am I a heretic?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

am I a heretic?!

I have come to an interesting situation within my Chapter's fluff.
    My chapter, the Iron Dragons, is descended from a small group of Imperial Fists that was left as a reargaurd when Dorn and his men returned to Terra. Being cut off in this fashion, they were isolated from the majority of the war. When they were discovered several hundred years later, they surprised everyone:

THEY ARE NOT CONVINVED OF THE EMPEROR'S DIVINITY

They still recognize him as their glorious leader, and great man, but they do not beleive that he is *the* god. They do understand and comprehend the Chaos gods.

However, what has happened- is that the chapter slowly assimilated the religion of the planet where it was stationed. In this new religion, the Emperor became a great emmissary of a lesser god- similar to a Messiah. A greater god rules over a large pantheon of lesser and demi- gods. These lesser gods are manifested in great heroes; the four powers of chaos, and the power of light -which was present in the emperor before he DIED.
    The chapter now adheres to the beleif that the emperor is still their leader, but look skeptically at followers of the emperor's personality cult.

So, i was wondering if such a view would have resulted in the immediate death of my chapter, or if would be acceptable. Note- they do not beleive that the Emperor is a 'divine being' but instead, he is merely the vessel of one, and were he left to die, the being would move to another worthy person.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Well to be honest, I think that many SM chapters follow the belief that the Emperor is not necessarily a god, which is why SM chapters are required to have chaplains in order to ensure that their faith is not heresy.

However in your instance you're riding a gray line there. As I said before, some SM chapters do not technically WORSHIP the Emperor, but they do not worship anything else either. If your chapter recognizes a higher power than the emperor and worships it accordingly, then yes, your chapter is a bunch of filthy heretics.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Most (note, most) Chapters do not think of the Emperor as a God. More like the perfect human which all should strive to become like. Of course, it depends on who you ask. The Black Templars are quite zealous in their beliefs in the God-Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's actually a common point of contention (re: accusations of herersy/threats of destruction) between the Imperium/inquisition and the SMs.

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Indeed. It's the involvement of the Chaos Gods that would get your Chapter in trouble. They'd have to disguise it really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

A lot of Chapters refuse to believe in the Emperor as a god because their historical records are generally better than the Administratum's, and they know more about the Heresy and Crusade-era society than most. They think it more appropriate and in many ways more respectful to think of him as just an exceedingly powerful man. I mean, if you're a god, people expect you to be powerful because you're a god. You don't get any respect for that. Now being a man who is as powerful as a god? That takes effort, and a lot of skill.

Besides, you can't really believe in him as a god if you know many Chapter legends, such as the Space Wolves, who say that Russ and the Emperor had a fist-fight in which the Emperor kicked the crap out of Russ. Now gods don't go around getting into fist-fights, because they're gods and it's not really a god-like thing to do (as opposed to shapeshifting into a bull and raping some maidens in some nearby fields, which is very godlike.) The fact that the Emperor participated in something as earthy and normal as a brawl, and was also damn good at it, makes him more appealing to martially oriented Marine culture.

So, no, you're not a heretic, your Chapter is just normal.

If you want them to be special, have them worship the Emperor as a god. No Space Marines do that.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

I just got back after months away and ze_poodle makes me laugh right away! That last line is priceless!

I agree with the comments above. You have alot of freedom with your chapter's views. Now I can definitely see that your chapter is on a slippery slope to heresy. If they continue with practicing their world's religion, eventually there will be trouble. Chaos has infected the populace and Chaos isn't content to stay a bud of rebellion. It will one day make its move on the people and try to fully corrupt them. Then your chapter will be forced to choose. And if your chapter ever decides that losing the Emperor is no big deal and either lets it happen or tries to replace him themselves, they will certainly find themselves on the naughty list.

Sounds interesting so far. Be sure to let us see your colour-scheme and chapter emblem soon!
    Staunch supporter of rigid Moderation.

Senior Member image vertification sux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neurodisruptor View Post
    I just got back after months away and ze_poodle makes me laugh right away! That last line is priceless!

I agree with the comments above. You have alot of freedom with your chapter's views. Now I can definitely see that your chapter is on a slippery slope to heresy. If they continue with practicing their world's religion, eventually there will be trouble. Chaos has infected the populace and Chaos isn't content to stay a bud of rebellion. It will one day make its move on the people and try to fully corrupt them. Then your chapter will be forced to choose. And if your chapter ever decides that losing the Emperor is no big deal and either lets it happen or tries to replace him themselves, they will certainly find themselves on the naughty list.

Sounds interesting so far. Be sure to let us see your colour-scheme and chapter emblem soon!
    put it this way if a inquisitor and grey knights found out your chapters doing they would purify you by throwing a load of lance strikex onto your home planet and finish anything left and fly off to some chaos worshipping similar to your chapters...
    but on the other hand they could be classed as radicals seen as they still belive in the emperor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x3)

I think it's all perspective....and chance. The first time i read your little qwurp (is that a word?) I thought to myself immediatly, "wow, these guys are toast". Then i thought...well most space marines dont think of the empoer as a god....but...theres just something about your post that makes me go for my hellpistol.....[I]purge[I]. I think it's this pantheon of other gods. It's ok to think the emporer is not a god (as long as the grey knights arent near) but when you put him in perspective to a pantheon of other gods, then i think your chapter will have some trouble.

In the 40k millenium, your either an athiest, or a fanatic.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The pantheon of my gods are very similar to the pantheon of old pagan cultures. They have gods linked to many natural features and phenomenons, and each god has a symbol in extension. The goddess linked to the Moon however, is also linked to revenge and honor-killings.
    The way my chapter views the Chaos gods is as 4 of 10 eldest children. Slaanesh essentially made a pact with Tzeentch to steel away Khorne's wife. To do this, they framed one of the loyal sons. Khorne was awakened, and he and a trusted friend slaughtered the loyal son. Khorne and his comrade were at first pardoned of their crime, and Slaanesh and Tzeentch were cast out by their father. But later, Khorne and his pal (who later becomes Nurgle) are found to be guilty of other crimes and are also dispelled. They and their offspring now plot together to overthrow the Good that was taken from them. Basically Chaos marines...

As for colors and heraldry, this chapter is already painted and written for- this question was just to get a feel for how their religion would impact a campaign we were thinking of. The chapter has all black armor, with deep-red shoulders and gold trim. Thier symbol is a black dragon, similar to the white-silhouette present on Black Dragon marines. My chapter, however, goes by the name Iron Dragons. The name reflects the native religion, which worships fantastical dragons, and also their stern and grim disposition.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast