightened away the daemonhosts and daemons of the Santis army, who decided it would be best to regroup and hit another day, with a more augmented force. The war for the planet was brutal, but the mighty Space Marines held the day, with Karel du Lac and Chapter Master Lysander both involved in destroying the shrine to Chaos and banishing the Lord of Change who inhabited it. To honor the Marines who were their salvation, the people of Montalban agreed to help build a Chapterhouse in the frozen wastes to the far north, naming the chapter the Swords Saltire for the heraldry of House du Lac. They brought forth their sons to be tested for the potential to take the geneseed and become Space Marines themselves. Karel du Lac even brought his only son Durandal, who was to become the first Chapter Master of the Swords Saltire.

Wall of text! Anyway, now for the questions.

1) I haven't stepped on any names, have I? Montalban, Durandal, etc.?

2) Is Lysander old enough to have done this? I'm assuming this was at least three or four hundred years ago, as it takes a good while to get a Chapter off the ground (55 years for the geneseed alone, plus training, first combats, final creation of the veterans squads of the 1st Company, plus the fact that for my army list I want Durandal to be a Veteran Dreadnought.)

If this is totally not how new Chapters get founded, then by all means let me know and I'll rewrite. That's the beauty of doing all this now before I even have the books, let alone the models.

Last edited by badmartialarts; November 4th, 2007 at 11:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Interesting stuff. I've only got one real issue (apart from the Daemon army running away at the first sight of a fight) and that's Lysander leading the Crimson Fists. Surely they'd have their own chapter master to follow?
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking he was just with them. I don't know the relationship between the Crimson and Imperial Fists, and whether that could happen or not...but it makes sort of fluff-sense in my head, if the Imperial Fists had clearance to found a new sub-chapter and the Crimson Fists jsut happened to be called to cleanse some xeno scum, that Lysander might want to tag along and see if the planets were suitable. And when their astropaths or librarians started noticing a Chaos incursion into normal space, they might want to check it out. Rewriting it to be a sub-founding of the Crimson Fists, or just saying it was an Imperial Fists force from the get go, wouldn't be too hard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

1. You haven't stepped on any names that I can see.

2. Lysander first shows up around the M40 500's, so roughly 6-700 years before the "current" Warhammer time (acknowledging that time is flexible in Warhammer). His date of death is unknown. So you should be good there.

I see your idea with the Crimson Fists and Lysander, but simplifying things like this never hurts. You would probably be better off changing it to the Imperial Fists or a Crimson Fists Chapter Master.

Hope this helps!

Tekore

+ Reply to Thread