Librarium Online Forums banner

Legion formation

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  AlbinoAlien 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m still new to this site and I wanted to post both my army list and maybe a background story on my army the "Phoenix Legion" I get good reviews on it from my friends so I wanted to know what the librarium community thought...
So without further a due I present my Legion of men

The Phoenix legion was formed shortly after the Armageddon war, Orks has torn through the planet and with all that was happening men were dying and retreating. But also there were incredible feats of heroism against orks that caught the eyes of many Imperial leaders. These men including many Steel Legion elites and commando teams formed by Commissar Yarrik to remove Ork war factories and other hardened structures. It was because of these amazing feats that some believed that ordinary men if trained properly and molded right they could be used to form a mighty space marine chapter.

So with this done a Chaplain known as Master Rexous, formed the bedrock of a legion created solely from elites taken from imperial armies from all around imperial space. Master Rexous began construction on his citadel and fortress training facility on a planet called Vendarren X, a Hive world belonging to an Inquisitor called Ueran Jecre. A rather large and pompous and barbaric Leader, he used it as a major Heavy metal mining world, through a series of “aggressive” negotiations the Inquisitor relinquished the world to the Legions future master and for 40 years he began constructing the ultimate fortress above and beneath the planet’s surface. Once constructed the Master Chaplain began having his men sent to the fortress word to sign their names to a Charter officially forming the Phoenix Legion.

After a grueling 3 year training program the new soldiers were then prepared for a DNA manipulation program that would combine the gene seed of a Marine with a basic human and hopefully creating a warrior worthy of the emperors glory. A great many Adeptus Mechanicus priests were needed for this, so the Master Chaplain ordered over 50 of the best Mechanical priests they could find to help with this. A great many applicants were found in the beginning decade's that theres were at any one time around 3,000 veteran guardsman making theri home on Vendarren X . Due to the hard and extremely dangerous training the guardsman went through it was plain to see that the Legion would be slow to grow and since most ordinary men didnt survive the DNA transformation it made it even more rare that the legion could have the 1,000 battle brothers that formed a chapter. So at the end of the 60th year of formation the chapter had only 100 Marines created and was still lacked veterans who could be used to train new recruits. This was to change soon…

**Incoming enemy transmission**
From on board the High Overlord Yelkar’s “The Light Ender” Flag ship the Eclipse he plans his assault on the Hive world… “RAAAAAH!! Don’t tell me you fool that we can’t do it! If you do I swear to Tzeentch ill tear out your heart and feast on your corpse!” The lowly shell of a man that stood before the very angry chaos lord shook with fear and simply responded “th… th…the… Khorne berserkers you summoned to aide us are refusing to follow your orders, a…an...and the sorcerer’s are wanting sacrifice before the invasion….” All the chaos lord did was touch the man on the shoulder and respond “Fine… if they want blood, then blood they shall get….” The chaos lord then grabbed the man and using his unholy strength tore the limb from limb and dragged his body to his guard and yelled, “TELL THOSE DAMNED SORCERERS TO BE READY FOR INVASION TOMORROW!!”
**Transmission lost…. **

See less See more
#2 ·
nice, i like the way it goes from backgrount to fiction work , thats good.

however, i feel im really going to demoralise you here but im sorry.

Space marines cant be made into marines if they are taken over the age of (roughly) 14-15, for biological reasons it just doesnt work, if you read some of the fiction works this gets mentiond once or twice, and especialy in decent of angels, luther is to old to become a marine so he undergoes a programme of surgicly placeing the organs in (where as they are grown inside young marines) while he does become a mighty warrior, by far enhanced compared to a "human" he is still never on par with a full marine.

#6 ·
Now more formaly known as the "youth army" , represented by conscripts in the game, all of them are 14-16yr olds who have to prove themselfs before being accepted into the ranks of a regiment.

known as "white shields" after the distinct white stripe down the center of their helmet, denoteing them as members of the youth army.

#7 ·
hmm... the idea is certainly cool. But like everyone is saying, it wouldn't be done.
Obviously, you have to be a youth to be incepted into the marines. That's overcome with the idea of the Child Armies.
But I highly doubt that the Cadians would give up their Whiteshields (I always thought they called them 'Meatshields'... thing on the helmet was just to help draw fire :? )

Even if a gaurd formation was willing to give up such a large pool of (obviously very promising) resources, nobody would create a chapter from it. Getting that amount of geneseed would be nearly impossible. Implanting it into the youths would take ages, especially with only 50adepts to do it. That, and the fact that the army would be entirely un-trained. No senior leadership, it would be a waste of marines.

Just say that your chapter was nearly decimated in the Armageddon War, and quickly began taking in vengeful orphans (often found fighting alongside resistance and pro. soldiers alike) from the conflict. These new troops returned to the fighting as scouts, and won all of their great victories. An unlikely 'scout army' of marines.

Or, if you wanted to stick to the bio-upgraded men idea, don't use power armor or call them marines. Use scouts. and servitors and such.

#18 ·
@albinoalien: already covered the option to use scouts. I guess I'd second(?) your opinion?
Or, if you wanted to stick to the bio-upgraded men idea, don't use power armor or call them marines. Use scouts. and servitors and such.
Yup, thanks for the rep and I actually like the idea of your fluff. I am a huge fan of fighting to the last breath (look at sig, look at avatar). When I'm losing, my endgame tactic is ALWAYS to fight my way to the tallest point on the board and defend it hopelessly, regardless of the actual mission criteria.

I would cut back the numbers of your men though. 3,000 troops is an effective gaurd formation, and would have still been very active amidst all the carnage. It would be more likely that they would be placed into remnant squads and ordered to fight until they were all dead- Armageddon was a nasty place, like a desert-verion of Stalingrad. Just read the old codex (with the original Black Templars, Salamanders, and Mech. Company lists)

So, cool idea, but you were just over-reaching. We've all done it befor, sometimes you just have to admit that something really is "too cool"
happy holidays, and may Father Nurgle- i mean... Santa Clause- bless you with many gray plastic gifts.
:drinking:

#8 ·
well i get this alot from "Veteran" players who read the books and such, that it couldnt be done, i dont question how physykers can shoot lightning out of their hands and i would think that in 41st milenium that the DNA tech would be better, again just a thought thats why i stated very few live the process of marines
(also explains why i always have high body count in games ;?)

but again i dont like thought of clones and imperials are little too.... unorganized in games comapre to how i play with marines

anyhow i just thought id share it here again besides certain stubborn and rude older players i get good reviews bout this and again nobody questions how a human can shoot lightning out of their hands so they never question how my guys are able to be "upgraded" to a partial state of Marine'ness

i have other part of story on disk i keep adding to it and it continues with assault ... ect i didnt post it simply cause didnt know how it would be butchered
but thanks for reading it though

#10 ·
the basics to fluff writing

i wasn't trying to be rude. Being rude would be to tell you that it won't work becuase "we say so" and just leaving it at that. I think everyone here has given constructive criticism. If you've ever submitted any kind of material to anyone, you'll realized that it's common (and unfortunately sometimes painful) to hear less-than-positive feedback from readers.

I hear all the time that my own personal chapter would be purged and virus-bombed for their skewed religious views and more sinister character. And that chapter doesn't bend any of the 'canon' rules of fluff.

The problem is- the game is a work of fiction. However, you must still work within the set grounds of that fictional world. Here's a bit of philosophy:

Reality is perceptive. You only 'know' what you can see. For all we know, this life could be the matrix and we're really all asleep on some dead-planet called Etta. However, since we all chose to accept this view of life (that we live on earth etc.) as reality, it is reality.
--for more on this, look into the greek philosophy of the Cave of Shadows (don't recall which philosopher it was, don't have my notes with me)

so, basically- in our "40k Reality" we accept that a psyker can shoot lightning bolts from his fingertips, orks are walking spores, and that vampire-like C'tan feed on the souls of stars. We believe this because GW tells us that this is true. In fluff terms, this is the 'cannon'
Then comes more deviant beleifs. Things that while GW doesn't explicitly say is true or possibly, they also don't refute. This includes all DIY chapters that are created normally, as foundings. This includes the great Imperial Gaurd companies and the Eldar Pirate lists. This type of fluff is generally accepted. It may take some tweaking to de-bug things that go against cannon, but it's still workable fluff.
Lastly there's broken fluff. Fluff that goes against what GW has explicitly stated is possible. Some things are just impossible. A common one is the Half-Eldar/Human hybrid. It doesn't work. Sure, it works in DnD, works in WHFB (read Gilead's Blood) and works in most other fantasy settings. It is explicitly stated in GW's 40K fluff that it cannot work. This is why the "Veteran" players who read the books and such" are giving you such a hard time. We know more of the cannon than what you do. It's fine, it just shows we probably devote too much time to the hobby.

You can argue and rail this up and down, and I'll agree that a player can do what he wants with the fluff, it's just a game. But then you better agree with that when my little sister makes up the Eldar Autarch "Lord Killiness of the Craftworld Superdestructor" who can shoot lightning from his butt, burp fireballs, and kill half your army with a snap of his fingers because he is 'the Chosen of Khaine'. That's what happens when you ignore fluff.

Sorry- THAT may have been rude. Mods may delete it if they like, i was just being helpful.

#11 ·
Well siad, rep for that man there.

no one ment to be rude, i submitted my fluff and it got total destoryed, so i went away, thought about what others had said, re wrote it , posted it again, got picked at, did it a 3rd time and guys loved it, thats the whole point of posting it here, to get opinions, re construct and get more opinions, not very many people can post fluff and it be good first time round.

#12 ·
Well c'mon guys now! I thought you were a bit harshish. *who am i to talk lol?*
How about this fellas. He CAN use these veteran guardsmen, and here's the loophole.
During the Horus Heresy, there were quite a few older fellas that wanted to join the legions, so instead of getting gene seed (eliminates the gene seed fluff problem) they get special augmentations and such. So, use a SCOUTS profile to represent your converted guardsmen into near space marine soldiers! Right?? I think this works perfectly! Plus, they are troop choices, so it dosent inhibit your force organization chart! And if you want real space marines, say these are the veteran marines drawn to teach the recruits! and your commander can be your veteran chaplain fellow. See! There's always a way around these gruffy old fluff veterans.

#14 ·
Well personally I really liked the whole idea of the war orphans being recruited into a SpaceMarine Chapter ( they are called chapters now not legions) Just make it so that a few DIY chapters or even one, got there asses handed to them on armagedden. Not being able to reform under offical codex guidelines these chapters ( or chapter) have started to take the most promising recruits from the war orphans. Make it so the chapter was always a bit sketchey with the imperium and the =I= and the rest will all fit in. I would make them a spaceborn chapter so that there battlebarge could be in orbit with the apothicarion and the chapters spirtural center.

Not a bad idea actually. =o];Y

Plus you got to remember in the last 10,000 years things have tended to go backwards IE technology and medical advancments. So the processes they had during the Great Crusade nolonger exist. Also FYI one of the reasions that so many chapters turned traitor was the exceleraited Gene-Seed process which could turn a man into a Marine in about 18 months.

#15 ·
oh no no no i wasnt trying to say u guys were rude far from it
you guys stated your opinions that all i was merely trying to say that ive met rude ppl before who swear up and down like it was a bible or something no thx for reading it and for the feedback
if you thought i was calling you rude sorry :p and ya the story is set down by GW i mean it says on the nice lil boxes we all buy to make our armies just thats why i play WH40k it is a very ..... creative game you could make a tank from the parts of 3 other tanks and rules say you can give it whatever (not that your opponent will let you use it) but thats beauty of this game 8X

again thanks for responding to it just again ive met ppl in past who are quite brutal bout the facts thats all ;?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.